Feds spend $466,642 to study why obese girls have less sex

While most Americans put on a few pounds for Thanksgiving, the federal government has been spending hundreds of thousands of tax-payer dollars researching why obese girls don?t have sex. :huh:

The National Institute for Health grant allocated $466,642 to the Magee-Women?s Research Institute to study the sexual habits of obese girls, including how often they have sex and why they are less likely to use protection when they do.

?Obese girls consistently report having fewer dating and sexual experiences, but more sexual risk behaviors [i.e., condom nonuse] once they are sexually active,? the study abstract states.

Money from the 2014 study will also be used to see how race plays into the sex life of girls.

?Finally, by exploring how relationship experiences differ among African American and White adolescent girls, our approach acknowledges that cultural differences in beauty norms exist and are important,? the abstract says.

The study will compare sexual relationships between obese girls and non-obese girls. A NIH grant spent about $170,000 on a similar study last year that examined how being lesbian or gay affects a person?s weight and health.

source

Why would they spend all that money on trying to find out something that's so obvious.

Its clearly because nobody wants to date an Obese girl.

You can say I'm being offensive but its a fact.

• Like 4

Why would they spend all that money on trying to find out something that's so obvious.

Its clearly because nobody wants to date an Obese girl.

You can say I'm being offensive but its a fact.

This report deserves a "duh" as to why!

Someone wasted money completely here.

Also last paragraph seems missing,

?Findings from the few studies examining weight disparities among adults suggest that lesbian women are more likely to be overweight or obese compared to their heterosexual peers, though less is known about gay men and bisexuals,? the study?s abstract states.

They could have just doled out free gym memberships to those people who don't consider they have enough sexual encounters theres no need to make a survey out of it

Sensationalist title, there's obviously more to it than that. From the abstract: 

Obese girls consistently report having fewer dating and sexual experiences, but more sexual risk behaviors (i.e., condom nonuse) once they are sexually active

However, no studies have actually examined whether the interpersonal skills and intimate relationships of obese and non-obese girls differ.

You could argue that it's obvious, but the reality of it is that there are a lot more factors involved than just "cause they're obese".

The National Institute for Health grant allocated $466,642 to the Magee-Women?s Research Institute to study the sexual habits of obese girls, including how often they have sex and why they are less likely to use protection when they do.

So why is that? Would it be an issue that impacts health care?

Because we live in a "Perfection based society". My wife and every gal I dated before her was heavy set, and though they may not have more sex than a stick figure, they definately know how to appreciate it more, and usually leads to great lovin.

• Like 2

My question is: Is the $466,642 the feds spent on this study really our tax dollars, or a portion of the $18 trillion that we've borrowed, mostly from China? I'm just sayin'. Personally, I think studies like this are totally ridiculous, and definitely not something the government should be spending money on! (Maybe that's why we're so far in debt!) Again, just sayin'. :)

My question is: Is the $466,642 the feds spent on this study really our tax dollars, or a portion of the $18 trillion that we've borrowed, mostly from China? I'm just sayin'. Personally, I think studies like this are totally ridiculous, and definitely not something the government should be spending money on! (Maybe that's why we're so far in debt!) Again, just sayin'. :)

Why is it ridiculous to look into whether these folks are using protective devices during sex? Why is it not important to look into the reasons why they choose to engage in more risk during sex?

Why is it ridiculous to look into whether these folks are using protective devices during sex? Why is it not important to look into the reasons why they choose to engage in more risk during sex?

Why does the government have to stick their nose into people's private life? (Especially their bedrooms). Doesn't the word privacy mean anything, anymore?

• Like 1

Why does the government have to stick their nose into people's private life? (Especially their bedrooms). Doesn't the word privacy mean anything, anymore?

There are costs to society that are incurred by unprotected sex. Two of them are unwanted pregnancy, and disease. Better understanding the reasons that lead to these costs can help reduce them.

Although it makes for a snappy subject line, it sounds like their interest is not in "why obese girls have less sex" but why obese women choose to engage in higher-risk sexual behavior. And understanding that issue does have public health implications. If there's a statistically significant difference between obese and non-obese women when it comes to unwanted pregnancies or contracting sexually transmitted diseases, and they can determine the underlying causes, then there's a policy interest there as well.

Not all things that we consider to be "obvious" actually have obvious root causes, and as we all (should) know, correlation does not imply causation. Because a woman is obese and is having higher-risk sexual encounters, albeit with less frequency, it does not necessarily mean that she is engaging in those behaviors simply because she is obese. Before you can begin resolving a problem, you need to understand it.

just throwing an idea out there...

hormone imbalance?

We are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum, but kudos for this response. These type of studies can produce data that is quite valuable though it may not be readily apparent to Call of Duty players /s.

Could be hormone imbalance. Given the popularity of BBWs, I'd be interested in the criteria for obesity here and the findings.

• Like 1

Although it makes for a snappy subject line, it sounds like their interest is not in "why obese girls have less sex" but why obese women choose to engage in higher-risk sexual behavior. And understanding that issue does have public health implications. If there's a statistically significant difference between obese and non-obese women when it comes to unwanted pregnancies or contracting sexually transmitted diseases, and they can determine the underlying causes, then there's a policy interest there as well.

Not all things that we consider to be "obvious" actually have obvious root causes, and as we all (should) know, correlation does not imply causation. Because a woman is obese and is having higher-risk sexual encounters, albeit with less frequency, it does not necessarily mean that she is engaging in those behaviors simply because she is obese. Before you can begin resolving a problem, you need to understand it.

Good point, mstefanik. I suppose looking at it from a public health standpoint, there's definitely a public policy interest there.