What needs to be replaced on this tablet?

So I bought a tablet last year, Asus Memo Pad Smart 10, and within 2 months of owning it, I broke it and my girlfriend broke hers that I bought for her as well. I have kept them in the closet but now that I want an new one I decided to maybe try and fix these.

The screen is cracked but the picture is still fine and sharp, problem is, nothing happens when I touch the screen. Does that mean the digitizer is broken? Or would a simple replacement of the LCD work and make it like new? If the cost to fix it is the same to get a new one, imma buy a new 8 inch tablet instead.

So I bought a tablet last year, Asus Memo Pad Smart 10, and within 2 months of owning it, I broke it and my girlfriend broke hers that I bought for her as well. I have kept them in the closet but now that I want an new one I decided to maybe try and fix these.

The screen is cracked but the picture is still fine and sharp, problem is, nothing happens when I touch the screen. Does that mean the digitizer is broken? Or would a simple replacement of the LCD work and make it like new? If the cost to fix it is the same to get a new one, imma buy a new 8 inch tablet instead.

Would see if you can connect it to a PC and access anything from it and possible head over to XDA and read how to flash a stock ROM and go from there.  Could be software related.  If the screen is cracked, then it was either dropped, sat on, or something else so could be a hardware problem.

You can buy new digitizers off ebay for roughly $50.  Also appears to be replacement parts on Amazon.  May be cheaper/easier just to get a different tablet.

• Like 1

With 60$ Atom tablets available I wouldn't even bother considering fixing a Memopad.

Even if it's only $60 to fix? I like the thing but I don't have a problem buying a new one.

Yup, I have full access to everything once I plug it in. And it was sat on, that's why it is cracked.

There there is no telling what could be wrong with it. Could one thing, or several. Unless you can find a place that will look at it for cheap and offer cheap repairs, just chalk it up to a loss and move on.

If the picture is nice and sharp and you can actually see it, it's just the digitizer that's cracked. It sits in front of the screen, and transmits touch signals to the tablet mainboard, which then updates the picture on the screen. The screen is usually about a quarter of an inch away from it internally. You don't actually touch the screen, it's like a trackpad, it detects static.

The digitizer is normally easy to replace (but that's me talking as a techie who's done it loads), and I personally wouldn't charge you $60 for it, more like $30. I live in the UK though, postage and everything else, customs etc would take it too high.

Don't scrap them. Keep your eyes open on eBay for any digitizers, and maybe give it a shot yourself, but be very patient, there's usually loads of glue and/or clips holding a tablet together and they're normally structural.

Even if it's only $60 to fix? I like the thing but I don't have a problem buying a new one.

You're repairing something that had pretty bad performance (only 1GB of RAM) and is not getting any update. Unless the repair is very cheap I wouldn't waste the time fixing one.

• Like 3

Any suggestions on what to get?

Oh and I have been away from this place for a while but with all my travels around this internet, there is no place like Neowin.

Oh and I have been away from this place for a while but with all my travels around this internet, there is no place like Neowin.

Below 150$ the only decent models are tablets with Windows (like the HP Stream 7 at 99$, but there are also cheaper models). The Android ones usually have just 1gb of RAM that is completely insufficient for Android, also they come with horrible SoCs and unbelievably outdated Android versions.

You can get a refurbed N7 32gb for roughly $150 or a 16gb for around $100.