Girl Sues Parents For College Tuition . . . and Wins!

You might want to look at the programs offered and job placement in trained for field 1 year after graduation for those associate degrees.

>

Have you seen what an HVAC guy makes in the Midwest? $30-55K. Other jobs are higher. The national average for an auto mechanic is $46K, but with experience one repairing certain systems can double that.

Certificate and AD jobs up here beat the crap out of having a BS or Masters and making $10/hr as so many are.

The point is, college isn't the only option and most really aren't college material as shown by the dropout rates (35-45%).

Someone has to keep the gears turning.

Hey if we are going to use the excuse education is vital past high school and shouldn't be for profit, maybe we should also start saying that all universities are considered equal and anyone can get in too because you can't give someone a better education then another right that would be unfair? Oh heck I'd go to Harvard!

Quite honestly, everyone should have some form of post high school education. High school is woefully inadequate to prepare anyone for the workforce. It doesn't even have to be free, just much more affordable. When looking at the current tuition rates from where I've graduated, its doubled since I was a freshman.

Also, do keep in mind that there is a difference between a public and private university.

Have you seen what an HVAC guy makes in the Midwest? $30-55K. Other jobs are higher. The national average for an auto mechanic is $46K, but with experience one repairing certain systems can double that.

Certificate and AD jobs up here beat the crap out of having a BS or Masters and making $10/hr as so many are.

The point is, college isn't the only option and most really aren't college material as shown by the dropout rates (35-45%).

Again, the number of jobs and opportunities are limited, your also forgetting that not everyone wants to be an "auto mechanic", cost should never be the reason that someone should not be able to peruse a career of there choice. Your basically arguing that you should just take what you can find because hey, its the only thing you can afford instead of pursuing a career you want and think you can be good at. 

No.

I'm saying that human potential follows a bell curve and much of the left portion is better served by vocational schools and certificate programs, not universities. Shoehorning that part of the curve into university programs where 40%+ fail is a misuse of both school resources and the students time/money.

Reality vs Pollyanna.

Daily Princetonian article,

http://dailyprincetonian.com/opinion/2014/02/many-people-shouldnt-go-to-college/

Many people shouldn't go to college

>

America?s graduation rate sits at an abysmal 53 percent, including community colleges. This disparity betrays a critical disconnect, one not discussed often enough ? that a large swath of those lured to college should never have attended.

>

No.

I'm saying that human potential follows a bell curve and much of the left portion is better served by vocational schools and certificate programs, not universities. Shoehorning that part of the curve into university programs where 40%+ fail is a misuse of both school resources and the students time/money.

Reality vs Pollyanna.

Daily Princetonian article,

http://dailyprincetonian.com/opinion/2014/02/many-people-shouldnt-go-to-college/

You forger tha t graduation rates are higher at university than college. I keep hearing these exact statements from some about how most people don't need college. The only characteristic all these people shared is a lack of a 4 year degree and a smaller salary. Begs the question of why they think that way.

Your uni at all costs attitude is part of the problem. One major problem is all too often the ROI isn't as advertised and grads end up with crushing debts.

Also from the link,

Other countries have already figured out that pushing every citizen into a four-year university is unproductive. Germany?s youth unemployment rate is 7.8 percent, while 5.1 percent of Germans overall are out of work. A huge secret to Germany?s success lies in its emphasis on apprenticeships. Students there have the option to apply directly to employers for training contracts starting at 16 years old. The program harnesses free market demand to meet employers? needs. There?s no ludicrous stigma surrounding the process because people have seen that it works. The country is Europe?s economic engine partially because of the program?s success.

• Like 2

This is just plain ludicrous!!

Somebody slap the snot of that snobby b**ch!!

The U.S. has gone so far downhill, if this is actually allowed, I now have NO confidence in any part of the juducial system!!

I agree.  For example, some bulldozer drivers earns a lot more than many with university degree.

Also, some certifications earns a lot of money, for example a CISCO certified could earns over $80k per year

http://articles.philly.com/1992-11-18/news/26006828_1_frances-sonne-parental-duty-matrimonial-lawyers it's an old article, but fits the topic

I've never met a child of divorce that had their college paid for due to the divorce... heck I've met a lot that were paying on their own... it all comes down to what the parents agreed on during the divorce

It is actually law, it is part of all divorce settlements in PA and NJ.  Most people don't know about it or pay attention to it.  Several experts pointed out it is thought of in the same respect of the disclaimer on back of tickets, just useless legal comments that are not important.