How to pin point the exact issue slowing down the windows pc?

I have a core i7 laptop (Asus K55VD with 8gb ram). The lap should be faster than my core i3 pc (At least the same). But it's not. It's slow. I have Windows 8.1. What might be the problem? How to exactly pinpoint the issue? Is it Windows, Ram, Cpu, Hard drive?

Run tests. Memory test, HDD test, Malwarebytes, clean your laptop out, check temps, etc. Troubleshooting is what you want to do, there is no surefire answer.

Right Click on the start button > Event Viewer > Custom Views > Administrative Events

Some errors are to be expected, and you can have a lot of fun googling what the hell they all mean.

Recently found out one of my HDD's was diying as it was throwing up tons of errors in there.

As the other guy's have said, you need to do some analytical thinking, and process of elimination.

What exactly is slow ?
How is it slow ?
Can you repeat it ?
Does it only happen in certain things ?

Too many startup things can slow things down.

But since you claim its really really slow

Check for malware

Get HDTune trial - run the error check to see if you got a bad HDD

If that passes,

Time to start trimming the fat, you'll speed things up and theoretically limit the variables making the problems.

All drivers installed ?

Only other thing I can offer on limited info is check the event logs

• Like 1

Increase RAM, if possible

Get a SSD drive

Limit number of programs/processes running

Some anti-virus software hog more resources than others

Clean Registry

Keep laptop cool

Check for viruses/Malware

If you can run the Windows Experience Index, it will show you the weakest link of your hardware.

You can then consider upgrading that part:

post-37120-0-73849400-1416126710.png

Increase RAM, if possible

Clean Registry

Increasing RAM isn't a silver bullet. Unless your system is especially deficient for the tasks your trying to achieve, adding RAM will do very little. If anything. If you have 8GB and then add another 8 and expect double the speedssss you're probably going to be sorely disappointed.

Registry cleaning seems to be another thing that's kind of dicey. A lot of those programs that scan registries and delete entries aren't particularly useful. At best it is a waste of time, at worst it deletes important entries. Make sure you back up you registry before you start deleting stuff.

Get a SSD drive

Limit number of programs/processes running

Some anti-virus software hog more resources than others

Check for viruses/Malware

All of these are pretty reasonable. I would get an SSD long before considering a RAM upgrade unless you know you need more RAM. If the OP had told us what he uses his laptop for we'd know whether or not buying more RAM was a relevant solution.

Download Malwarebytes (the free option is all you need) update it, and run a scan.

-Get rid of all the Asus pre-installed software

-Run disk cleanup after all windows updates are completed

-Stay away from registry cleaners 

-Uninstall all store apps you don't need/use

-Disable / reduce system restore

-Use windows defender for anti-virus, malwarebytes, and something like superantispyware only

What exactly do you perceive as slow? Boot-up times, application launch times, switching between applications?

What are the details of your software setup - i.e. which apps are loaded at boot, what is running in the background?

You need to give us more data to work with to effectively help you.

Oh and Hum: Good grief man, your screenshot is eye-cancer inducing.

Couple of things that come to mind.

First I would check a few thing. First when you aren't using your computer check the task manager and what % of CPU usage is currently being used. Sometimes you have an app that for what ever reason is using 60% all day everyday. So check that. Same goes for RAM hogging memory leakes. Check your over all ram usage.

As others have suggested check your event log for for errors. If you have a lot of HDD NTFS errors. Then ya you probably got a bad sector.

Its also worth asking does your i3 have an SSD? Because an i3 with an SSD will make an i7 with an HDD feel slow. As an HDD is a bottle neck.

One more thing you can try if all of the above checks out, is to use a program from Microsoft called process monitor. Then hide everything except Processes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

You can sometimes see very quickly an application which is doing a lot more in the background than you realize.

As others have said, it depends how it's slow.

1) Are we talking boot times, launching apps, long running operations, or gaming?

2) Has the performance always been like this, or is it something recent?

3) Load up a GNU/Linux distro from a usb pen drive and test the performance without the burden of Windows. This will tell you whether it's a machine or software problem.