Can not access file

Trying to open a txt file and this is what I get:

post-243659-0-43386500-1416146247.png

Steps I have taken:

1. Paused the Antivirus software, just in case

2. Checked and taken ownership of said file

3. Attempted to move and/or copy it, can't be moved.

4. Used unlocker to check, it says no locking handles found

5. Tried using unlocker to move the file to the desktop, but it was not able to do so

6. Tried opening the fie use n++,notepad, Word and wordpad. Each time it tells me that the file is not accessible

It is just this file, I have other txt files in the same directory and they open just fine, any idea what can be preventing this from opening?

It could be a corrupt entry in your drive's MFT, Windows thinks it's there when it isn't. Try running a CHKDSK on it. Go to My Computer, right click your HDD, go to Tools, and under Error Checking, click Check Now. Make sure "Fix file system errors" is checked and click the Start button.

is this a file that has been there a while, something you just unzipped? Did you try just rebooting... You say you took ownership - what what are the actual effective permissions - post them..

example

post-14624-0-96966900-1416150122.png

As mentioned could be issue with disk, but simple reboot would be first thing I would do, etc.

It should be working if:

- The file system entries are not corrupted

- The process trying to open the file has the correct read permissions

- There isn't anything strange about the file name or path that is making programs chole on it (e.g. weird non-printable characters)

After following the other suggestions, there are a couple other tricks to try...

1. Try opening the text editor as administrator, and then see if you can open the file.

2. Try moving/renaming the file using a command prompt and then moving/renaming it back. It may magically work better if you use wilcards.

Example:

ren G:\Install\Process*.txt G:\Install\*.bak
ren G:\Install\Process*.bak G:\Install\*.txt

3. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with the containing folder (in this case, "G:\Install").

4. If none of that worked for me, I would probably end up booting to a Linux CD (e.g. Linux Mint or Ubuntu), copying the folder/file, then replacing the original with the copy.

is this a file that has been there a while, something you just unzipped? Did you try just rebooting... You say you took ownership - what what are the actual effective permissions - post them..

example

attachicon.gifeffectivepermissions.png

As mentioned could be issue with disk, but simple reboot would be first thing I would do, etc.

Ran chkdsk, it found and corrected some issues, however still can not open the file.

post-243659-0-97504900-1416231869.png

It should be working if:

- The file system entries are not corrupted

- The process trying to open the file has the correct read permissions

- There isn't anything strange about the file name or path that is making programs chole on it (e.g. weird non-printable characters)

After following the other suggestions, there are a couple other tricks to try...

1. Try opening the text editor as administrator, and then see if you can open the file.

2. Try moving/renaming the file using a command prompt and then moving/renaming it back. It may magically work better if you use wilcards.

Example:

ren G:\Install\Process*.txt G:\Install\*.bak
ren G:\Install\Process*.bak G:\Install\*.txt

3. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with the containing folder (in this case, "G:\Install").

4. If none of that worked for me, I would probably end up booting to a Linux CD (e.g. Linux Mint or Ubuntu), copying the folder/file, then replacing the original with the copy.

Tried to rename via command line, access is denied.

OK, I manged to get it open. I used the takeown command, and then went into the security settings and manually added my user name to the list, and suddenly it opened.