Just switched to Fios

As the title suggests, I moved last week and was finally able to tell AT&T what to do with their pseudo-fiber optic network that still uses 1980's tech U-verse.  (had to explain to the AT&T rep why they cant claim its fiber)

My house is now fios.  The fastest I can get is 75/75 - and Im cool with that.  My question is about hardware.

The default "quantum router" I have gets massive drops in bandwidth when moving 20 feet away, with line of sight.
The router is in my office, and when I have the laptop in the theater room, it drops to 35/35 approx.  The rooms are next to one another, and I can actually see the router in my office.

Would using the verizon router as just a modem and buying a non-AC router or AP make a difference?

I know it will, but my real question is, anyone else with the 2 antennae Fios router get the speed drops like this ?

...or are there some FW mods or hacks for this thing ?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, what is the best non-AC router ?  (I have read the AC stuff has issues with 802-11n & dropped signals, etc)

Its the one on the left: ACGT784WN

post-508501-0-26127900-1416202799.png

Don't know a non-AC router that is top of the line (fastest) but here is an AC one that is great:

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-App-Enabled-AC1900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router_stcVVproductId158014980VVcatId553965VVviewprod.htm

The Verizon device is not a modem but a router just the same with special features for the STBs (TV boxes). You can totally remove it and get your box provisioned for Ethernet and use your own router then add your Verizon router behind your Asus or Linksys router for connecting your stbs.

See DSLReports faq page about the pros and cons. I'd link it but I'm on my phone now. :)

• Like 2

Don't know a non-AC router that is top of the line (fastest) but here is an AC one that is great:

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-App-Enabled-AC1900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router_stcVVproductId158014980VVcatId553965VVviewprod.htm

I have read a few times how that router, and others like it have a real problem with non-AC connections.  Besides, I dont like Belkin products (bought Linksys) however, I wish that thing was a classic workhorse like the WRT54G routers of old.  Have you heard this as well ?  Do you have this thing, or just recommending it because you heard it was good ?

The Verizon device is not a modem but a router just the same with special features for the STBs (TV boxes). You can totally remove it and get your box provisioned for Ethernet and use your own router then add your Verizon router behind your Asus or Linksys router for connecting your stbs.

See DSLReports faq page about the pros and cons. I'd link it but I'm on my phone now. :)

Very interesting, thank you.  I will check out the DSL site for info.  What do you mean by "..get your box provisioned for Ethernet.." ?

As for getting a router, or access point - I used to swear by Linksys stuff, then Cisco dropped the ball time and time again, and eventually sold them off to the wal-mart of manufacturers, Belkin.  The last couple of routers I bought to mess around with were ASUS, they were nice.  I am also considering Ubiquity, that Nighthawk x6 is just tacky.

Dang it... 75/75 is fricken FAST!  How much per month?  I had been thinking of going with FiOS too, for a very long time already.  Do they block port 80?  Do FiOS put consumer behind VPN?

I think I pay $140/mo.  but that includes TV as well.  I think the internet part is about $75/mo.  I am surprised it was capped @ 75/75, in some areas, Fios can go to 500/500.

Yes, I believe port 80 is blocked, and I dont think behind a VPN.

I have read a few times how that router, and others like it have a real problem with non-AC connections. Besides, I dont like Belkin products (bought Linksys) however, I wish that thing was a classic workhorse like the WRT54G routers of old. Have you heard this as well ? Do you have this thing, or just recommending it because you heard it was good ?

Very interesting, thank you. I will check out the DSL site for info. What do you mean by "..get your box provisioned for Ethernet.." ?

As for getting a router, or access point - I used to swear by Linksys stuff, then Cisco dropped the ball time and time again, and eventually sold them off to the wal-mart of manufacturers, Belkin. The last couple of routers I bought to mess around with were ASUS, they were nice. I am also considering Ubiquity, that Nighthawk x6 is just tacky.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506 Check that page

How are you measuring the bandwidth?

What I did was I took 3 speedtests via Verizon's speedtest website in the TV room, then 3 next to the router, then a couple plugged in via Ethernet.

I somewhat averaged them, but it was pretty obvious.  I realize this maybe isnt the best way, but as long as it is done the same throughout the testing -- it will show what Im experiencing.

I just found some thing that you may want to test out.  Verizon put a speed cap on your NetFlix?

I had heard something about that - but so far I havent seen any issues streaming 4K

Fixed it, there was a dot at the end. Or just read the below link as well.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

That site is exactly what I was looking for - thanks buddy.

hate you err I mean I'm jealous! I'm stuck with one viable option - TimeWarner $50 for crap 30/5 service. Luckily it is free thanks to work. 

Here is what Im getting.  Whats weird is my upload is always higher than my download - why is that ?

hardwired:

post-508501-0-66621600-1416278817.png

next to router:

post-508501-0-01775200-1416278842.png

20' away w/ LOS:

post-508501-0-59346700-1416278866.png

Pretty much tells me I need some better hardware.

Thanks everyone for your input.

supersonic -  Tell ya what, I'll let you borrow some bandwidth, if you let me drive your new car when you get it.. deal ? :D

hate you err I mean I'm jealous! I'm stuck with one viable option - TimeWarner $50 for crap 30/5 service. Luckily it is free thanks to work. 

aaron -

Seriously man, thanks.  I had not heard about this new line from Cisco, but just watched a couple vids, and I think you might have solved a couple of problems for me.

Im sure it seems like a small gesture to you, but it is truly appreciated.  ;)

FYI I have and use the Unifi AC - Budman does as well and we like it so far. Not saying its better then other options out there but its good enough for me. Meraki and Ruckus stuff is great if you can afford them. The UniFi UAP Pro is hot stuff for sure. Everyone I know that has one loves it.

Thanks for that link also. Gonna register with my Think Networks stuff :)

FYI I have and use the Unifi AC - Budman does as well and we like it so far. Not saying its better then other options out there but its good enough for me. Meraki and Ruckus stuff is great if you can afford them. The UniFi UAP Pro is hot stuff for sure. Everyone I know that has one loves it.

Thanks for that link also. Gonna register with my Think Networks stuff :)

Actually it was you & Budman owning Ubiquity HW that made me look into them a while back. ;)

My thinking was "they know more than me, they like it, therefore I should like it" 

Simple, right ? :D

Here is what Im getting.  Whats weird is my upload is always higher than my download - why is that ?

hardwired:

supersonic -  Tell ya what, I'll let you borrow some bandwidth, if you let me drive your new car when you get it.. deal ? :D

Hot damn - those are great speeds :woot:  There is a startup company in our area that is rolling out fiber, but their signup is limited to customer demand in a particular area (like apartment complexes). Our complex has had no luck! :(

Oh, I've owned that "new" car for a year & a half haha. It drives great, and has almost 11k miles. Just put on winter tires recently, and is handling the lake effect snow like a beast! But, yeah, I'd love some extra bandwidth :)