Amazon Prime is a Scam!

This thread is STILL going on?!!!!

There is nothing further to add. He was falsely comparing a NON-prime cheaper item to a PRIME, more expensive item and somehow decided that it's "proof" that the whole thing is a scam.

P.S. @OP; you go to university, right? I hope this isn't how you do your research there too.

Don't worry... OP has been looking for the attention these days ... he usually posts lame topics like this. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Not exactly.

You as a consumer are responsible for researching items and prices before you buy it. Amazon allows third parties to sell items on their website. These 3rd parties may choose to sell an item for cheaper than Amazon sells it for. It does not mean Amazon is marking up the price. However, even if Amazon does mark up the price for the items listed as Prime, you have to consider that those items are backed by Amazon's return policy which is very good and easy. I could see them marking up a bit to help cover their own costs. 

Lastly, Prime memberships are good for people who frequently buy items on amazon. But, on a very rough uncaclulated average, you will probably need to buy about 20 average sized items a year on amazon for you to break even on the prime membership fee, plus you get free streaming of movies.

If you have an .edu or student email, prime is offered to you at $49 a year instead of $99. I would not pay $99 for Prime, but I would pay $49. It is not exactly a scam, it is a valid business model. You as a consumer have to decide whether you will benefit from it or not. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not entirely sure its a valid business model if the Prime version costs more as well as having to pay for prime. Maybe I've missed something here...

Not entirely sure its a valid business model if the Prime version costs more as well as having to pay for prime. Maybe I've missed something here...

How is not valid, it's like membership shopping, think of costco/pricemart/Moma/SnR, with the added value of "Free" 2 day shipping, streaming and whatnot.

I have Prime and I think its worth it to me from the amount of things I buy thru the year mostly Xmas gifts. Yesterdays Prime Day was a joke in the way it was handled. Almost damn near impossible to find anything good and when you did it seemed like the item was sold out in seconds and I was quick to look too. Now I ordered something Sunday...it didnt' show up till Wed all Prime items so 3 days well I was a little ###### cause the box went from UPS on Tuesday to the local post office USPS at noon that day but I live only 2 city blocks from the post office so they could have just came on and dropped it off instead of making me wait the 3rd day which I did raise hell about on chat...to no good.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from amazon and I gotta say apart from two times my orders were mis delivered (amazon replaced them for free) the delivery date was always hit.

My orders with Amazon were all shipped on time expect from one but it was 1 week before Christmas so ...

I love Amazon prime, and I've never had any issue with it.  All mine two days or even same day shipments have arrived on time.  Also I shared the prime account with my two sisters, so we do get more out of Prime membership.

Also, not every items are like that.  Amazon does not have any control over what third parties sell.  Check all prices before you buy.

I've ordered lots of items from Amazon and there's only one time I didn't get my item on time. I didn't have prime then but since i've had prime, i've had no problems with shipping.

lol  Prime Day was a bust for me.  Garage sales are more interesting then the nonsense they were dumping selling.   :/

lol  Prime Day was a bust for me.  Garage sales are more interesting then the nonsense they were dumping selling.   :/

My mom and I were talking about that yesterday, My mom said "There was nothing on Amazon Prime day that she would want to bring into her house" .

It was just all a bunch of crap.

Garage sales?   you were looking for the drugs in the items so you could buy eh?

Bad Dino!

:p

/joking

Garage sales?   you were looking for the drugs in the items so you could buy eh?

Bad Dino!

/joking

Whut!!   Well I never....!     hrmph

I love my prime too, order lots of things which makes it worthwhile!

Prime day was a joke though. Looks like all the old crap they had sitting at the back of the warehouse for years!

Love having Prime, but man the Prime Day yesterday was bad.

I picked up 5 items that i'd been after for a while. One was a pressure washer worth

I like having Prime, use it 4 or 5 times a month, sometimes more and every once in a while watch a few of the movies too, few months ago they has all the Top Gears from season 2 up on prime and I watched most of them.

But ya the big sale yesterday was worthless, was one item I almost bought, as soon as I clicked add to cart it said it was on a wait list (and that as soon as it went live) guessing they only had one of them? but found it for 1 dollar cheaper today so no loss there.

• 5 years later...

My mom is the Prime member; however, the whole family (including her fiance and myself) have bought everything (from honey to tires) via Prime - and that is just this year.  (In fact, we saved enough on the tires alone to pay for their installation.)  Honey - I purchase raw honey monthly via Prime - in my mom's case, she purchases vitamins that way, along with household goods via Prime Pantry.  We have Prime Video on all our FireTV sticks and Fire tablets - and I've added my Windows desktop to the category; now that I know it works, I'll be adding Mom's desktop this week.  Due merely to Prime Video alone, we have not had to purchase so much as ONE movie or DVD in the past two years.  Makes the $89USD annually a bargain - merely in cost avoidance.

• Like 3

On 25/11/2014 at 17:33, streetw0lf said:

Also, the 2 day guaranteed shipping is Bull$hit.  As I write this, I was supposed to receive a package from Amazon today.  The delay is most likely the fact that they shipped it via the USPS which doesn't guarantee any delivery date.  Emailed Amazon  and they gave me a $5.00 credit.  Luckily I'm on their free month trial and will be cancelling it in a few days.

You got a credit. On a trial. The horror!

Edit: Holy hell....who dredged this up from the bowels of Neowin? We need our time stamps back. 

22 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You got a credit. On a trial. The horror!

Edit: Holy hell....who dredged this up from the bowels of Neowin? We need our time stamps back. 

For once it wasn't a newbie that dragged a topic back to life