Why Do People Buy iPhones?

/face palm

It's their decision... Not yours. We have options for everything...

Even the cars, houses, etc... that we make some changes to the way we like...

Where did you see the claim that I was making this decision for them? I was simply saying what is factual truth.... all most 100% of all buyers will NOT install a custom rom or jailbreak or do anything the masses don't see as necessary. This is not me saying it, I am saying only what the market shows.

People buy ###### they like to use?

As overpriced as I think Apple devices are, and as much as an Android fanboy as I am, others just want something different from me. Besides Androids openness, I'd take Apple software (Mac included) over Windows and Android any day.

No one optimizes like Apple. Windows especially has been a ######ing mess since Windows 8. MS have no clear goals or targets other than LETS MAKE A DESKTOP PC RUN LIKE A TABLET LOL.

The out of box experience simply hasn't been matched by android or windows phone, yet... heck... there's no free equivalent for iBooks yet,  i HATE  having to look for apps that should be included by default.

Years ago people would say, when you buy a mac, you buy a $900 operating system and $100 of hardware. I think the same applies to iphone...

For the record, iPhone 3Gs, 4, then switched to galaxy S4 and now Lg G3... (Hate how locked in music wise apple is...)

Really? I've never owned an iphone myself (and neither has anyone in my immediate family) but I have a friend who gave his grandmother his old iphone when he last upgraded and over a year later and she is the only one (in his family) with an iphone and the only one who still has trouble using their smartphone.

That being said the reason I don't buy iphones is because I have never had problems with my Android phones and past experience with mac leaves me leaning away from Apple products (less flexibility in software mostly).

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. OP asked, I gave my reasons.

Where did you see the claim that I was making this decision for them? I was simply saying what is factual truth.... all most 100% of all buyers will NOT install a custom rom or jailbreak or do anything the masses don't see as necessary. This is not me saying it, I am saying only what the market shows.

That is because you might have not seen anyone with jailbroken devices.... or they have not told you yet ... which is why you think they have official devices...

If it was me, I don't give a damn about what people think about my devices no matter if they are jailbroken or rooted. I don't even care what you do with yours.

Apple is really closed minded about the locked down OS...  That's the reason that Android is winning because of customization and more features...  and the widgets.

Nice quality handset, excellent ecosystem and excellent interoperability with the other products from the vendor (Apple TV, Mac, etc), arguably the primary platform for any developer or vendor wanting to release an application or accessory for a smartphone, good battery life, good resale value of the old hardware when it's upgrade time, and I'm sure the 'status symbol' aspect is important amongst some groups of people. 

I have an iPhone for work, and an Android phone for myself. I prefer Android - I find iOS not particularly attractive and the on screen keyboard always gives me grief for some reason. But I am objective enough to be able to list advantages at least as I see them. 

• Like 1

That is because you might have not seen anyone with jailbroken devices.... or they have not told you yet ... which is why you think they have official devices...

If it was me, I don't give a damn about what people think about my devices no matter if they are jailbroken or rooted. I don't even care what you do with yours.

Apple is really closed minded about the locked down OS...  That's the reason that Android is winning because of customization and more features...  and the widgets.

I am in the cellular business part time. May I ask you a question: since you are disagreeing with my statement of most people don't jailbreak and/or install custom roms,  are you claiming most people DO jail breaking and/or install custom roms?

I am in the cellular business part time. May I ask you a question: since you are disagreeing with my statement of most people don't jailbreak and/or install custom roms,  are you claiming most people DO jail breaking and/or install custom roms?

Hahah.. you are in the retail...  you see WHY!

I believe people jailbreak theirs...  but I did not say "ALL" people.. 

Like I said they change to their liking.. as long as it works ... if not, they take it back and get Android/BB/WP instead.

You don't need ROM for Apple devices... only Android.. which you can change ROMs on Android if you like.

S5 is a great phone. You should have kept it... You can take bloat crap out of Android phone... and act like 'clean' phone.  or you can get rid of stock ROM and install custom ROM so it doesn't have bloat...

I do this every time I get a new phone. 

Whereas this may be true, I have a S4, put Cyanogenmod on it, and I can no longer use Sky apps or my Barclays banking app, which kinda sucks for me.

to almost all buyers, this seems like an unnecessary hassle.

to almost all buyers, this isn't a hassle they even care about.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. OP asked, I gave my reasons.

Actually it's fact that my friends grandmother has trouble using her iphone (while the rest of the family, who do not use iphones, do not have trouble), not my opinion.

As I said, I've never owned one myself but personally wouldn't recommend them even for older people. My response to your quoted post was not my opinion, only the second half of my post was my opinion, which was a response to the thread, not to you.

Whereas this may be true, I have a S4, put Cyanogenmod on it, and I can no longer use Sky apps or my Barclays banking app, which kinda sucks for me.

I don't trust banking or any personal apps on mobile devices.  It is me.

They can send me a text or email if something is wrong on my bank account.

Apple control's the hardware, and the software so they have a tighter experience.

Apple does care about usability, and functionality, and with the above situation, do deliver a good consistent experience.

On the flip side, there more expensive, and in some social circles, idevices are considered status symbols which adds a bunch of stuff that makes no sense from a technology perspective, but is a real factor. They also aren't afriad to just change things, and with them locking stuff down, your at there will.

Not as much as a factor now, but Steve Job's arrogance, and apple refusal to admit when something wrong, and the small rabid apple fans can be a big turn off as well.

Because of the price, and there desire to micromanage / lock down, I prefer Android.

That's not to say idevices are bad, but the reason's why I don't get an iphone or ipad.

Using the 4.4.4 M# Series, ore the 4.2.x Stable ?

• Like 1

My first smartphone was an Android device back in 2010, and I used to exclusively use Android for the most part (WP here and there), but I switched to iOS early this year. I see the pros and cons of both Android and iOS ecosystems. Microsoft just isn't there yet. Anyways, iOS is simple, easy to use, has the best support (both from Apple, and other devs.), tightest integration of any ecosystem, and fairly easy updates to major releases. With Android, I love the customization and options in devices, but you do get a lot of bloat with certain devices (*cough Samsung's Touchwiz *cough). Updates on Android are getting better - lot of manufacturers have stepped up their game. I'm just glad there are plenty of choices in OS, and devices. Pick what suits you, and use it! 

Actually it's fact that my friends grandmother has trouble using her iphone (while the rest of the family, who do not use iphones, do not have trouble), not my opinion.

As I said, I've never owned one myself but personally wouldn't recommend them even for older people. My response to your quoted post was not my opinion, only the second half of my post was my opinion, which was a response to the thread, not to you.

I'm not sure that qualifies as a fact, fair enough your friend's grandmother has problems using it, but that is not a reflection of consumers as a whole. I even took the time to briefly explain why I wouldn't get one.

My relatives have had not much bad to say about the phones I've recommended (in fact, they haven't had anything bad to say about them), therefore I felt confident in my reply to OP. And for the second part of your post, it would have been less confusing had you used two posts, or first stated that before quoting me. As it stands, my previous reply still applies.

• Like 1

Have had a number of iPhones/Windows Phone and Andriods and i always enjoy the iPhone the most. I think its cause it works there are no issues, updates get released each year. Also now i have an mac and iPad, the echo system is great.

Because Apple does a great great great great job at marketing it's phone and making it look amazing. And it's even easier for Apple to market, when you have the previous version of the iPhone. 

Hahah.. you are in the retail...  you see WHY!

I believe people jailbreak theirs...  but I did not say "ALL" people.. 

Like I said they change to their liking.. as long as it works ... if not, they take it back and get Android/BB/WP instead.

You don't need ROM for Apple devices... only Android.. which you can change ROMs on Android if you like.

you didn't answer his question. why is him "potentially" being in retail funny? it gives him far better grounds to support his claims than just about any other person.

and yeah, most android users don't even know they can flash. most don't even change the apps on their launcher, much less change launchers. most users just launch apps directly.

some percentage of users who fall into the "tech interested" category will customize their devices and even change launchers, and some techies will flash custom roms. But you'll find that even a lot of techies never do much, especially changing roms, those who do are generally the ones who aren't happy with what they bought or with future support down the line.

she would have just as much if not more trouble with any other smartphone as well. that's why over here we have a Swedish phone brand "Doro" that specifically caters to that group. though they do have a smartphone series as well, but it's not their big seller, more for younger people with vision issues or other handicaps like bad hearing or muscle issues making it hard for them to use their fingers.

• Like 1

I don't trust banking or any personal apps on mobile devices.  It is me.

They can send me a text or email if something is wrong on my bank account.

bank apps are probably one of the most used apps, I don't have a bank app on my phone yet since they don't support my platform yet. but I use the excellent mobile web bank all the time to check balance and move money between accounts. I could pay bills on it as well, but it's kinda messy with all the numbers. The apps only allow you to move money between your accounts and authorized accounts (like my GF is authorized on most of my accounts and can see and transfer to/from them).

• Like 2

People used to buy them to look 'in' or hip or 'upscale' but since hicks in the sticks even have mac book pros and iPhones the brand is not longer associated with style and upscale.

bank apps are probably one of the most used apps, I don't have a bank app on my phone yet since they don't support my platform yet. but I use the excellent mobile web bank all the time to check balance and move money between accounts. I could pay bills on it as well, but it's kinda messy with all the numbers. The apps only allow you to move money between your accounts and authorized accounts (like my GF is authorized on most of my accounts and can see and transfer to/from them).

Mostly quoted out of agreememt, mobile bamking apps are quite convenient Shoz,

I'm sure more authentication could be added, there's room for improvement in all aspects of mobile devices..

I personally like the fact that I can check to make sure my account is fine on those occasions when I get spam emails saying my account has been locked etc..

I know it is most used app but like I said it is me that I am not using it on my mobile devices.  You can use it.. that's fine.. I am not forcing you to get off..  it's your decision.

Mostly quoted out of agreememt, mobile bamking apps are quite convenient Shoz,

I'm sure more authentication could be added, there's room for improvement in all aspects of mobile devices..

I personally like the fact that I can check to make sure my account is fine on those occasions when I get spam emails saying my account has been locked etc..

Yeah  I know it's convenient. Like I said it is me that I am not using it on my devices. I get the notifications from my account through email or text. 

If I am on the road, I can go to nearby ATM to see the balance. If I am home, I can check on here or call the bank to see what's up if they want me to call them.