Microsoft to block Classic Shell in Windows 10: here is why

Microsoft needs the information coming from the Technical Preview to be pure so I can see why they break Classic Shell. Honestly its not Microsoft job to ensure CS is compatible with Windows 10. I get the usefulness of CS especially for those who like or feel most productive with things not seen since the late 20th/early 21st century. But the type of user wanting Classic Shell is not is not what makes up a big part of the computing buying market; it's a niche. While many may want a Start menu, its 2014 going on 2015 and Microsoft needs something that appeals to where people are now.

and microsoft making windows look like AOL is better?

AOL-1996-vs.-Microsoft-Windows-8.jpg

Maybe it wasn't such a smart idea to put all the ex-AOL-employees in the Metro design team :rofl:

have you used windows 10? the new menu is like a bastard child between start menu everyone wants and the new metro crap.

Thankfully though, you can turn off all that tiles crap in the start menu, making it usable (even if right now, you still have to remove the tiles one by one... hope they'll add a simpler way to remove them all at once later on).

You guys really need to get over your irrational hatred of live tiles. They're very beneficial on all types of devices, and provide more of a productive service than static icons do. Hopefully, Microsoft can expand on the concept and provide interactive tiles, or the 'exploding' tiles that have been hinted at.

• Like 3

You guys really need to get over your irrational hatred of live tiles. They're very beneficial on all types of devices, and provide more of a productive service than static icons do. Hopefully, Microsoft can expand on the concept and prove interactive tiles, or the 'exploding' tiles that have been hinted at.

Dot think about this rationally here for a second. You install something like Adobe creative suite. It puts in like 7 pages of stuff. Visual Studio does as well if you do a full install. How long does it take to find each thing?

I was looking at a youtube video of someone cussing out as he had to use the charms to put office 2013 tiles on the first screen etc.

That DOT is where the hate comes in. Not fear of change but under XP/7 you click the start button and you see your apps. DONE. Now you need to use the mouse over the whole stupid screen page after page to find the tile you want. Also we are smart and know about Instant Search. Judging by the screenshots of Windows 10 MS has telemetry that the vast majority do not know about it and use it like XP and get angry at the extra steps. Even typing is annoying when you can just click instead etc.

I can live with tiles in a start button or screen on a touch device.

Dot think about this rationally here for a second. You install something like Adobe creative suite. It puts in like 7 pages of stuff. Visual Studio does as well if you do a full install. How long does it take to find each thing?

I was looking at a youtube video of someone cussing out as he had to use the charms to put office 2013 tiles on the first screen etc.

That DOT is where the hate comes in. Not fear of change but under XP/7 you click the start button and you see your apps. DONE. Now you need to use the mouse over the whole stupid screen page after page to find the tile you want. Also we are smart and know about Instant Search. Judging by the screenshots of Windows 10 MS has telemetry that the vast majority do not know about it and use it like XP and get angry at the extra steps. Even typing is annoying when you can just click instead etc.

I can live with tiles in a start button or screen on a touch device.

Windows 8.1 does not pin tiles on Start by default. You'll need to search for them in All Apps, and pin them if you wish.

You guys really need to get over your irrational hatred of live tiles. 

We are cash paying consumers, we have freedom of choice and the right to point out what we like and don't like to microsoft.

Live tiles, along with everything else metro, is total garbage for the desktop user, regressive, horribly lacking in features and functionality, 1980's style junk that fails on its face when to compared to modern win32 counterparts.

• Like 1

You guys really need to get over your irrational hatred of live tiles. They're very beneficial on all types of devices, and provide more of a productive service than static icons do. Hopefully, Microsoft can expand on the concept and provide interactive tiles, or the 'exploding' tiles that have been hinted at.

No.  They are distracting and I do not need them.  Would you like to tell me other ways to use my system.

I'd rather Microsoft focus on stability, core features, speed, etc. ... tiles are vile.

• Like 2

You guys really need to get over your irrational hatred of live tiles.

Personally I love 'em. Stupidly handy being able to get live info without having to do anything, it's right there, zero effort required... that's a big timesaver versus going thru the motions by hand and doing it manually, a no brainer. What irritates me is using the start screen itself.. lost a lot of functionality. Can't reorganize anything, can't edit anything, no submenus, doesn't use the standard shell extensions to boost functionality, etc etc. Great concept, badly executed.

10's start menu on the other hand, think I'm going to really dig using that one, great mix of both and the live stuff is basically "use it or don't" so it's on the user, plus still can use the full screen version for mobile devices. It's a win across the board, very likely be the first time I use the built in start menu since Win2K Pro. They should have done something like this from the get-go, set a default for mobile vs desktops and ease people into it, not just *bam* in your face and deal with it, never mind getting the kinks worked out and streamlining it. But hey, at least they recognized the issue and aren't marching ahead blindly, users be damned. (Looking at you Gnome and Unity.)

Personally I love 'em. Stupidly handy being able to get live info without having to do anything, it's right there, zero effort required... that's a big timesaver versus going thru the motions by hand and doing it manually, a no brainer. What irritates me is using the start screen itself.. lost a lot of functionality. Can't reorganize anything, can't edit anything, no submenus, doesn't use the standard shell extensions to boost functionality, etc etc. Great concept, badly executed.

10's start menu on the other hand, think I'm going to really dig using that one, great mix of both and the live stuff is basically "use it or don't" so it's on the user, plus still can use the full screen version for mobile devices. It's a win across the board, very likely be the first time I use the built in start menu since Win2K Pro. They should have done something like this from the get-go, set a default for mobile vs desktops and ease people into it, not just *bam* in your face and deal with it, never mind getting the kinks worked out and streamlining it. But hey, at least they recognized the issue and aren't marching ahead blindly, users be damned. (Looking at you Gnome and Unity.)

I hope that they can increase the utility and amount of information presented when running a search through the Start screen.

I hope that they can increase the utility and amount of information presented when running a search through the Start screen.

That too -- Mentioned elsewhere about hoping they move federated searches from Explorer to the start menu/screen where it belongs too, along with the other fixes/adjustments would put it over the top by a mile. I'm hopeful, but we'll see.

I think everyone understands MS point of view on this I just think its a shift in what people are use to, I've used their alphas, betas, technical previews since Windows Whistler days, sometimes officially as a tester other times just through downloading but its always been my choice what to install and to give feedback on etc.  So this is just a change for users as MS is trying to procure more user data and feedback than at any time before.

I do however think that if MS just made a blog post outlining why users shouldn't use it and should give feedback...maybe even put an alert in the system if they install 3rd party UI apps during the TP, they would get further than trying to block it from installing.

I was blocked with the last official version of Windows 10 from installing Classic Shell Menu. I renamed the install file 'something.exe' and it installed and worked fine.

We are cash paying consumers, we have freedom of choice and the right to point out what we like and don't like to microsoft.

Yes, and besides that, that's the whole point of these previews. It's to point out what's not so good yet and what still needs to be improved.

Live tiles, along with everything else metro, is total garbage for the desktop user, regressive, horribly lacking in features and functionality, 1980's style junk that fails on its face when to compared to modern win32 counterparts.

Exactly, and that's what MS is finally beginning to realize as well, which is why they restored the original desktop and removed this tile garbage again - except for the start menu, but if they're any smart, they'll provide a way to easily and quickly remove them there as well.

Neowin has Classic Shell beta 4.2 for Windows 10 available for download.

https://www.neowin.net/news/classic-shell-420-beta-released-with-support-for-windows-10

Good news. If they should insist on keeping their tiles garbage, without a simple way to turn them off, we still have a good alternative :woot:

The "tile garbage" hasn't been removed. The TP simply doesn't include the new start screen yet. It's one of the main reasons I switched back to 8.1 again. I want my "tile garbage" back.

If they don't want to shoot themselves a huge hole in the foot, they won't include a Windows 8-like start screen anymore. Otherwise, that would just create a huge backlash from people who (understandably) hate the tiles garbage.

It would also totally nullify their efforts in massively distancing themselves from Windows 8 and Metro by increasing the version by two full digits for Windows 10. "Look, this new Windows is so totally different from Windows 8 and Metro that we need to increase the version by two digits!"

If they don't want to shoot themselves a huge hole in the foot, they won't include a Windows 8-like start screen anymore. Otherwise, that would just create a huge backlash from people who (understandably) hate the tiles garbage.

It would also totally nullify their efforts in massively distancing themselves from Windows 8 and Metro by increasing the version by two full digits for Windows 10. "Look, this new Windows is so totally different from Windows 8 and Metro that we need to increase the version by two digits!"

They're not going to do that. The TP is a preview of what they're adding to the desktop. Nobody knows what they're doing with the modern portion of the UI yet, but it is not going away.

The version number change is because of bad coding matching "Windows 9" with "Windows 95" and "Windows 98" instead of using the version numbers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the UI.

• Like 3

They're not distancing themselves from Windows 8 or Metro at all. In fact, it's still very much a part of Windows 10, which you see now, and will get a better look at on Jan. 21st, when they demonstrate the Continuum feature, and Windows 10 running on tablets and phones.

Metro is still very much alive, and helping to bridge the gap between devices.

Microsoft is taking its highly successful (up until windows 7) desktop operating system and destroying it just so that it will play nice with its failed mobile platform.

This is a very arrogant, condescending, anti-consumer move by microsoft.

It says a lot about windows 10 and microsoft's anti-consumer decisions when you see people trying to install classic shell on windows 10, it says even more about microsoft when you see them trying to block classic shell.

A company that actually listens to its customers would not be faced with issues like this, as it was with windows 8, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Like 2

It says a lot about windows 10 and microsoft's anti-consumer decisions when you see people trying to install classic shell on windows 10, it says even more about microsoft when you see them trying to block classic shell.

Anti-consumer -- you mean the part where they're listening to those consumers and giving them what they want? You know, return of the start menu, making modern apps act like Win32 apps, all that stuff? Yes, how arrogant and condescending of them. Also, congrats on completely missing the point of the test build and totally disregarding the reason why it was "blocked" that time, and working under the delusion it's a permanent thing. Hint, actually read thru the thread a bit and you'll find out the reason why. But hey, repeat it enough times, throw in some more adjectives, maybe it'll actually become true.
  • Like 2