Photo

[Books] Any Adult Books Like Hunger Games, Battle Royale?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,901 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:27

A family member recommended The Hunger Games series and from the off I was hooked.  It was a good theme I enjoy to read and read all three books pretty quick.

Someone has suggested The Maze Runner but I don't know if it's a bit too teen-fiction for what I am looking for.  A friend of mine said they were surprised I wasn't into the Discworld series and I did try but simply couldn't get into them.

Can anyone recommend any books like The Hunger Games, Battle Royale or anything similar?

#2 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 4,032 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:31

I've not read the Hunger games so I can't do a direct comparison but I've read The Maze Runner, Scorch Trials and Death Cure and thoroughly enjoyed them all. You can sense a bit of a young adult style of writing in them but the story had me hooked that I'm now reading the prequel to it all (The Kill Order).

I'm almost done with this one and whilst I've enjoyed it and without spoiling it, it so far hasn't done what I expected it to do and its running out of time to do what I'd like any justice.

#3 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 4,032 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 16:16

I thought I would come back here, now I am half way through the Hunger games I feel I can do a slightly better comparison. IMO The Hunger Games so far actually reads a little more teen-fiction than the Maze Runner did. I'm enjoying it but I would definitely recommend the Maze Runner if you enjoyed this.

#4 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,854 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 21:01

Octavia Butler’s Parable of the Sower and Parable of Talents

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

Both dystopian with female leads, and definitely not happy-happy, joy-joy.

The Handmaid's Tale was made into a 1990 film starring Natasha Richardson, Robert Duvall, Faye Dunaway and Elizabeth McGovern.

#5 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,901 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:51

I will look into these for sure :)

Maze Runner was coincidently on my list - I should be getting [the trilogy] for Christmas.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,657 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 December 2014 - 14:51

Read the Wheel of Time series and you'll be busy a while.

also any books by Peter F. Hamilton. though be warned they're massive and usually comes in trilogies. they are all, sorta, space SciFi though (the void series is a half exception, but you can't say to much about it without spoiling).

#7 A_Fish

A_Fish

Neowinian

• 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:58

Maze Runner- good choice. Wait for The Fever Code in 2016

#8 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 4,032 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 13:03

Maze Runner- good choice. Wait for The Fever Code in 2016

YES!! Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I was slightly disappointed with the Kill Order, I would have liked to see more about Thomas and Teresa but I would "hope" that he might add something in Fever Code about their time working with WICKED etc.

I'm just about to finish the last Hunger games book and plan to move on to divergent series next so I'll let you know once I'm part way in.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,657 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 February 2015 - 13:14

Maze runner was a series I finished just to see how it ended since I started it, the first book was decent but then it was all downhill. The ending was predictable and extremely disappointing.

#10 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 4,032 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 13:28

Maze runner was a series I finished just to see how it ended since I started it, the first book was decent but then it was all downhill. The ending was predictable and extremely disappointing.

I'd probably agree with you on the last book, the ending was a little unimaginative, The Kill Order (a prequel) was pretty good, but although it was setting up for the Maze Runner, it felt very very distant.

Looking back at this, I can't believe I didn't say it first time round...

Harry Potter series < depending on how quick/often you read, it will keep you busy for a long time and if you are even the smallest fan of the Movies you'll love the books. 

#11 Dingleberry San the Super

Dingleberry San the Super

• 419 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 13:54

I've not read the Hunger games so I can't do a direct comparison but I've read The Maze Runner, Scorch Trials and Death Cure and thoroughly enjoyed them all. You can sense a bit of a young adult style of writing in them but the story had me hooked that I'm now reading the prequel to it all (The Kill Order).

I'm almost done with this one and whilst I've enjoyed it and without spoiling it, it so far hasn't done what I expected it to do and its running out of time to do what I'd like any justice.

Great lists threre.

Thanks