RAID 1 Solo Disk Clones (But Not Really)

I have a BusyBox NAS RAID 1 setup.  One of the drives (disk 2) has failed with lots of SMART errors and I am unable to boot.  Before I start any repairs, I would like to clone the drives.  My problem is, is failed Disk 2 will not clone, but my real problem is working Disk 1 clones, but when I run mdadm --examine /dev/sda3 on the clone it finds nothing.  Yet when I do this on the original drive it finds the proper information!

I've cloned the drives with StarTech SDOCK2U33RE (A standalone device that clones disks sector-by-sector), as well as with TrueImage 2014.  What is strange is that mdadm --examine /dev/sda1 on the clone actually works, but does not work for /dev/sda3, which just happens to be where all the data is.  It states "No md superblock detected on /dev/sda3".

I should note that /dev/sda3 is a LVM container.  I should also note, I am a Linux newbie, or more so, my Linux skills are outdated.

So my question is, why are my sector-by-sector clones displaying different results from the source disk?  Could it be that the information is there, but not recognized due to something like a hardware ID that is not being cloned?  Can I fix the the clones?

Bonus Points:

To recover the data from the working disk 1, I plan on following the directions located here: http://www.howtoforge.com/recover_data_from_raid_lvm_partitions

Is there maybe a better way to possibly repair the raid, or configure it to run with a single disk?

The failed drive 2 is still accessible and I can still pull mdadm info.  I have included images of both drive mdadm --examine printouts (each disk booted by itself from a knoppix live disc without the other disk installed).

Thanks for all your assistance!  It is VERY much appreciated!  I'll be checking this thread frequently and will be very active in responding to all those willing to help.  Thank you!

mdadm --examine output on failed disk 2

Rr7p9fY.jpg?1

mdadm --examine output on working disk 1 the clone shows the same thing, except no superblock found for sda3

Y6vXu8G.jpg?1