Why Did Titanfall Fail Commercially?

I have been reading that Titanfall has been a disaster commercially. I recently bought the game from Origin on Black Friday for $4.99 for my PC and I absolutely love it. I think its a great game. Reminds me of Unreal Tournament. So, why do people say this game failed if its so good?

Well it doesn't have single player...

I got bored after 10 hours.

But single player (campaign) is boring as hell. The fun is on multiplayer online gaming.

I played the beta.  I did not like it, at all.  when I saw the $5 price I was not surprised.  the reason why it failed I think is cause a large percentage of people don't find the UT style of game appealing anymore.  I don't want to play something thats feels like it was 10 years ago.

I personally want to see ww2 fps games now.  I'm tired of the modern/future fps games they've been doing for the past 7 years.  I want to see battlefield go back to ww2 with those great bf3/4 graphics.  it seems about time.

• Like 1

Brand new IP, no matter how hyped, often don't do well with the first entry, and having it locked to the non-especially popular (at the time) Xbox One wouldn't have helped.

It'll be interesting to see how Titanfall 2 goes.

I played the beta.  I did not like it, at all.  when I saw the $5 price I was not surprised.  the reason why it failed I think is cause a large percentage of people don't find the UT style of game appealing anymore.  I don't want to play something thats feels like it was 10 years ago.

I personally want to see ww2 fps games now.  I'm tired of the modern/future fps games they've been doing for the past 7 years.  I want to see battlefield go back to ww2 with those great bf3/4 graphics.  it seems about time.

Been playing through Medal of Honor on GOG recently. Brings back memories.

I lost interest because of the lack of variety the game has. Only 1 weapon for each type? Not very many interesting perks/abilities, etc. The maps weren't very interesting and matches were usually lopsided in score and skill.

The titans were fun but even they were lacking. Prestige can only keep people busy for so long when it doesn't really add anything new to the game.

I suspect being locked to one console, and (until just recently) significantly lower then expected X1 console sales.

With Destiny, Halo, COD AW, right on it's heels, it probably had to perform very well (which it didn't) in a short amount of time.

Personally, I found it boring pretty quick. 

I may of made it's development cost and advertising budget, but considering how before the final expansion came out announcing it's the last one is a sign it didn't meet there expectations. 

Started with Forbes and I don't believe they ever provided numbers after this article either

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/05/06/ea-net-revenue-down-releases-no-titanfall-sales-numbers/

Cheers for that. A good read.

What i will say is that, at least with my XBL friends, there's been zero replay value. When the game was released, every one on the list was playing and with a month it vanished.

Would also be interesting to see initial game purchase figures compared to DLC purchase figures.

But single player (campaign) is boring as hell. The fun is on multiplayer online gaming.

That's very subjective depending on who you speak to. These days the single player story of a game is much more important to me than the multi-player side of things.

That's very subjective depending on who you speak to. These days the single player story of a game is much more important to me than the multi-player side of things.

Subjective, unless the game doesn't have a traditional SP, like Titanfall :P

Subjective, unless the game doesn't have a traditional SP, like Titanfall :p

Apparently I misunderstood. I haven't played Titanfall and was under the impression that it had no SP at all. Never mind eh :p

I guess mainly the lack of content compared to the other 'major' shooters like EA's own Battlefield series and CoD made the game have a very quick demise.

it failed because of miscalculation, they made an exclusive in a less sold current gen console at that time... it was obvious that its gonna bomb...

i dont need to be patcher to not see that this its coming.

Wait, you don't want to play something that feels like it was 10 years ago, but you do want to play new ww2 type fps like those from 10 years ago? Got it.

I hate to say it, but because it was an Xbox-exclusive title? Ryse suffered the same fate and nearly bankrupted Crytek. Exclusives are a bad idea financially, and even worse when the target console is performing as badly as the Xbone is.

• Like 2

I'll take a stab at it and say due to the $499 price tag for the Xbox One, being available on PC (not a pure exclusive)

If they slashed the X1 down att like the holiday price cut $350 and bundled that game in. It would have done a lot better.

I hate to say it, but because it was an Xbox-exclusive title? Ryse suffered the same fate and nearly bankrupted Crytek. Exclusives are a bad idea financially, and even worse when the target console is performing as badly as the Xbone is.

its not rocket science and its common sense, look at destiny it could have been sony exclusive but activision and bungie got smart and realize the risk of doing that and they didnt accept and look they are doing better than expected....

Hopefully EA realize its mistake and make titanfall 2 multiplatform

The biggest issue for me was that the Australian servers were busted, and once they got worked out it turned out matchmaking was busted and barely worked.

I decided to wait until it got sorted out, then next thing I know it's 6 months later and I'd forgotten about the game (And now I probably can't compete as a Level 7 player)

Wait, you don't want to play something that feels like it was 10 years ago, but you do want to play new ww2 type fps like those from 10 years ago? Got it.

It's a cycle, when the "modern" wears off, there's a shift to old school.

I won't mind seeing a fantasy fps, not high sci-fi, but heavy fantasy grounded one.

Arrow's, sword fight, shields, blocking, etc. FPS style

The younger you are, the more you don't see, the older you are, like me, you see the patterns :)