Over 250,000 animals killed as part of a festival

So I suppose GOD commanding the jews to kill sheep, doves etc for temporary atonement is bad?

Yes!  It surely seems bad. I find it strange, the need to take a life to get some temporary benefit.  Does not seem right one bit!

Ok it appears to be the third largest slaughter of animals behind Thanksgiving and Eid. The BBC reports that all the meat and skins are sold to traders.

Still sounds to me a horrific event. 

I was unaware of that. I guess it makes it a little less bad.

• Like 1

If the Animals are eaten and the hide is sold then I don't see very much wrong with this. I hope that the deaths are fairly quick.

that was my thoughs.   the hides are sold, and i have a feeling, with 2.5 million people attending, i highly doubt they would waste all the meats.

after seen american slaughterhouse videos, i know most animal know they are going to be killed, just like here.   so i think it is not such terrible practice many are making it out to be.

i mean seriuously, as mentioned above,  how many turkeys are murdered for thanksgiving every year, and in what conditins they live.  by comparison, the buffaloes brought in by the participants, had a life of paradise!

>

i mean seriuously, as mentioned above, how many turkeys are murdered for thanksgiving every year, and in what conditins they live. by comparison, the buffaloes brought in by the participants, had a life of paradise!

Over 4.5 million turkeys are served on Thanksgiving alone, and probably several million other families have ham. Now start counting those who serve beef, venison (deer season is still open) etc.

Answer me this:

You are going to be killed by a superior alien race. After you are dead, do you:

a) Want your corpse to be cooked and eaten and have your skin used to make alien footwear, etc.

b) Want your corpse to be thrown away.

c) Not really care, as you would have preferred not to have been killed at all, and there can be no solace in having been killed for "justifiable" reasons.

Answer me this:

You are going to be killed by a superior alien race. After you are dead, do you:

a) Want your corpse to be cooked and eaten and have your skin used to make alien footwear, etc.

b) Want your corpse to be thrown away.

c) Not really care, as you would have preferred not to have been killed at all, and there can be no solace in having been killed for "justifiable" reasons.

what the hell does this have to do with any superiour alien race.   all living organisms on earth are continuously killing, or are being killed.

this has being the way of life ever since the beginning.    and yes, animal don't just kill for sustenance, they kill for fun too.  

to say that humans must not kill because of their perceived superiority, is demeaning to the humans.   and pointless, since humans everyday kill and torture more animals then anyone.

so don't this this is an isolated insident, or that it will go away anytime soon.  this festival is a tiny dot on the map of human behaviors. 

and i would much rather see ritual sacrifices every 5 years, then an everyday continuing degradation and torture of animals mass produced for meat!

all living organisms on earth are continuously killing, or are being killed.

this has being the way of life ever since the beginning.    and yes, animal don't just kill for sustenance, they kill for fun too.

Are you suggesting its ok to kill any living thing for fun?

not at all.  if you read my whole post, i was trying to say that this is not isolated incident, and that we regularly torture and kill way more animals, and no, i don't think it is ok.

however it is happening everyday, and this little festival should be the least of our worries.

You have missed the point of my silly post. (hint: the aliens are irrelevant....)

so, what you say, it does not matter the reasoning, dead is dead.    

i am not sure i agree with "dead is dead" and i think what happens after, even if you don't believe in afterlife,

has an effect on everyone in the living community, mentally. 

i think animals killed for food and protection from elements, is different as from those killed for fun. 

(unlike mr. rippleman /above/ seem to have deduced from my posts for some reason :huh: )

So I suppose GOD commanding the jews to kill sheep, doves etc for temporary atonement is bad? some cases are legal and justified. Judaism is one of the oldest religions in the world.

I'm pretty sure He did not command them to kill 250,000 all at once for no good reason, it was a burnt offering to show a sign of repentance. Besides He does not require physical burnt offerings anymore. Back then there were a lot more animals roaming free, the Jews were nomads, and God never said slaughter or mass murder them.

Do you not stop spiders or ants for fun? A lot of people do.

So I suppose GOD commanding the jews to kill sheep, doves etc for temporary atonement is bad? some cases are legal and justified. Judaism is one of the oldest religions in the world.

explain exactly what happens when the jews killed sheep and doves. How does the temporary atonement work? Explain in detail.. does the killing start a transfer of energy? how? what part does the most good, the time during death or after death? Does Yahweh get enjoyment out of the sacrifice? Does he get rewarded? does he get their energy? Does he find satisfaction in the termination of life? If there are 2 sheep, and one is bigger then they other, does one give more of whatever Yahweh is looking for?  Does gender of the sheep give off more of what he is after? What about sheep individual characteristic... if Yahweh is after something from the termination of an sheep, what individual trait of the sheep gives off the biggest pleasure for him? What part of the kill does he like best? how come he likes that one part best? What is it that this "thing" that Yahweh wants????

while animal sacrifice seem to be in all religions.. its 2014. time for religious people to wake up and not kill animals or people (in the case of Islam currently)

so, what you say, it does not matter the reasoning, dead is dead.

Yes. It is no more comforting to an animal knowing that his flesh is to be eaten than the knowledge that it is being sacrificed to appease a non-existent deity.

i am not sure i agree with "dead is dead" and i think what happens after, even if you don't believe in afterlife, has an effect on everyone in the living community, mentally.

Care to elaborate?

I think animals killed for food and protection from elements, is different as from those killed for fun.

Oh, I agree (though I'm not sure what you mean about protection from elements), but let's not get too smug about it just because we actually digest most of the animals we kill.

• Like 1