Snapchat blocks 6snap for Windows Phone

There's little logic to it, it's just a personal choice. There are a number of developers on WP who have been and are successful, so that 3% you like to toss out as being peanuts, in the overall smartphone market translates into a big chunk of users, this is a fact but something people need to take into account and not just the percentages. The raw unit sold numbers are the important ones here.

also need to factor in that app users on WP like ios is far more likely to pay for apps.

then you have the fact that the vast majority of android users use the phones as dumb phones and never install a single app. they bare if ever even use the browser.

It doesn't matter how long Microsoft has been in the market, what matters is the fact that they are saying "f*ck off" to over 50 million Windows Phone users. In Europe, WP has a nice share, with 24 countries already beeing second, before iOS. You don't seem to have a Windows Phone device, so please, you have no point in this conversation go play with your Android/iOS device, but here, Windows Phone users like to have a normal discussion.

50 million users? Source? That seems inflated... Please post a concrete source stating the actual number.

50 million users in Europe? Source? That seems inflated... Please post a concrete source stating the actual number.

Note the full stop (period) in between "users. In Europe"

About two weeks ago, Team Snapchat sent me a message on my account saying they would block my account if i continued using a third party client. Well, everyone knows that every single Windows Phone user uses 6snap as a Snapchat client.

Today, my account was blocked following which I was forced to change my password. If they continue doing this, Snapchat will alienate every single Windows Phone user from their service.

In my opinion this is something unacceptable. They either need to provide a fully functional official client, or need to stop blocking third party applications on platforms where they do not have official clients. Since Neowin is largeley a Windows Phone and Windows community, what better place to start? I feel we should start a petition against Snapchat Inc. to fix this on www.change.org . Anyone up for this?

That's a bold statement, no pun intended, as I don't use 6snap and I'm a Windows Phone user.

Snapchat isn't blocking "Windows Phone Users"

They are blocking people using an unauthorized 3rd party service.

Also 3% (not 4) might be millions of users, but how many of them are using Snapchat? So yes, they CAN turn their backs on them, with ease. And it's their choice to do so. But making this out as some vendetta against WP when it's them securing their service is silly.

Also, for the record, I have no dislike of WP. I've played with it a little, I prefer it to most every Android device I've used. But I'm looking at the numbers. And you can talk all you want about how it's gonna clime in the future, here, today, it's nothing. Demanding support for 3% is like IE6 users demanding support on websites.. (0.1% of all browsers is still far more people to support than the 3% of WP). Fact is, the numbers WP has now, it's not worth Snapchat paying a dev to do anything about it.

And no, some 3rd party offering to do xyz doesn't cut it, If Snapchat has no interest is opening their platform, then they aren't going to do it. For anyone. Given the recent issues, I can't blame them for locking it down, and I don't blame them for potentially alienating a Very small % of their consumer base in the process.

Yet considering Snapchat don't have an official client on WP and all WP users can use are apps that are effectively a "3rd party service" they ARE blocking WP users.

It doesn't matter how long Microsoft has been in the market, what matters is the fact that they are saying "f*ck off" to over 50 million Windows Phone users. 

There may be 50 million Windows Phone users... but there are over a billion Android and iOS users.  

That's probably why SnapChat don't seem to care about Windows Phone.

I'll give props to the developers of the "unauthorized" SnapChat clients for Windows Phone... but SnapChat clearly doesn't like it. So whataya gonna do?

That's a bold statement, no pun intended, as I don't use 6snap and I'm a Windows Phone user.

I think the clue is in the end of the sentence, which you neglected to highlight. when you include that it changes the meaning radically.

I think the clue is in the end of the sentence, which you neglected to highlight. when you include that it changes the meaning radically.

No, it doesn't 6snap is a Snapchat client and only connects to Snapchat so quoting the end of the sentence makes no difference whatsoever.

No, it doesn't 6snap is a Snapchat client and only connects to Snapchat so quoting the end of the sentence makes no difference whatsoever.

umm yes it does.

without the end, you imply he said every WP user uses snapchat, with the end it simply says ever WP snapchat user uses 6snap. which is probably true.

personally I don't see why people care about and use snapchat anyway. you can send pictures in every other messaging client, and it's only use has been to send nude pics you can't save, and that's been compromised nearly from the start.

umm yes it does.

without the end, you imply he said every WP user uses snapchat, with the end it simply says ever WP snapchat user uses 6snap. which is probably true.

personally I don't see why people care about and use snapchat anyway. you can send pictures in every other messaging client, and it's only use has been to send nude pics you can't save, and that's been compromised nearly from the start.

Well, no it still doesn't because not every WP user uses 6snap because not every WP user uses Snapchat, I should know as I'm one of them. You're just arguing for the sake of it!!!

I do agree with you about people caring about Snapchat, seems like a pointless service to me as I thought that the point of a photo was to keep it and not have it self destruct after a certain time.

There may be 50 million Windows Phone users... but there are over a billion Android and iOS users.  

That's probably why SnapChat don't seem to care about Windows Phone.

I'll give props to the developers of the "unauthorized" SnapChat clients for Windows Phone... but SnapChat clearly doesn't like it. So whataya gonna do?

Not bother to use Snapchat, not that I use it anyway!!!!

Well, no it still doesn't because not every WP user uses 6snap because not every WP user uses Snapchat, I should know as I'm one of them. You're just arguing for the sake of it!!!

I do agree with you about people caring about Snapchat, seems like a pointless service to me as I thought that the point of a photo was to keep it and not have it self destruct after a certain time.

did you even read my post? my point was that when you include the end, it DOESN'T mean every WP user uses snapchat, and I should know as well since I'm a WP user without snapchat.

• 3 weeks later...

Does not matter if windows phone only have 3% of the market. If they want there service on all users then windows phone needs to have it. They are over a billion dollar company. They can spend a few 100,000 dollars of making and updating. This just shows you that the company has no legs. Let's face it the model they have makes no money and they should had Facebook buy them.

• 1 month later...

did you even read my post? my point was that when you include the end, it DOESN'T mean every WP user uses snapchat, and I should know as well since I'm a WP user without snapchat.

He just wants to prove his point. Let him be. The statement clearly said "as a snapchat client"; you know what I mean.