Do I really need antivirus?

Antivirus is a reality when using Windows, even modern versions. I have seen the same annoying shortcut virus that wreaks havoc on a fully updated Windows XP SP3 system do the same on Windows 8.1 Pro with Update 1 64 bit fully updated. Windows even using standard security options, is still susceptible unless you turn on certain security functions such as Group Policy, secpol.msc, turn off Windows scripting (which is difficult in more modern releases of Windows). Thats probably the only way I have managed to lock down a Windows system to a point where its a toughy for malware. At the same time, its a trade off, making Windows feel like UNIX. Please note, this is for novice users who are using client machines for my personal system, I don't really do so much locking down, but I still make sure the system is kept updated and use and Antivirus utility.

Recently my SSD died and I restored a 3 year old Windows 7 Professional image, I said forget it and just setup a partition with Windows 10 TP 64 bit. No way in hell am I going to waste my metered bandwidth downloading 3 years of Windows Updates.

• Like 2

Totally wrong. Neowin could totally serve up a virus if they were hacked and bad code was put on the website or a malicious ad provider stuck in an Ad with an exploit on it. Happens all the time to other legit sites, heck I think Yahoo had a bad ad and infected 200,000 machines. or was it 2 million?

I don't know! But just saying, some people are so conscious about security that they would install this AV and that IS and this malware and that spyware, ending up hogging their PC's and then posting on neowin how to make their PC faster :D

By the sounds of it, you don't have much to worry about. You've covered most bases with good practises as far as I can see. I suppose worst case scenario, you could run an online scan like TrendMicro's housecall once in a while to be safe. It doesn't install anything permanent on the system, and you can delete the executable when it's finished scanning. Oh, and I agree about Windows Defender, it thrashes the disk a lot and hogs resources.

Antiviruses rarely catch malware served by hacked websites (usually those malwares are kept continuously updated to avoid detection) and most Antiviruses are just cashing in on people's fear while being ineffective at blocking web-vectored attacks. If you disable all unneeded plugins and always make sure the ones you need are updated (except Java, Java is a security blackhole and should never be kept enabled) you should be fine. Anyway if you have to ask for this on a forum you likely do need an AV, when you'll have learned enough to do without you'll know (and also you'll know jujitsu, how to fly and how to stop the machine civilization from attacking).

No you dont need anything else. Even tho Windows defender or MSSE may not be the best. At least they dont crash like the 3rd party programs

I've never installed any 3rd party program and its been fine. I avoid programs like chrome this thing is like a malware magnet

Considering you've neutered your internet "experience" to uselessness and would be better off using a text only browser, sure why not, don't use an AV 

Just curious, how is using blockers and employing other security measures neutering the "experience" considering the site still works, and typically faster with less annoyances while it's at it?

• Like 2

Look at it this way - the users who do not install an antivirus program are our best customers. They make sure we do not run out of work - and fun.

• Like 3

I think for the typical computer user, AV is a must.  We all know stupidity is the problem computers cant patch. 

For the power user, is an AV a necessity ?  No.
I use webroot Secure Anywhere, but just the plain vanilla AV pkg.  tiny & fast - and it catches things when I let my guard down.

The last time I ran mbam it said "You have not updated in 450 days"  I had to laugh because the only reason I ran it was just to be sure, I wasnt experiencing any problems.

It sounds like the OP has gone to great lengths - I guess he spends a lot more time in unsavory places than I do.  Because I dont do any of those steps he mentioned, other than Ad-block.