This is my official foray into next-gen.  Yes, I've had a PS4 for a while, had Watch_Dogs and Shadow of Mordor and inFamous:Second Son and The Last of Us Remastered.

But this to me feels like my first "next-gen" game.

The in-engine cut-scenes look better than the CGI trailers for the first two DA games.  I've played about 15 hours or so, and have barely left the first major "open" area of the game.

For those that played Origins, the game first opens up to you when you come upon the Hinterlands, the area around the village and castle of Redcliffe (where Arl Eamon stayed).  Except, instead of just being able to access the village and the castle, you have the entire countryside, that just keeps going and going and going.  And when you think you've come upon the edge, you find a little underpass or side path and discover more!  It may not be larger than Skyrim, but it feels that way.  And it's gorgeous.  All of the following pics are screenshots from my PS4.  I can't imagine what a souped-up PC rig would do with this game.

post-182209-0-63881800-1416368838.jpg

post-182209-0-20222600-1416368856.jpg

post-182209-0-68166300-1416368887.jpg

post-182209-0-65197000-1416368904.jpg

post-182209-0-34776200-1416368953.jpg

post-182209-0-15923700-1416368978.jpg

post-182209-0-45955800-1416369016.jpg

And this isn't even a true next gen game. It's still designed to run on the Xbox360 and PS3 the next-gen versions just have better graphics.

I think I would enjoy this game more on a console, because it is a big disappointment control-wise on the PC. I watched some videos prior to buying it, where the devs detailed how much they've made it like DA:O. Unfortunately that seems to be a big over statement now that I'm playing it. To me it seems it's controls are even worse than DA2.

You can no longer click to move and you have to hold a mouse button to attack, there's no auto attack like in the previous two games. WSAD seems to emulates a joystick for moving around in the tactical view, and you can't even zoom out very far.

Also I'm getting tons of texture flickering and the cut scenes seem to render at way less than 30 frames. This is with the latest Nvidia drivers. I know the drivers will get updated and iron out those issues, but I don't know if I can put up with the control issues. I got this in the hopes for a DA:O type of experience and I'm sadly disappointed.

On the positive side, so far the story, dialogs, and game mechanics seem OK, although they're bit more simplified than the previous two titles.

I just ran into (well, watched from afar) a random world battle between a giant smashing boulders into a high dragon.

Iron Bull says: "Now that's bad ass!"

Doesn't look very impressive from the screenshots. It looks terrible in fact. Those armour textures are flat as pancakes.

The boats look like they were photoshopped on top of the water.

And the close up of the female looks like she's covered in plastic.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty typical for a cross generation game.  It looks good, but not spectacular.  I do like everything though.  It ran smoother on my X1 but that's nothing new, until I get a new vidcard that's just how it is.

I think I would enjoy this game more on a console, because it is a big disappointment control-wise on the PC. I watched some videos prior to buying it, where the devs detailed how much they've made it like DA:O. Unfortunately that seems to be a big over statement now that I'm playing it. To me it seems it's controls are even worse than DA2.

You can no longer click to move and you have to hold a mouse button to attack, there's no auto attack like in the previous two games. WSAD seems to emulates a joystick for moving around in the tactical view, and you can't even zoom out very far.

Also I'm getting tons of texture flickering and the cut scenes seem to render at way less than 30 frames. This is with the latest Nvidia drivers. I know the drivers will get updated and iron out those issues, but I don't know if I can put up with the control issues. I got this in the hopes for a DA:O type of experience and I'm sadly disappointed.

On the positive side, so far the story, dialogs, and game mechanics seem OK, although they're bit more simplified than the previous two titles.

Why not just use a controller then? Seems like the obvious thing to do.

I loved DA:O but am really not impressed with the direction taken with DA2 and now DA:I. This game looks like a MMO, rather than a compelling singleplayer experience. I'm much more looking forward to The Witcher 3.

I loved DA:O but am really not impressed with the direction taken with DA2 and now DA:I. This game looks like a MMO, rather than a compelling singleplayer experience. I'm much more looking forward to The Witcher 3.

I have yet to consider Witcher 2 a compelling single player experience, heh.

Got to pickup my copy.  i had it preordered..but been busy and have not been able to pick it up yet. That, and Far Cry 3. Sucks since I am still playing assissins creed unity to.  So I will have a while before those games are completed.

Destiny...I am done with that game.

Got to pickup my copy.  i had it preordered..but been busy and have not been able to pick it up yet. That, and Far Cry 3. Sucks since I am still playing assissins creed unity to.  So I will have a while before those games are completed.

Destiny...I am done with that game.

Target had a B2G1 free deal last week, I got Lords of the Fallen, AC:Rogue, and Alien Isolation -- of those, I've only even opened Rogue.

this game is incredible to play with Kinect. there are hundreds of voice commands. i can just give tactical orders, or heal or whatever.

are the voice commands pretty accurate..???

• Like 1

lol man this forum is tough.  I bought the xo and the ps4 version so me and my wife can play at the same time and they both look fantastic to me.  Maybe im just a fan of the style but its one of the best looking games i have ever played.  Sure there's a couple hicups here and there graphic wise but never have I felt so impressed by what i was seeing so many times so far in a game.   I usually don't even think about it but several times i have just stopped and looked around cause of how beautiful the location looked.  Some of the monsters are amazing looking. 

edit:

Just wanted to add the voice commands to me work perfect and really add to the game for me.  Healing notably is far better when you can just yell "Cassandra HEAL!" and bam instead of having to go through that rotary menu.  Or "Summon mount!" or one that i figured out recentlly that came in handy was "everyone dissengage!" to make everyone stop attacking and follow.  "everyone attack my targer" or specific like "cassandra attack my target!" work pretty well too or just "inventory!"

p.s. i think you have to goto the kinect menu in option and actually turn it on first because i had to.

Do you have to do co-op in order to progress and complete the whole story?  Have not picked up my copy yet, but if it is like how Destiny is, I wont.  Most people I know have a PS4...so yea, I need to be able to complete everything as a single player.  Why I hate games these days...lots of them either have a crappy SP and focused more on MP

Do you have to do co-op in order to progress and complete the whole story?  Have not picked up my copy yet, but if it is like how Destiny is, I wont.  Most people I know have a PS4...so yea, I need to be able to complete everything as a single player.  Why I hate games these days...lots of them either have a crappy SP and focused more on MP

no coop is nothing to do with SP at all really though i think you can earn some stuff for your SP but you dont even use your SP character