Windows 10 now or wait ... ?

I am building a new desktop PC.

Would you install Windows 10 now on a new computer ?

Or should I stick with Windows 7 until 10 is RTM ?

I want to be able to use my new machine without major problems.

Yes -- I have an old desktop and Win 7 laptop to fall back on.

Thoughts appreciated. ;)

Personally, no.  It's going to change a lot between now and then, never mind potential issues, bugs etc that are very likely to crop up.. and since you want no major problems, an alpha isn't the best of ideas, at the very least wait for the CP.  I'd just go with 7 or 8.1 until then and enjoy a stable system. 

• Like 3

The current versions of Windows 10 won't be very stable until the first Consumer Preview, it's called a Technical Preview for a reason :p and in my experience still quite buggy. I use Windows 8.1 for day-to-day work for this reason.

I'm using 10 as my daily driver, and I would stick with 8.1 until consumer preview.

I'm happy to work through the bugs, but it's not always easy. I've not installed it on my work device because I don't believe it's reliable enough yet.

Lastly, DreadPirateRoberts.. Seriously..

I'll resubscribe to Neowin if you guys introduce a down vote functionality so we can ######-tank retarded comments like that..

I've had numerous problems with the latest build, including Windows updates that prevent the computer from booting. That hasn't stopped me using it as my primary operating system?and I prefer it to Windows 8.1?but you have to accept that there will be problems.

The current versions of Windows 10 won't be very stable until the first Consumer Preview, it's called a Technical Preview for a reason :p and in my experience still quite buggy. I use Windows 8.1 for day-to-day work for this reason.

There might not be a Consumer Preview, Steven, from what I heard, MJF is probably right, the next release could be named Jan(or whatever) Tech Preview. :)

To answer the original post: CERTAINLY NOT.

Can some one please, please explain to me why on Earth people are actually serious about installing these current Win10 builds for actual use?

Usually this isn't even remotely close to a good idea until at least Release Candidate.. and this ISN'T EVEN BETA yet!

Just because Microsoft have changed the way they handle early testing, certainly doesn't change for one minute that these are alpha builds.

I don't want to be condescending here, but seriously: If you don't understand the OS development process, you really shouldn't be messing with this stuff.

• Like 3

Technically the preview builds now are kinda like an Alpha version, when we get to CP it will be like the beta... and at this point with so many parts moving different directions at once and pieces still not integrated... it's just a tech toy to play with and see what it does when you poke it

I've been using it at my main OS on my desktop and haven't ran into many issues but I know it will be buggy and unstable, still on 8.1 on my Pro 2. The only issue I've had is occasionally I'll have to restart the Windows Explorer service because my icons will disappear. But then again I have no problems testing an operating system like I would normally use a released one.

Personally I'd wait - it is still very much pre-beta and given the changes that have taken place or yet to take place you'd be better off putting Windows 10 on a secondary machine that you can muck around with but keep your new machine running Windows 7 (or Windows 8.1 for that matter) until things become more stable around release candidate time.

Just from a security point of view, I would certainly wait until the consumer previews or final builds. If you want to try it, use a VM or a second PC.

Who knows what's left open/enabled from a debug/report point of view and ripe for slurping.

Everyone here knows how much I hate Windows 8.. But, now, I love Windows 8.1.. When I use Windows 7, I feel like I'm using Windows XP again.. It took a lot of time for me to get use to Windows 8.1, but it's way worth it.. Also, Windows 8 works A LOT better in VMs than Windows 7 in a hyper-v business setup.. just FYI

• Like 2

Last part needed to complete new computer system arrives Friday.

Hard to make up my mind.

In my experience, if you do any gaming or use hard drives it's better to stick with a release OS and save some hassle.  The build upgrade dance alone on an HD is enough to drive one mad, if one wasn't already.

I do fully intend to install the Consumer Preview as I had an overall positive experience with the technical previews, it just wasn't overall worth it.

This is a strange question to ask when Windows 10 is not out yet. Unless you fancy helping Microsoft out with their bugs, use an OS that they actually support.

They do support it. It gets the same security updates and I've had close to zero problems with it.

• Like 2

Last part needed to complete new computer system arrives Friday.

Hard to make up my mind.

I'd say dual boot if you are on the fence. That way you have something stable to fall back on just in case.

If you have to ask whether or not you should use a technical preview then you should probably wait.

Windows 8.1 is pretty good, or if you're absolutely against it, Windows 7 is fine too.

• Like 3

I personally wouldn't never install an alpha version as my main OS, however you could dual boot it with Windows 7 and then upgrade your Windows 10 partition every time a new build is released, which means you'll eventually reach the RTM without much effort. It also means that you can delete the Windows 7 partition once Windows 10 RTM is released.

Obviously you will probably have to pay for it as you with previous versions, but at least this time Microsoft is giving people the option to upgrade directly from alpha/beta versions.

• Like 2