Far Cry 4 users accidentally reveal they pirated the game

Best part is, I paid for my copy and had to wait 24 hours after it was released to get it to unlock, due to a glitch in the UPlay client not unlocking it. It was causing the same problems for countless others, while everyone who pirated it was already playing 3 days before it came out.

My experience was the opposite. I was expecting the game to launch several days later than it did, having checked Wikipedia for the launch date, and it unlocked before the unlock date that even Uplay listed. For me I was pleasantly surprised.

It was pretty funny when I first read it, but it was pretty short-lived; the day one patch got cracked rather quickly. Meanwhile, the game's director isn't doing himself any favours by branding people complaining about the bugs, missing features and DRM as "poisonous and entitled"...

EDIT: Big mistake made there; did a little more digging and found he was referring to death threats he's receiving. :pinch: https://archive.today/QBOzf

if games these days weren't rushed out we wouldn't need a "day one patch".

sounds silly anyway, a patch on release screams either rushed game or buggy game or both.

Some of you seem to think the FOV option was left out of the game specifically to root out pirate copys, it wasn't.. It was in the first patch for PC and it was coming based on tester/user feedback no matter what. Ubi or the developer seems to think that pirates couldn't patch the game, well the patches are always released via pirate methods also..

• Like 2

Developers need to grow up and spend cycles improving the game instead of having these petty things. Chances are that people who were able to pirate the game can also obtain a cracked version of Day One patch where this feature is unlocked. It's a temporary charade to make people at Ubisoft feel good about themselves while they bask in the glory of public self-shaming. Is it a valuable enough feature to convert pirates into legit customers? No, so there is no point doing it.

You recommend they do nothing whatsoever?

sounds silly anyway, a patch on release screams either rushed game or buggy game or both.

Exactly, developers have gotten very complacent with the quality of their releases given how easy it is to push out a patch. In the old days (when Dial-up was the quickest internet around), there were no such thing as day one patches because developers couldn't afford to release their games with bugs to be fixed as soon as it was released (due to having no easy way to distribute the patch).

No, not necessarily.

Do game publishers take liberties with quality and plan release dates that have no basis on the readiness of the game? Sure.  But don't forget that for worldwide distribution, games go "gold" weeks, sometimes months before their planned release date. Do you expect them to just sit on their hands for those weeks and months, or would you prefer they carried on refining the game and fixing bugs found since it went gold? Then, how else would you get those changes from the "gold" version without a day one patch?

No, not necessarily.

Do game publishers take liberties with quality and plan release dates that have no basis on the readiness of the game? Sure.  But don't forget that for worldwide distribution, games go "gold" weeks, sometimes months before their planned release date. Do you expect them to just sit on their hands for those weeks and months, or would you prefer they carried on refining the game and fixing bugs found since it went gold? Then, how else would you get those changes from the "gold" version without a day one patch?

I'd rather they wait until the game is actually finished and doesn't have major bugs, *looks at AC Unity*, before going "Gold". Oh wait, this is publishers we're talking about, my bad.

I preordered the game the first chance I could. The graphics are ammazing!

Screenshot:

attachicon.gifFar Cry? 42014-11-20-16-30-11.jpg

Face is decent, Jacket is horrible, Hair is pretty bad by any standard, background has stupidly exaggerated DoF as is the norm....

girl has some issues with her skin pores though , overly exaggerated bump maps to show that "we do good skin" meh. 

• Like 1

Face is decent, Jacket is horrible, Hair is pretty bad by any standard, background has stupidly exaggerated DoF as is the norm....

girl has some issues with her skin pores though , overly exaggerated bump maps to show that "we do good skin" meh. 

it looks better in motion.       because of the hymalayan settings, i find it one of the better looking games out there on pc.    but i am partial to topical and mountains....     LOVED IT when first far cry came out.

She looks like she has wet hair, lupus, oily face and dirty clothes. It was supposed to be this?

:rofl:

she is a dirty tribal mountain girl with attitude.   sounds about right!   though you might be exadurating with lupus.   she has a simple rosacea... not a biggie :shifty:

The Game Dev Tycoon approach was one the best i saw. And the response and stupidity of people even better.

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

That. Is. Brilliant.

Release an unfinished game that requires a day one patch to play properly ?

That's pretty much par for the course. Watching pirates whine about the thing they didn't pay for not having a feature they don't deserve is is worth any patch.

Was the FOV set to something ridiculous to spur on the complaints, or just the omission of the feature?

Far.Cry.4-******* contains the preloaded data (v1.2) from Uplay packed
  together with bug filled binaries (v1.0) from an unknown source. This means
  that the known bugs, listed in the game Support\Readme files as fixed, are
  still present. Also when using the CrackFix.

On top of that, using Far.Cry.4.v1.03.Update-******* doesn't fix the release
  either. Despite what the nfo claims, the crack is still bad and is causing
  problems, e.g. game crashes and missing saves, especially in Windows 8.x.

Notable example: the first door you open down the stairs at the beginning.

We bring you the version released to retail on Steam today, fully updated
  with the v1.3 release day patch (lol) and a working crack.

Enjoy!

Seems it was just a early scene release, that was "propered" shortly (3 days) afterwards.

Why on earth anybody would go crying to the devs, regarding their pirated, pre-release copy is beyond me.

Is there really not an OT for this game?

No ###### whatsoever, this is easily one of my GOTY contenders, and it may very well be a runaway with no competition. It is easily the most fun I have had just ######ing around in a game in a very long time.

It is very important to point out I no longer really have the luxury of ######ing around in games. I just have extremely limited time to play video games so when I do play them, 95% of the time I just go full steam ahead and play the SP campaign without much deviation at all. The last game I really played in a lackadaisical manner was GTA V last year.

8 hours in and according to the game I am only at 10% completion. And I'll be damned this is the most fun I have had not doing anything at all. 

My only "gripes" are:
  • Eagles. They are ######ing cheap.
  • Armor is pretty much useless, as it is so easy to lose it quickly.
That's pretty much it.

What I really think the game does brilliantly and much, much better than most games is allows the player to figure things out on their own without being too obtuse or cheap about it. Exploration and experimentation is encouraged in a natural way. There is so much to figure out yet it does not take a PHD to do so. That is not easy at all, and minus a few small things here and there, they really have done a great job of keeping it complex yet approachable.

Easily in my Top 3 GOTY contenders, and very well may be a very strong #1.
The best part about it all is I was second guessing my preorder all the way up to release day. I really thought I had screwed up and was deciding to support a potential dud. I was dead wrong, and that makes it that much better.
  • Like 1

The Game Dev Tycoon approach was one the best i saw. And the response and stupidity of people even better.

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

I never knew they done that, that's pretty funny.

great wee game for killing an hour.

I remember the original flashpoint had something in it to make the graphics glitch more and more the futher you progressed into it with a pirated copy. things lkie that are much more effective than DRM especially alway on DRM. bought one game with alway on DRM and never bought another since. and every single game I have is 100% legal and legit I have never torrented anything hookie.

i LOVE Far Cry 4 (it is basically all i enjoyed from far cry 3, with many things done even better) 

it is a definite GOTY top 5 for me.  i also really enjoyed Shovel Knight, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Walking Dead Season Two, Alien Isolation.

i also enjoyed Shadow of Mordor a lot,  but I got bored of it just as quickly as i got into it...  so it is not as memorable as the rest of my picks.

what are the other 2 GOTY contenders for you?

Edited by Andrew

that's not the case. the issue is, it is more of a anti-piracy feature than anything else. install your legit copy, let the patch install and then play normal. why anyone would use a crack.exe file on a legit copy is like keying their new car when they get it. be smart, just play the game as it was meant to be played.

on steam, I'm installing Sniper Elite 3 now. all good.