Lung Cancer awareness month and air purfiers ? !

Well I'm a smoker who has tried to kick the butt and my wife makes me feel guilty sometimes telling me that I'm risking the health of the family and as an icing to the cake my employer comes up with this idea of giving us  air purifiers on a discounted rate as a part of some Lung cancer awareness initiative this month. I'm on a guilt trip right now ...

Guys do you think I should buy this air purifier ? It costs $900 but they are giving it to us for $500 . It supposedly has many filters and ionizing action etc..; I already have a filter for my air conditioner which I think would suffice . 

Why don't just give up on smoking? which is the root cause of guilt, not only you save a lot of $$$ but also save your & yours family health. you won't even think about those purifier anymore.

• Like 3

Quit or smoke outside. 2nd-hand smoke is a proven carcinogen. I suppose an air purifier wouldn't hurt, but come on man, what are you thinking? Yeah, your clothes and breath will still stink, but at least you will be improving your family's health immediately, particularly any children, by taking your habit outdoors. And often times the simplest solutions are the best. And cheapest, I might add.

Effing cancer takes away too good people as it is. Please dude, just smoke outside.

• Like 2

I think in the first place you shouldn't be smoking . The least you can do for your family and kids is smoke outside the house . Your addiction to nicotine is putting your family at risk .Air purifiers can just get rid of smoke . It's not an excuse to smoke inside your home . Anyways I think if you are getting a room air purifier for either  $900 or $500 both are way too pricey . I think they might be giving you some of those fancy overrated air purifiers with 2 or 3 filters which you'll have to keep replacing and cleaning frequently .  btw air filters for air conditioners are outdated .Take my advise and invest in an air purifier which has a single filter , Saves you the hassle of cleaning . I personally recommend Clair air purifier . Its relatively new but has garnered good reviews 

You can take a look at this website http://go-clair.com/ . It has all the functions of 2 or 3 filters combined in one and the air filters last for 12 to 18 months . 

Stand alone air purifiers are BS, the only ones that actually work are large installation ones with ducts and vents all over the house. If you have a decent AC/heat pump with something like plasma filter it'll help some, a regular one with just plain filters do as much as the stand alones, it'll get rid of some of the larger dust particles, that's it.

Quit smoking is about the only solution.

I think in the first place you shouldn't be smoking . The least you can do for your family and kids is smoke outside the house . Your addiction to nicotine is putting your family at risk .Air purifiers can just get rid of smoke . It's not an excuse to smoke inside your home . Anyways I think if you are getting a room air purifier for either  $900 or $500 both are way too pricey . I think they might be giving you some of those fancy overrated air purifiers with 2 or 3 filters which you'll have to keep replacing and cleaning frequently .  btw air filters for air conditioners are outdated .Take my advise and invest in an air purifier which has a single filter , Saves you the hassle of cleaning . I personally recommend Clair air purifier . Its relatively new but has garnered good reviews 

You can take a look at this website http://go-clair.com/ . It has all the functions of 2 or 3 filters combined in one and the air filters last for 12 to 18 months . 

I am not not using air purifiers as an excuse to smoke but I just want to ensure that my habit doesn't put my family at risk .Hmm.. I went through the Clair air purifier website . The purifiier looks pretty small . I have read that the bigger and more powerful the air purifiers the better their efficiency .This Clair air purifier thingy  looks neat but I think its minuscule compared to the other air purifiers in the same range and it apparently has just a single filter ?!! Nowadays all the air purifiers come with a minimum of 3 to 4 filters .

well smoking is gross and I hate smokers. I had to clean the walls of this house 6 times bc the staind and nasty on the walls! That crap is in your lungs ppl! It still won't come out and this is why landlords won't rent to smokers and If I have rental properties I will never rent to smokers!!!

Stand alone air purifiers are BS, the only ones that actually work are large installation ones with ducts and vents all over the house. If you have a decent AC/heat pump with something like plasma filter it'll help some, a regular one with just plain filters do as much as the stand alones, it'll get rid of some of the larger dust particles, that's it.

Quit smoking is about the only solution.

Thanks for the brutally honest suggestion mate !

the smoke is too fine to be filtered out of the air, so is a waste of money.

you would have to use some kind of activated carbon filter, that would only take some of the harmful chemicals out of the air, not all, and would have to be replaced every few months.

if your a smoker, best option is to either smoke with the windows open, although this will depend on how long you leave the windows open and how much air is circulating in the room, most of the none detectable gasses produced will still be in the room and through out the house, Or smoke outside, where all the smoke will go into the atmosphere.

only other option is to use a safer alternative like a nicotine substitute or vaporiser, or just quit.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not not using air purifiers as an excuse to smoke but I just want to ensure that my habit doesn't put my family at risk .Hmm.. I went through the Clair air purifier website . The purifier looks pretty small . I have read that the bigger and more powerful the air purifiers the better their efficiency .This Clair air purifier thingy  looks neat but I think its minuscule compared to the other air purifiers in the same range and it apparently has just a single filter ?!! Nowadays all the air purifiers come with a minimum of 3 to 4 filters .

This is the most common misconception people in general have about air purifiers .A gigantic looking air purifier will not ensure that the air you are breathing is cleaner . What actually matters is the technology behind the air purifier and also the more filters an air purifier has the more your maintenance cost will be . Imagine owning an air purifier with 3 or 4 filters each costing around $50 and having to replace them every 4 months !! In a single year you'll have to shell out $300 -$400 just to replace the filters . Think about it ..

Now coming to the minuscule air purifier I recommended . If you take a look at the website literature (which I'm sure you haven't gone through) you'll read about the e2f filter . I don't want to elaborate here. You can find all the info on this page http://go-clair.com/pages/the-e2f-filter  .Since it employs static electricity as well there is no need for a power sucking big fan to go with this air purifier. Another parameter you probably overlooked  is the  particulate capturing efficiency of this particular Clair air purifier . It can capture particulate matter smaller than 0.1 micron . Since most of the disease causing virus is  0.1 micron and smaller it means virus which cannot  be captured by normal HEPA air purifiers (the present day HEPA standard is 0.3 micron) can be trapped by the fibers of this e2f filter .