Xbox Games with Gold: December 2014

It isn't a very wise choice to give 1 part of a 3 part game away. That's clearly just to entice masses to spend even more money than it is to be about giving back to those who continually pay for your service.

Bingo!

You honestly believe that the full amount of an XBL sub goes only towards the MP portion of the service?

Microsoft could all of a sudden start mailing you free stickers for having an XBL sub, and you'd think you are paying extra for the stickers.

The free games are just that, an added bonus. You are paying for the service.

Microsoft could all of a sudden start mailing you free stickers for having an XBL sub, and you'd think you are paying extra for the stickers.

The free games are just that, an added bonus. You are paying for the service.

Just for arguments sake in regards to your point, what would you say you were paying for when PSPlus launched on the PS3? The service or the games? Back then (and still now for PS3 anyway) MP was free.

Or how about both... You paid for things like cloud saves AND the games.

There will be PS4 owners who don't care about MP, but are happy to pay for Plus to get the games. They're paying for the games.

So there will now be Silver owners who could have ignored gold for SP who will now pay for the games. When you pay for something you are entitled to critique it. Especially when competition exists.

• Like 1

Just for arguments sake in regards to your point, what would you say you were paying for when PSPlus launched on the PS3? The service or the games? Back then (and still now for PS3 anyway) MP was free.

Or how about both... You paid for things like cloud saves AND the games.

There will be PS4 owners who don't care about MP, but are happy to pay for Plus to get the games. They're paying for the games.

So there will now be Silver owners who could have ignored gold for SP who will now pay for the games. When you pay for something you are entitled to critique it. Especially when competition exists.

PS+ offers free rentals. XBL Gold offers free games (on 360). It is a simple distinction.

PS+ started as a free rental service (and whatever else), XBL Gold started as an online MP service. Both have expanded beyond their initial outline.

PS+ offers free rentals. XBL Gold offers free games (on 360). It is a simple distinction.

PS+ started as a free rental service (and whatever else), XBL Gold started as an online MP service. Both have expanded beyond their initial outline.

Didn't MS change to the PS+ rental method as you put it?

• Like 1

No, I'm certain the games still function if the Xbox live subscription lapses. Unlike the PS+ service

I was under impression that One games were rentals but looks like it is same as 360.

Microsoft finally closed the hole I'd found on their service where I could claim both the American and Australian free games.

Was fantastic to get 2 Xbox One games (sometimes) and up to 4 360 games.

Still chuffed with all the free stuff, doubly so when you consider I haven't bought Xbox live ever (thanks Microsoft :D)

Side note, what Audioboxer said is indeed correct. If your Xbox Live subscription lapses, you keep the games but can't play them.

• Like 1

Microsoft finally closed the hole I'd found on their service where I could claim both the American and Australian free games.

Was fantastic to get 2 Xbox One games (sometimes) and up to 4 360 games.

Still chuffed with all the free stuff, doubly so when you consider I haven't bought Xbox live ever (thanks Microsoft :D)

Side note, what Audioboxer said is indeed correct. If your Xbox Live subscription lapses, you keep the games but can't play them.

That's the same as PS+. It's never been any different than that.

edit: Oops, I thought you said incorrect.

Yeah, MS saw that Sony was getting an advantage with their method and few people valued the idea of keeping digital games, so the X1 GwG mirrors PS+

I think everyone would value being able to keep their games. It's about developers not being happy that someone can pay a 1 off monthly payment and then keep a high profile game forever.

MS changed to Sonys method to try and give away better content as what they were giving away paled in comparison to what Sony was managing to tie up with developers.

I think everyone would value being able to keep their games. It's about developers not being happy that someone can pay a 1 off monthly payment and then keep a high profile game forever.

MS changed to Sonys method to try and give away better content as what they were giving away paled in comparison to what Sony was managing to tie up with developers.

There was very little public support for that aspect of MS' plan. Sure, if you asked people in a blind test, they would agree, but I know from experience that few gave it credit for being an option. Most ignored that little feature.

People wanted more free games and MS made the change that allowed that to happen.

was going to download the free 360 today and forgot they split up the month in two on the 360 and thought I was in a region that was cheated out of SSX glory for some indie crap episodic adventure I hadn't even heard of :p

guess I'll have to wait another week for snowboarding action :)  only played it for a short period while I subscribed to oneplay, then I realized I kept the games so long I might as well buy them and I often barely even played them, and with next gen it's even more pointless.

There was very little public support for that aspect of MS' plan. Sure, if you asked people in a blind test, they would agree, but I know from experience that few gave it credit for being an option. Most ignored that little feature.

People wanted more free games and MS made the change that allowed that to happen.

Criticisms were mostly with quality not quantity of games. MS can't match Sony quantity anyway, as Sony offer Vita titles.

Criticisms were mostly with quality not quantity of games. MS can't match Sony quantity anyway, as Sony offer Vita titles.

they could by adding windows phone games to the system.

they could by adding windows phone games to the system.

People think mobile gaming costs money... *insert laughter*

Mobile gaming is usually seen as either free, or so cheap it's "free" anyway (to get the games anyway, I know what mobile & free really means. <3 South Park). Adding mobile games isn't going to do much if anything for them.

My remark wasn't a criticism that they have to add more content, they don't, just a comment that if the 360/One games didn't get better in quality people would say how can Sony do better quality AND offer "more" games (due to Vita).

Exactly, the benefits of MS' option were largely ignored. So MS got rid of that.

Exactly, the benefits of MS' option were largely ignored. So MS got rid of that.

No they weren't, people, especially on Neowin, were delighted they got to keep their games versus Sony's rental method. However after a few months had past and games were panned for being poor quality or incredibly old titles, most decided the trade off to get better games via rentals was the only way they'd get what they wanted.

No they weren't, people, especially on Neowin, were delighted they got to keep their games versus Sony's rental method. However after a few months had past and games were panned for being poor quality or incredibly old titles, most decided the trade off to get better games via rentals was the only way they'd get what they wanted.

A handful of people on Neowin thinking a feature is nice does equate to any kind of majority. Most of the internet community either didn't know it was a thing or didn't care.

MS removing that feature hasn't hurt them publicly, so it has been a net positive for them.

A handful of people on Neowin thinking a feature is nice does equate to any kind of majority. Most of the internet community either didn't know it was a thing or didn't care.

MS removing that feature hasn't hurt them publicly, so it has been a net positive for them.

What are you talking about? Any gamer with a pair of eyes and a brain knew that when MS started Games for Gold you got to keep your games, not rent them. It was on the front page of Neowin as well as any other gaming news site. So was the articles about how old the games were, which after time is why MS adopted a rental scheme to offer better content.

If anything this topic proves people knew it started as download to keep forever, and didn't know it had changed to renting, at least on Xbox One. I've been quoted in this topic getting told I was wrong about renting...

What are you talking about? Any gamer with a pair of eyes and a brain knew that when MS started Games for Gold you got to keep your games, not rent them. It was on the front page of Neowin as well as any other gaming news site. So was the articles about how old the games were, which after time is why MS adopted a rental scheme to offer better content.

If anything this topic proves people knew it started as download to keep forever, and didn't know it had changed to renting, at least on Xbox One. I've been quoted in this topic getting told I was wrong about renting...

So your confident that most gamers knew that with MS' deal you kept the games forever and with PS+ you are only renting them? Your really sure about that?

You obviously saw a lot of advertising for that features, so I guess your right. I missed out on a lot of that.

I honestly don't understand how the Xbox Support site can be misleading on this.  They should clarify the verbiage if needed:

Games with Gold for Xbox One

Overview

Games with Gold offers free Xbox One games to qualifying Xbox Live Gold members. This article provides answers to commonly asked questions about the Games with Gold program.

Topics

On this page

Offer and eligibility

Games

Offer and eligibility

What is Games with Gold?
We want to thank our Xbox Live Gold members by providing two free game downloads each month. The Games with Gold program started in June 2013 for Xbox 360 members and expanded to include Xbox One in June 2014.
Is this only for new members?
Games with Gold is available to all Xbox Live Gold members. To download free games, you just need to be an Xbox Live Gold member when you redeem any Games with Gold offers.
Is Games with Gold available in my region?
Games with Gold is available in the following countries and regions: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, and United States.
Note Xbox One may not be available in all locales.
What if I am on a 30-day Xbox Live Gold credit card trial?
You're eligible. You must have a current Xbox Live Gold membership or an Xbox Live Gold trial that requires a credit card.
What if I am on a non-paid trial and I upgrade to Xbox Live Gold during the trial period to take advantage of a free game offer? Will I get the game?
If you upgrade to Xbox Live Gold during your non-paid trial period, your Xbox Live Gold membership won't start until the end of your free trial. You won't be eligible to download a currently offered free game until your trial period ends and your paid membership begins.
If I redeem a promotional Xbox Live Gold token, will I be able to download the free games?
No, you would not be eligible. You must have a current Xbox Live Gold membership or trial that requires a credit card.
Can a child download mature content through Games with Gold?
All Xbox parental control settings are respected by the Games with Gold program. Any restrictions set on purchasing mature content will be applied to child accounts when downloading titles offered through Games with Gold.

Games

What games are included in this month?s offer?
Head over to xbox.com/live/games-with-gold for full details on this month?s games.
What kinds of games are included?
Games will be a mixture of fan-favorite Xbox Live Arcade and Games on Demand digital titles.
What will be the ratings on the games?
Game ratings will vary.
Will the titles be disclosed in advance of free game offers?
Generally, game titles won't be disclosed in advance.
Do I get to keep the games?
Yes, once you download the games, they are yours to keep.
What happens if I miss a game?
Unfortunately, you can't go back and download games from prior periods once a free game download offering period has elapsed.