Recommended Android Phone?

I have a Samsung S3 on Verizon. I live in California.

I am thinking of switching to MetroPCS despite them using Tmobiles network as I despise AT&T and I haven't heard great things about sprint. Also I would like to test the unlimited data at $60 even though it probably isn't what I think it is.

I was at some point going to get a Nexus so the 6, but it seems they made the price the same as other high end phones despite it being built towards a budget model for developers.

Samsung S5 seems nice but it has Touchwiz and so I know I will Cyanogen it since it would be easy (it isn't on the vs3), and it is also nearly the same price.

Any recommendations? My biggest concern is battery life, as I imagine most phones made recently have at least as much power as the S3, which is cutting it with everything I use.

I still like the instant OS upgrades of the NEXUS, but $650 is just way too much.

Also I notice there are deals on Luminas for like $29. If there is a Windows Phone that is super cheap right now I would also consider if it has good hardware.

Thanks

I am thinking of switching to MetroPCS despite them using Tmobiles network as I despise AT&T and I haven't heard great things about sprint. Also I would like to test the unlimited data at $60 even though it probably isn't what I think it is.

I was at some point going to get a Nexus so the 6, but it seems they made the price the same as other high end phones despite it being built towards a budget model for developers.

Samsung S5 seems nice but it has Touchwiz and so I know I will Cyanogen it since it would be easy (it isn't on the vs3), and it is also nearly the same price.

Any recommendations? My biggest concern is battery life, as I imagine most phones made recently have at least as much power as the S3, which is cutting it with everything I use.

I still like the instant OS upgrades of the NEXUS, but $650 is just way too much.

Also I notice there are deals on Luminas for like $29. If there is a Windows Phone that is super cheap right now I would also consider if it has good hardware.

Thanks

Small correction.  The Nexus 6 is not a budget anything.  That apparently stopped at the Nexus 5.

• Like 1

Thanks

you cannot just go from high end android phone to the most budget windows phone.   the experience AND performance are completely different. 

learning to use windows phone is a task, and even if you like to use it and think it is faster, you have to consider at least a mid-range or mid-to-top range model.   

a $29 deal, even on older phone, with get you a phone you will HATE to use, after S3 (which was a great phone!)

did you look into motorola offerings?   maybe moto x or moto g?    or possibly lg g2 if they still sell them?   htc one is great phone too, maybe you can find older model on sale?

http://www.expansys-usa.com/mobile-phones/brand/motorola/

http://www.expansys-usa.com/mobile-phones/brand/lg/

http://www.expansys-usa.com/mobile-phones/brand/htc/

how much are you willing to spend.   how powerful do you need it to be?    will you need 1080p or 720p is plenty?   

today, many midrange phones (moto g, lg g3 s, and such) offer the performance of yesteryear top of the line phones... so you might be better of with the compact / budget version of the flagship!

forgot sony (great waterproofing and design)

http://www.expansys-usa.com/mobile-phones/brand/sony/

only you can decide what you want, but this is good pricing overview, and you can read model reviews yourself. 

but i would seriously recommend researching moto x and moto g first.

you cannot just go from high end android phone to the most budget windows phone.   the experience AND performance are completely different. 

learning to use windows phone is a task, and even if you like to use it and think it is faster, you have to consider at least a mid-range or mid-to-top range model.    a $29 deal, even on old phone, with get you a phone you will HATE to use, after S3 (which was a great phone!)

did you look into motorola offerings?   maybe moto x or moto g?    or possibly lg g2 if they still sell them?   htc one is great phone too, maybe you can find older model on sale?

True story, lasted less than 5 minutes on WP8, got a Nokia 65something, and I've used WP8 before but gotdang it;s freaking annoying and not good 

• Like 1

My commend on a $29 windows phone with good hardware was kinda mispoken, i more meant if something that cheap was happening I might buy it and use it till I find something I like better. But I realize now useless question.

I saw the NExus 5 was still getting good reviews. It has OS upgrades to current so that is good. 

As for the Sony and LG I will look into those thank you. I had thought sony stopped making cell phones (used to have one like 10 years ago).

I think about $4300$400 is my range. If I was going to spend more I would just get a nexus 6.

If any of those sony or lg that i find in those links arn't better hardware for same price then nexus 5 thats my choice. thank you

Throwing some suggestions out here:

HTC One M8

Motorola Moto X (2014)

Motoroal Moto G (2014) if you don't want to spend too much.

Here's the deal, if your going from a Galaxy to a Windows Phone.. then why are you spending 29 dollars? :(

Of course the experience will not be great, it will be "good enough", much better than the fragmented, unsupported, low-end Androids. However if you want to give WP a fair chance, spend the same or close to the same amount of money you would on a midrange or highend Android.

Personally after using an s3 and owning an s4... and the gapgate (which the s4 had and the s5 as well) im NEVER buying any samsung branded phone again, build quality is a deterrent and not to mention touchwiz is downright nasty and a resource hog...

LG and Nexus devices, all are which great devices, you also really cannot go wrong with any of the Motorola phones these days.  Even their Droid line is almost 100 stock and a getting better on updates.

And personally, steer clear of Samsung.  Touchwiz sucks and really ruins the experience.  I dont mind modded UIs, but Samsung takes it to far.

I'd probably go for another mid-end HTC (although an iPhone 5 would probably be first on my list, if you can still get them).

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your opinions.

I purchased the 2014 Moto X, and it is amazing. Had Lolipop the moment I hit software update too.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your opinions.

I purchased the 2014 Moto X, and it is amazing. Had Lolipop the moment I hit software update too.

I'd love to hear more about it, I'm flipping between a Nexus 6 and going for the Moto X atm.

I'd love to hear more about it, I'm flipping between a Nexus 6 and going for the Moto X atm.

I haven't used a Nexus 6 so I can't compare.

But I have had the Samsung phones which excluding the TouchWiz they have a lot of polish.

The Moto X 2014 feels way more sold, feels great in my hand, where as the Galaxys I have had and the note 3 a housemate has don't feel great to me anymore when go back to holding one in my hand. The weight and texture to the phone are far superior as well as build quality in my opinion.

Motarola has some sort of software running on top of Loolipop that is for notifications that weks very very well. They also have other software that I haven't explored but seems useful when I saw it for a moment. Unlike Samsung where want to uninstall everything they put on it, I didn't remove a thing from my Moto X except use a different launcher since nothing can beat Nova Launcher.

WIsh i could of compared to a nexus but never even seen one in person

I haven't used a Nexus 6 so I can't compare.

But I have had the Samsung phones which excluding the TouchWiz they have a lot of polish.

The Moto X 2014 feels way more sold, feels great in my hand, where as the Galaxys I have had and the note 3 a housemate has don't feel great to me anymore when go back to holding one in my hand. The weight and texture to the phone are far superior as well as build quality in my opinion.

Motarola has some sort of software running on top of Loolipop that is for notifications that weks very very well. They also have other software that I haven't explored but seems useful when I saw it for a moment. Unlike Samsung where want to uninstall everything they put on it, I didn't remove a thing from my Moto X except use a different launcher since nothing can beat Nova Launcher.

WIsh i could of compared to a nexus but never even seen one in person

Thanks,

A friend of mine just ordered his Nexus 6 so I should get to take a look this week. I own the Nexus 4 so I have an idea of what to expect software wise and in an ideal world this is the phone I'd choose, if not for the phablet size of it.

Give me something N4 sized but with N6 specs or at least as close as possible and then I'm a happy man, the closest thing I can currently see is the Moto X which essentially is, a smaller N6.

Personally, I'm an iPhone person all the way. But if I had to go Android, it would be the OnePlus One all the way for me. High end phone with a mid range price.