Xbox One claims the new-gen sales lead for two weeks, time to celebrate

Xbox One claims the new-gen sales lead for two weeks, time to celebrate

xb1review_hedimg_630px_take1.jpg

Good news for Xbox One: a combination of lower prices (through a mix of new SKUs, bundles, and "temporary" price cuts), updated software and newly released exclusives like Sunset Overdrive and Halo Master Chief Collection have sales on the upswing. According to VP of Marketing Yusuf Mehdi, based on internal data the Xbox One led "generation 8" sales in the US for the last two weeks, as sales more than tripled once the new $349 price rolled out. Of course, as good as sales seemingly are, Microsoft isn't giving detailed sold-to-customer numbers like the ones we've seen from Sony, only announcing that it will soon hit 10 million Xbox One consoles sold to retailers. For reference, in August Sony claimed it's already put 10 million PS4s in gamer's hands. Ever since the Xbox One was originally announced Microsoft has made a number of changes to its initial approach to win back gamers, but hasn't been able to catch Sony's PS4 yet. So let us know, have you seen enough to consider going Xbox this holiday season?

Source: Engadget

Claiming "sales lead" based on what? Do they have PS4 numbers before NPD releases them now?

"internal data" is what it says, internal. They haven't a clue what PS4 is selling in the same period.

Claiming "sales lead" based on what? Do they have PS4 numbers before NPD releases them now?

"internal data" is what it says, internal. They haven't a clue what PS4 is selling in the same period.

Bing predictions are pretty accurate. Maybe they asked Cortana.

you seriously don't think retailers share sales data with all the major video game companies? they get this info just like npd does.

• Like 2

Calm down man. :|

Actual figure sources would be nice, Microsoft. I'm not sure i trust Sony's figures either though.

I know me and two friends just got one.  We were all waiting for the games apparently, and the kickass bundles sealed the deal for two of us.

• Like 1

Did anyone even bother to read that it's for US only?

If they beat the PS4 in holiday sales in the U.S, a permanent and world wide price drop will happen soon after.

Halo sell consoles.

Halo doesn't work.

I'm ready for a full refund.

MS fails again.

There's a difference between a game not working... and a game's feature not working...

Either be more specific or don't post lies.

?

I'm perfectly calm

I thought your point was entirely valid (and calmly put). How can you know you've beaten your competition if you only have your own internal sales data and not theirs? What are you comparing it with?

Good for the Xbox if they been able to take the lead, but I think you need more comprehensive figures than "We've sold a lot, probably more than Sony".

• Like 2

Clearly this was skillfully time released by PR to get a headline as...

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayStation/status/533039328415715328

You really think it will just not carry on like this forever in the US.

That was expected by everyone wasn't it? The price cut has only been for the last 2 weeks so granted how many consoles did Microsoft actually sell in those weeks when everyone knew the price cut was coming in a fortnight?

Next months NPD data will show how successful the price cut has been when it's been in place for at least a month.

Even though Microsoft did jump the gun with this announcement and don't really know if they outsold the PS4 for the two weeks I think its pretty safe to assume it did. Price cut plus release of Halo (even though its a HD remake, its still going to sell consoles).

In other news COD: Advance Warfare sales -

375262-medium.jpeg
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
Activision, Shooter 3,048,617 3,048,617 1 
375259-medium.jpeg
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (XOne)
Activision, Shooter 2,058,589 2,058,589 1

Used to sell much better on Xbox 360 rather than the PS3 but it seems the tide has turned this gen.

Even though Microsoft did jump the gun with this announcement and don't really know if they outsold the PS4 for the two weeks I think its pretty safe to assume it did. Price cut plus release of Halo (even though its a HD remake, its still going to sell consoles).

375262-medium.jpeg

375259-medium.jpeg

Used to sell much better on Xbox 360 rather than the PS3 but it seems the tide has turned this gen.

Makes sense... More PS4's in consumers hands... and it's actually a decent game this time around..

This shouldn't be much of a shock...

375262-medium.jpeg

375259-medium.jpeg

Makes sense as the PS4 is probably in double the consumer hands...so actually, the tide really hasn't turned, as that is definitely not a 2:1 ratio in game sales right there.

375262-medium.jpeg

375259-medium.jpeg

That would mean more if the console unit sales were closer. Doesn't the ps4 have a more than 2million lead? You would think the gap for COD would more than just under 1million. Makes me think the gap has more to do with the higher ps4 adoption.