Teen rescued after getting stuck in chimney

SCOTTSDALE -- A Scottsdale teenager found himself in a tight situation Tuesday night when he got stuck in his own chimney.

This happened around 7:00 p.m. near Hayden and Oak in south Scottsdale. The 13-year-old boy became trapped after he reportedly got locked out of his house, and tried to enter by going down the chimney.

Crews from the Scottsdale, Phoenix and Tempe fire departments were all called to the scene. Technical rescue crews then went to work trying to extricate the boy.

The teen had apparently entered through the top of the chimney Police say he took an extension cord and tied it to a vent, and went down. But once inside, he got stuck in the "flue" area.

"It was about this wide, up top, where he went in," describes Capt. Dave Folio of the Scottsdale Fire Department. "So he just literally went down, hanging onto that rope. he got down to that area and realized he couldn't go out. He just sat there and called 911."

Once the boy realized he was trapped, he used his cell phone to call 911.

During the rescue, crews were able to hand the boy a mask and goggles so he wouldn't be affected by the dust being raised in the extrication process.

Rescuers were able to bring the teen out of the chimney safely. He was shaken up but not hurt.

His parents were not home at the time of the rescue, but firefighters were able to reach a family member to come stay with the boy.

Source

This kid clearly wasn't the smartest lol.

Why would that be the first thing to pop into his head?

There is so much that could go wrong with that plan. He could have fell off his roof and done some real damage to himself.

Why didn't his parents give him a house key? What if there was a fire and he needed to get out?

If I had been locked out I'd just have phoned my mother or just waited at a friends house for a while like a normal person but oh no this kid wanted to pretend he was santa.

so where did tradition about fictionous fat santa going down to the chimney came from?

'A Visit from St. Nicholas'

~ Clement Clarke Moore; Troy, New York Sentinel December 23, 1823

>

And then in a twinkling, I heard on the roof

The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,

Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound:

He was dress'd all in fur, from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were all tarnish'd with ashes and soot;

>

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,

And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.

He had a broad face, and a little round belly

That shook when he laugh'd, like a bowl full of jelly:

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,

>

Why didn't his parents give him a house key? What if there was a fire and he needed to get out?

If you knew your kid was dumb enough to try going through a chimney, would you give him keys to the house?

'A Visit from St. Nicholas'

~ Clement Clarke Moore; Troy, New York Sentinel December 23, 1823

"Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound: ...

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,"

i see, its because The Chimney are not "Santa-Compliant" and/or the teen are even more fatter than Santa.

i see, its because The Chimney are not "Santa-Compliant" and/or the teen are even more fatter than Santa.

He was on TV and is actually your prototypical skinny kid. The problem was that the chimney flue narrowed to a wide slot only 4-6" across. Even his skinny little arse wouldn't fit.

Yep a proper ELF and Safety Santa risk