The E.T. Excavation Documentary Atari: Game Over Is Available For Free On Xbox

The much-anticipated documentary that found the legendary buried cache of Atari E.T. game cartridges is now available on Xbox Video for free.

The documentary, entitled Atari: Game Over, has been well documented in the last two years. The filmmakers went on the trail - and eventually found - a large cache of E.T. cartridges that had allegedly been buried in the desert outside of Alamogordo, New Mexico.

The film is getting good notice. Read GI's Kyle Hilliard's impressions of it here, and then watch the trailer. Recently, the city of Alamogordo auctioned off excavated cartridges on eBay.

Here's the film's Xbox Video page.

[source: Major Nelson]

Our Take
I've been waiting to see this film for some time. I've always found the legend (now proven true) of the buried E.T. cartridges to be a fascinating bit of game history. The movie will also stand as one of the few successes of Microsoft's now-shuttered Xbox Entertainment division.

You can watch it in your browser by going to the xbox video page linked above.. Silverlight needs to be installed, though.

Which region are you in? I'm in Aus and I am watching it right now.

Sweden or Macedonia. I don't know where my account belongs. Physically I am in Sweden right now.

That sucks. It actually a pretty decent doco. You might have better luck trying to access it through your Xbox 360/ONE.