Why Do People Buy iPhones?

The best thing iPhone has on Android are OS updates. Unless you are on a Nexus device, it's usually several months or longer before your phone will get the latest OS.

• Like 3

I personally like the iPhone. I have had both and can say that I do like the iPhone os better. While you can customize the droid phone's more, I do not. Stock for stock the Apple os id's better imo. I hate, hate, hate my galaxy s4. If it weren't for the screen size I would have gone back to an iphone 4. I throw the galaxy s4 daily in hopes that it will just die (otterbox keeps it from damage and death)

• Like 1

Ive tried iPhone 4 and 5, and there was absolutely nothing I liked about them,

in fact, it just made me wonder how people even like them at all, and use something with such a tiny screen.

I haven't even seen an iPhone 6, and with the bigger screens, it may be a tad better,

but I still didn't like the looks of any of the OS versions and functionality of menus etc. etc. I found to suck very much.

But I do recommend them for people that aren't very tech savvy, or want to do very much other than text, chat, and play a few games.

• Like 1

Well back to the original topic..

I have an iPhone 6, just upgraded from my 4S. I've used Android, and BB before.. have played a little with WP but not much since, well lets be honest, almost no one has it lol.

If you want to tweak, and do all kinds of custom stuff, then Android is where you want to be.

If you want the cheapest smartphone, then Android is where you want to be.

If neither of those are motivating factors, then the iPhone is if not the best choice, it's among the top.

As the old Mac saying, it just Works.

When I got my first iPhone, I jailbroke it, installed a bunch of tweaking apps, made changes.. one day there was an OS update, and when it was done, I didn't bother doing it again.. Sure if that's your personalty to tweak things then Android is right for you, but if you want a phone that works, well, and you don't want to change every little thing, then it's great. It's hardware and OS are optimized for it, making it perform as well or better than the "more powerful" Android phones out there. Add to that, because iOS is the bread and butter of most app developers, the apps released there are often of much higher quality than their Android or WP counterparts. (Makes sense, when most of their $$$ comes there, they spend the most time optimizing it to work the best).

It has great support, not just the day it's released, but Apple supports their products with updates for years. Even the most direhard Android fan has if not experienced, then seen a phones support die off after a year and not get new updates.. leaving the user to either rely on the Community or be SOL. (Though they do have a community.. The fact my HP TouchPad runs Android now proves that lol)

It has great quality. People can complain about "bendgate" and such all they want, I know far more people who have had to RMA their Android phone than their iPhones. Add to that Apple is often rated as having one of the best customer service ratings, and there's a reason for that. 

Not saying one is better than the other.. In fact it's harder than that.. it's like comparing Mac to PC.. One is a single monolith, the other has a thousand variations (and qualities).. It depends on what you like to do, and which one you are looking at.

Oh and as for the size comment above.. I have a (normal) iPhone 6, and love the size. I still like the size of my 4S. I have no interest in a 6+, or a Note, or any other Huge phone. Above all, a Phone is something I can slip in my pocket and take wherever I want to go. Huge phones are just annoying to have in those cases imho. Though to each their own. Simple fact is I'd go back to my 4S/3GS before I'd go to a Note or something, just because of size alone.

• Like 1

LG G3 is by far my favorite Android phone at the moment.

+2

I personally like the iPhone. I have had both and can say that I do like the iPhone os better. While you can customize the droid phone's more, I do not. Stock for stock the Apple os id's better imo. I hate, hate, hate my galaxy s4. If it weren't for the screen size I would have gone back to an iphone 4. I throw the galaxy s4 daily in hopes that it will just die (otterbox keeps it from damage and death)

Aye... I gave away my s4... ###### PoS exynos octacrap... GapGate, CameraGate and all the gates you can have with samsung, no to mention out of box worst hand  memory hog touchcrapwiz... I have now been given a trend duos or something like that for work, christ it is an abomination on touchwiz... how does anyone in quality control let touchwiz go on such low speced phones!!! Please samsung hire someone with a brain!

The best thing iPhone has on Android are OS updates. Unless you are on a Nexus device, it's usually several months or longer before your phone will get the latest OS.

aye, this is the android curse... Imagine if a 0 day flaw were  discovered on android, it would take weeks for a complete roll out... Come to think of it, that would be something it has going for it :laugh: fragmentation. 

I'm an Android user for phone, iPad tablet, Macbook air, Windows desktop user.

I wanted to switch to the 6 plus, and didn't because it was really slippery in hand and missed a few android features I loved.  That being said, I have a note 4 now and the period lags on it are intolerable.  iPhones are the fastest phones in general use and many benchmarks.  Best gaming experience for mobile if you do that, and simply work the best.

Would I switch given a choice, yes, because the Note 4 has some bad touchwiz issues and there are no custom roms yet(Hoping AOSP comes fast).  When I use my iPad, 'waiting' is never a problem.

I'm an Android user for phone, iPad tablet, Macbook air, Windows desktop user.

I wanted to switch to the 6 plus, and didn't because it was really slippery in hand and missed a few android features I loved.  That being said, I have a note 4 now and the period lags on it are intolerable.  iPhones are the fastest phones in general use and many benchmarks.  Best gaming experience for mobile if you do that, and simply work the best.

Would I switch given a choice, yes, because the Note 4 has some bad touchwiz issues and there are no custom roms yet(Hoping AOSP comes fast).  When I use my iPad, 'waiting' is never a problem.

Aye as I said in my previous posts... the only liveable way samsung is with custom rom, touchwiz is such a deterrent... that said performance wise in game should be the same at least...

After having owned a galaxy s4, I can now understand why people always complain about "viruses" make their android slow... would you know it, that virus is called touchwiz... the sad thing is, samsung is everywhere... they are shipping that terrible user experience to every one and every one is under the impression that every android phone is the same...

Yep!  In 2014 with quad cores, Android still lags!  I see my coworker who I sold my Nexus 5 to, never lagging at anything on Android L, and Samsung still doesn't get the message about TouchWiz.

Aye as I said in my previous posts... the only liveable way samsung is with custom rom, touchwiz is such a deterrent... that said performance wise in game should be the same at least...

After having owned a galaxy s4, I can now understand why people always complain about "viruses" make their android slow... would you know it, that virus is called touchwiz... the sad thing is, samsung is everywhere... they are shipping that terrible user experience to every one and every one is under the impression that every android phone is the same...

• Like 1

I actually prefer touchwiz. Stock android is pretty bad IMO. Once you root and remove the crap, it runs well. I also get amazing battery life on my Note 3.

I actually prefer touchwiz. Stock android is pretty bad IMO. Once you root and remove the crap, it runs well. I also get amazing battery life on my Note 3.

To each his own. Just a few days ago, my coworker unboxed & setup his Note 4, and good God, the lag... It amazes me that this was stock, and OOTB experience, and it wasn't any better a few days after. I have no idea how people put up with what I refer to as garbage (Touchwiz). It adds way too many unnecessary features, and it makes the phone slower overall. That paired with Samsung's lackluster build quality and a boring design = I have no idea why people buy Samsung phones. Nexus phones are also meh - build quality is boring, no removable battery or microSD slot, poor camera, but you get the fast updates. After ICS, stock Android became far better (compared to 2.x). 

If you're going to go with a manufacturer branded phone, it's best to stick with either GPE devices or a manufacturer whose skin is not heavy - Motorola, HTC's sense or Sony (haven't personally used, but many say it's not intrusive like Touchwiz). The way I see it is give me a baseline to work with (stock Android), and I'll add the features (apps) that I want, rather than giving me 1035 features I may or may not use (cough Touchwiz cough). 

• Like 1

I hope it hit them too!

It had to cause some damage.  I was QB in high school and was mad as hell and threw it with everything I had.

Something else, I dont regret it one bit.  I hope they walk out to their car everyday - stare at the big dent and remember not to haul ass in parking lots where people & pets are.  ( I was walking from my car to the groomer's)

No one optimizes like Apple.

Look at it this way. Apple optimises for a few dozen hardware pieces per year. The Linux and Windows boys optimise for hundreds of thousands of devices. Who are making the better job?

To each his own. Just a few days ago, my coworker unboxed & setup his Note 4, and good God, the lag... It amazes me that this was stock, and OOTB experience, and it wasn't any better a few days after. I have no idea how people put up with what I refer to as garbage (Touchwiz). It adds way too many unnecessary features, and it makes the phone slower overall. That paired with Samsung's lackluster build quality and a boring design = I have no idea why people buy Samsung phones. Nexus phones are also meh - build quality is boring, no removable battery or microSD slot, poor camera, but you get the fast updates. After ICS, stock Android became far better (compared to 2.x). 

I agree with the crap they put in but I don't get what people say about lag. Even out of the box, Note 3 and friends S5 have never lagged. And run well. Put on a custom launcher and it runs even better.

The one thing i like about touchwiz is the settings panel and notification panel. For instance on lollipop, the toggles are HUGE and take up almost half the screen while touchwiz puts them in a scrollable and toggleable panel. If I could get stock like that I'd go to stock since the rom is so much lighter.

• Like 1

Android - Simple to use, many more options, great customization, a true power user's type of device,  open ecosystem, even with the obvious drawbacks, still the better option 

Yeah this is what draws me to use Android, no one can lock me down to how I should use it. That and android development is off the charts.

I agree with the crap they put in but I don't get what people say about lag. Even out of the box, Note 3 and friends S5 have never lagged. And run well. Put on a custom launcher and it runs even better.

The one thing i like about touchwiz is the settings panel and notification panel. For instance on lollipop, the toggles are HUGE and take up almost half the screen while touchwiz puts them in a scrollable and toggleable panel. If I could get stock like that I'd go to stock since the rom is so much lighter.

If you're going to go with a manufacturer branded phone, it's best to stick with either GPE devices or a manufacturer whose skin is not heavy - Motorola, HTC's sense or Sony (haven't personally used, but many say it's not intrusive like Touchwiz). The way I see it is give me a baseline to work with (stock Android), and I'll add the features (apps) that I want, rather than giving me 1035 features I may or may not use (cough Touchwiz cough). 

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but the raw numbers of people complaining about touchwiz lag is 100x greater than those who prefer it. IMO on my galaxy s4, if you installed a custom launcher, but left touchwiz (top bar toggles and whatever else) it rapes your battery life, you don't notice it on the note 3 because it is a bigger battery. You should try  a custom rom and see how the battery life really comes to life after removing samsung crap

Yep!  In 2014 with quad cores, Android still lags!  I see my coworker who I sold my Nexus 5 to, never lagging at anything on Android L, and Samsung still doesn't get the message about TouchWiz.

aye... indeed, the problem is, markets are flooded with cheap samsungs... and cheap samsungs = horrible user experience (well high end as well)

fragmentation.

Yknow, I still hear this dead horse being flogged, what fragmentation? I've had a couple of new flagship android devices in as many months, just to see how brand x uses the OS. And I've used old devices still running on gingerbread, and for the hardware it's on, it still works...

Back on topic another user mentioned the update system (posting from my phone so don't have the patience to quote said user) and that user does indeed have a point, as tue apple devices are 'standardised' a 'one size fits all update' is convenient. I would suppose if all android devices ran stock untouched android OS, then one could be forgiven for thinking they could do the same thing...

Strange how the OP hasn't replied to this thread yet, is it not?

.... Or requested it closed if his question has been answered... :shiftyninja:
  • Like 1

.... Or requested it closed if his question has been answered... :shiftyninja:

... or maybe the answers aren't the ones he was looking for.

• Like 2

... or maybe the answers aren't the ones he was looking for.

lol man, the image in my head as you said that was of Obi Wan, 'these aren't the 'droids' you are looking for..'

I've used the three main mobile operating systems, and here's my tuppence (in order that I've owned them)

iOS - Very polished and extremely easy to use. Decent features. Excellent range of apps/games.

Windows Phone - Could be better, but looks nice. Missing some major features. Range of apps/games is poor.

Android - Polished OS, easy to use. Excellent features. Good range of apps/games.

I currently own an Android phone, and wouldn't buy an iPhone because it costs too much. However if I could afford one, I would have one. Purely because its very nice to use.

I have no idea why people buy Samsung phones. Nexus phones are also meh - build quality is boring, no removable battery or microSD slot...

To be fair though, the iPhone doesn't have these either.

But then...

1) Removable Battery

I have never noticed a considerable problem with the battery that has come with any phone?  My phones usually last two days or so between charges so perhaps as I'm not someone who needs to charge every night, my battery copes better?

Not having a removable battery is not something that puts me off a phone.

2) Memory Card Slot

After working out that many, many apps couldn't be installed or moved to the SD card on my HTC Desire, I stopped understanding why they were important.  I don't have my entire music collection on my phone as I don't do anything that allows me to play music (my walk from the car to work is less than a minute, radio in car or mp3 CD).  I don't watch movies or tv series on phones (the screens are tiny!) either.  Memory for me is taken up with apps and photos.  I'm not snap happy but the photos I take do give a good blog of my life I guess.

I bought the 16Gb iPhones as I couldn't afford bigger.

Am I totally happy?  No.  The 64Gb would have been much nicer.  Am I worried?  No.  Partner's Android is 16Gb anyway and isn't even half full.  Mine is 32Gb but not even half full, so I am sure we'll both cope with 16Gb fine.

Strange how the OP hasn't replied to this thread yet, is it not?

I also wonder if there is a bit of a placebo effect with Android and loadings ROMs - "it's made it better/faster/a condiment dispenser" - but have YOU really tested it on that device?
On a side note to that, I set up three identical laptops the other day.  One didn't install some of the first-boot setup bloat that the other two did so just because one phone runs better using a different ROM, doesn't mean they all will.
Plus, I want a phone to use, not constantly put different ROMs on it :P
  • Like 1

Yknow, I still hear this dead horse being flogged, what fragmentation? I've had a couple of new flagship android devices in as many months, just to see how brand x uses the OS. And I've used old devices still running on gingerbread, and for the hardware it's on, it still works...

Well, let me put it yu this way, I got a  Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus GT-S7580 L for work, hardly flagship material I know, it is still on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, But I digress, my point was if a 0 day exploit was discovered on Lollipop, due to fragmentation, older users would probably be ok :laugh:

Now figure this scenario, you buy an iphone 5c, reportedly being discontinued, it WILL immediately upgrade itself to the latest OS iteration after activation if not before ( not sure how apple activation works in this regard). Now, do you think the GT-S7580L I got from work upgraded itself to lollipop?

Id say because of the music and app store plus warranty. Apple is ahead with that and the os is better than Andorid

Valid opinion.