Best way to code a theme switcher

Question

I don't know what to google so I haven't really found anything but I'm building a website that I would like to have a theme switched. Something like what neowin and other sites have been doing with the light / dark switcher.

I would think JavaScript would be the best way for it to be "on the fly" but how would I store that for the current user? Would it be a cookie? Some kind of session file so if that user comes back it's remember?

I don't know what the best practice would be. Finally getting back into coding websites / web development / app development. It's been awhile.

I hope someone out there can help!

7 answers to this question

a couple of ways.   

1) Session based if using php or asp
2) Cookies for persistance
3) Save to a user profile on a database. 

From there you can just use jquery to modify the included css file using the inner html function.

Thanks for the tips guys. Firey that's exactly what I was thinking.

I think I might do both cookies and session based so if people wanna browse the site but don't want to login they can still choose a theme

Thanks for the tips guys. Firey that's exactly what I was thinking.

I think I might do both cookies and session based so if people wanna browse the site but don't want to login they can still choose a theme

Aren't cookies required anyway? Since sessions are closed when a browser is closed(If I remember correctly).

@Seahorsepip: ncc is right. I am talking about a php session which is stored in the database.

a php session is stored on the php server, and only exists for as long as is configured on the server.