Surface pro 3 wifi unstable

Hi everyone,

I'm currently having some issues with my Surface pro 3 (i5 model) when it comes to wifi speed. The speed has been very unstable, going from a solid 30 down and even dropping as low as 3-5 down. Is anyone else is having this issue and is there a solution? I've tried everything I could find on Google and nothing is working.

At work we have 23 of the 256 core i5 models and a few of the i7 models and they all have Very unstable wifi. Microsoft keeps pushing updates for it to make it more stable but it hasn't helped yet.

any other devices have this issue? is it only the surface? 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz?

Nope, just the surface. Its 2.4Ghz

Just wanted to state the obvious - they have released several firmware updates to address wifi performance on the surface 3 (via Windows Update).  Make sure you are fully patched.

Yup, did all the updates and the problem persists.

I was dealing with the same thing until this last update. It fixed wifi for me almost completely. The last few haven't done it like this one.

Almost fixed? So you're still getting unstable speeds?

Have you tried disabling the power control settings on it. I have seen some luck with that. Telling Windows its not allowed to mess with the power on that device?

Have you tried disabling the power control settings on it. I have seen some luck with that. Telling Windows its not allowed to mess with the power on that device?

how do I do that? I've looked into the driver configurations and I can't find the power management settings.

how do I do that? I've looked into the driver configurations and I can't find the power management settings.

Go to the device manager and then double tap or right click and go to properties on the wireless device and then go to Power Settings and Uncheck the box that says " allow Windows to disable this device to save power"

Go to the device manager and then double tap or right click and go to properties on the wireless device and then go to Power Settings and Uncheck the box that says " allow Windows to disable this device to save power"

There's no settings as far as I can see : Screenshot1.png

There's no settings as far as I can see :

this is correct ans the power cfg for the SP3 has been nerfed for battery life. if you do an internet search for power cdfg profiles or something along those lines you will find a reg hack to enable these I believe.

There's no settings as far as I can see : Screenshot1.png

go to tools and show Hidden and then it is listed under Bluetooth (it uses one device for both wifi and bluetooth)

go to tools and show Hidden and then it is listed under Bluetooth (it uses one device for both wifi and bluetooth)

I don't know where to look for these settings, where do I find "tools"?

I don't know where to look for these settings, where do I find "tools"?

Sorry about that, now I feel like a fool. Looks like its View | Show Hidden Items.

post-120066-0-59458800-1417478603.png

Sorry about that, now I feel like a fool. Looks like its View | Show Hidden Items.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Just tried that and the only device with the "Power Management" tab is the WiFi direct adapter.

Also, I think I may have found a solution to the problem. It has to do with what @enroh has said about power management. I followed the following video guide and it has seem to do the trick. I will report back if there's the speed becomes unstable again:

http://youtu.be/rTxtXmEGUto

Just a quick update on my connection status. The connection seems more stable now, good enough for streaming videos. However, I've notice in gaming that my ping gets tiny little spikes every few seconds or so. It is certainly noticeable and makes online gaming not so enjoyable as it should.

Since the WiFi adapter on the surface seems to be an issue currently, I've order a USB wireless adapter to see if that solves my problem. I'll keep you guys updated if this solves my problem or not.