Any Observium users in here?

So i just found this gem today  :| and i'm really interested in it; any users that can share their opinions, caveats, experiences?

thanks all.

I had it running at home for a while, and it is running at work - just the free version.

It is very slick and easy to get running.  I have some issues with the lack of disable interfaces shown.. Complete lack of adding any hosts that don't do snmp - but has smokeping integration, so why can I not just have a host in there for monitoring via smokeping, etc.

Support via mailing lists is pretty bad, and don't ask them why they don't have a forum where it would be easier to look up threads of questions, have discussions on use, etc.  They will bite your head off ;)

Its great for monitor switches, not so much windows host - with the way windows does interfaces, and its very ###### snmp - and the lack of being able to just hide them.  A host will show like 13 interfaces, etc. I just setup cacti at home - not as slick looking, and bit more work to get your graphs going vs observium...  But that is where they pointed when I asked on the mailing list why there was no forum ;)  hehee

I had it running at home for a while, and it is running at work - just the free version.

It is very slick and easy to get running.  I have some issues with the lack of disable interfaces shown.. Complete lack of adding any hosts that don't do snmp - but has smokeping integration, so why can I not just have a host in there for monitoring via smokeping, etc.

Support via mailing lists is pretty bad, and don't ask them why they don't have a forum where it would be easier to look up threads of questions, have discussions on use, etc.  They will bite your head off ;)

Its great for monitor switches, not so much windows host - with the way windows does interfaces, and its very ###### snmp - and the lack of being able to just hide them.  A host will show like 13 interfaces, etc. I just setup cacti at home - not as slick looking, and bit more work to get your graphs going vs observium...  But that is where they pointed when I asked on the mailing list why there was no forum ;)  hehee

lol

For what i see it looks good but yeah, this is just for network appliances; it relies on SNMP for windows hosts and it's very incomplete (i have a Spiceworks for them so it's OK for me), but i guess this is a startup project since there is so much MIBs missing and lack of support for some vendors. Hopefuly the product will mature.

About Cacti: i never used, can you provide your experience, pro/cons?

Yeah it looked good from what I saw. Not implemented it yet. 

thanks for the input! going to fiddle with it more this weekend..

cacti is very mature - been around for years.  Simple stuff like graphing cpu usage, uptime, network util, etc. very simple - when you want to do something fancy its a bit more complicated and need to understand the OID structure maybe add your mibs, etc.

What is slick about observium is all the mibs they have there, and the auto detection - point it as something and it shows pretty much everything you would want.  I would suggest you give it a look see to be sure.

As for cacti - for example here is my esxi host graphs.  I keep meaning to add some more hosts, I want to add my printer for example, and have not added any info from my unifi AP as of yet - and was wondering if I could add info from my nest thermostat, etc.. I have as bad habit of playing with something, and then trying something else, etc. So I might have a system running for a few months/weeks - for example when new release of observium comes out I might fire that up and turn off cacti, etc.  Been playing with graylog2 as of late -- that is slick ###### too ;)

post-14624-0-53285900-1415970677.png

So for example have all syslog going to graylog so I can search pretty much on anything and get all the syslog entries..  Which reminds me need to make some changes on esxi - its sends way to much info ;)

post-14624-0-87611800-1415970758.png