Windows 10 9879 New features

"DockingController"

It's a new app in build 9879, it crashes if you try to open it, if you add a shortcut to desktop and try to open file location nothing happens.

http://i.imgur.com/xMcHXLE.png

Opening file location from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs brings you to C:\WINDOWS\DockingController

It still crashes from there, with a different error http://i.imgur.com/1v21JEG.png

_____

"Insider Hub" a new Feedback/patch notes app

The updated onedrive app "Microsoft OneDrive"

The "PC Settings" app has weirdly been renamed "zPC Settings"

"DockingController"

It's a new app in build 9879, it crashes if you try to open it, if you add a shortcut to desktop and try to open file location nothing happens.

Opening file location from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs brings you to C:\WINDOWS\DockingController

It still crashes from there, with a different error http://i.imgur.com/1v21JEG.png

_____

The previous build had both zPC and PC settings, it is not new. It also had docking controller

That was in 9860 as well. Its there consolidation of Control Panel and PC Settings.

Is there a new icon for folders? I saw it in the blog post.

new_icons.png

There is, it isn't used throughout the system yet. The icon theme as well as the entire UX is still very much a work in progress.

These new builds are getting worse than the previous one... What is going on MS?

How so exactly?

not a good sign of you start to thank a company because of a build being better than the previous one.

So he's supposed to be mad because they are getting better? What's wrong with words of encouragement?

If you goto the metro PC Settings, and Storage Sense
You will now see 2 options: Storage Overview and Save Locations.

If you click on This PC it will give you a detailed run-down on what is filling up your hard disk. This is new cool feature :D (at least the first time ive seen it anyway)

• Like 2

These new builds are getting worse than the previous one... What is going on MS?

They specifically said that at times updates may adversely affect other things that were working right before.  But since you didn't point out what specific things are "worse than the previous one" I can't really say what you might be talking about.  Maybe running a Tech preview isn't for you.  Or just give feedback to Microsoft about something that isn't working right.  That's the entire point of this preview.

Apart from a couple of hiccups with Steam and some games I havn't had any big problems with the new build. I would go on record as to say each build seems to bring bigger and better things. 
Its only a small thing but the new icons really change everything. Im hoping the notification box and search box gets updated thou, thats my current biggest gripe.

It's a technical preview for a reason. You are getting a dev build that has not gone through polish. Dedicated bug fixes and optimisation usually happen once a product has been feature-frozen.

The new folder icons take forever to refresh and when you scroll they refresh every time. I realize, I may not have the fastest hardware in the world but with the previous icons I did not have this issue.

"DockingController"

_____

No, it's availabled on 9860. But it unactive when i opened..

not a good sign of you start to thank a company because of a build being better than the previous one.

Haha ridiculous. Hey Microsoft, I will not thank you for improving the OS!! :rofl:

My post was also a direct play on words to the poster who was complaining a few posts before mine. Only negative opinions allowed?

I don't have any issues thanking Microsoft for listening to customer feedback and implementing it in newer builds. Build 9879 proves they do.

• Like 2

Well, 9879 seems to have borked things at my end. It disabled SLI and gave an error about system changes - when I reinstalled the graphics drivers I can now no longer access the nVidia Control Panel. Further, Steam is now stuck in an infinite loop and I can't launch games.

This build is a complete disaster. Very unimpressed.  :angry:

PS - For some reason my keyboard is now playing up. The backspace button seems to delete things too quickly, which is hard to get used to; I also lost some information I cut and tried to paste when writing this comment, which couldn't be undone via Ctrl-Z.

Well, 9879 seems to have borked things at my end. It disabled SLI and gave an error about system changes - when I reinstalled the graphics drivers I can now no longer access the nVidia Control Panel. Further, Steam is now stuck in an infinite loop and I can't launch games.

PS - For some reason my keyboard is now playing up. The backspace button seems to delete things too quickly, which is hard to get used to; I also lost some information I cut and tried to paste when writing this comment, which couldn't be undone via Ctrl-Z.

Try uninstalling Nvidia Control Panel. Run a cleaning tool, like CCleaner. Try running sfc /scannow in the administrator prompt. Check task manager for anomalies.

And, when reinstalling the Nvidia Control Panel, perform a clean install.

BTW, didn't know if this existed earlier. But Pressing Win Key + A pops up the notification center.

2qd8o46.jpg

Dunno if this was in previous builds. But it seems that we will also be having a new customization option for the new start.

BTW, something new is the snapping of the mouse when you right click the Windows Button on the left corner. It seems that it snaps to the bottom of the menu.

Don't run it as a production OS and you won't be annoyed when your machine breaks (you SHOULD just be testing it, right ;)?). Besides, can't mimic your results, Steam works fine here on a NVIDIA card with their latest drivers.

Ughh... if they could stop reinstalling all of these pointless Metro apps, I would much happier.

Who says that you have to use them (if you think they are useless)?

What we keep forgetting - all OS/distribution providers provide/include software that very few folks use.  Just because it's there, do you HAVE to use it? (I know of Windows users (back to both 3.x AND NT 3.x) that have never (as in ever) used either Write OR WordPad (the successor to Write.)  The ModernUI apps I myself use - except for some games - are third-party OR downloaded from the Windows AppStore.  (The sole exception is OneDrive - which has been included with all the Technical Preview builds to date - and I use that on my notebook; going forward, I'll be downloading to from the AppStore (part of the Release Notes for 9879 warns us that OneDrive Explorer - the ModernUI app - will only be on the AppStore going forward).  I DO use OneDrive on my desktop - I just use it via File Explorer - the 8.1 method.