Now e-cigarettes can give you malware

E-cigarettes may be better for your health than normal ones, but spare a thought for your poor computer ? electronic cigarettes have become the latest vector for malicious software, according to online reports.

Many e-cigarettes can be charged over USB, either with a special cable, or by plugging the cigarette itself directly into a USB port. That might be a USB port plugged into a wall socket or the port on a computer ? but, if so, that means that a cheap e-cigarette from an untrustworthy supplier gains physical access to a device.

A report on social news site Reddit suggests that at least one ?vaper? has suffered the downside of trusting their cigarette manufacturer. ?One particular executive had a malware infection on his computer from which the source could not be determined,? the user writes. ?After all traditional means of infection were covered, IT started looking into other possibilities.

?The made in China e-cigarette had malware hardcoded into the charger, and when plugged into a computer?s USB port the malware phoned home and infected the system.?

Rik Ferguson, a security consultant for Trend Micro, says the story is entirely plausible. ?Production line malware has been around for a few years, infecting photo frames, MP3 players and more,? he says. In 2008, for instance, a photo frame produced by Samsung shipped with malware on the product?s install disc.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/21/e-cigarettes-malware-computers

"I got malware on my PC!"

"What have you been smoking?!"

I guess you could say...

... his data has been vaporised.

Now, smoking is bad even for your computer's health.

18up173syw60mjpg.jpgHoratioYeah.jpg

• Like 2