Google Chrome Issues

Hello, I have recently been having issues with Google Chrome (v39.0.2171.71 m) on my home PC. When I search using the omnibar or even through https://www.google.co.uk/, I've been getting error messages. The issue does not affect Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 34.0.5. Naviagting to websites manually (typing the URL) works perfectly, it only appears to be affecting Google Search.

I performed a basic search for CutePDF and it displayed:

This webpage is not available

Hide details
The webpage at https://www.google.co.uk/search?&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=cutepdf&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.80642063,d.d24&ion=1&biw=1920&bih=955&ech=1ψ=X-6FVN--OceqUdWzhPAP.1418063454630.3&ei=X-6FVN--OceqUdWzhPAP&emsg=NCSR&noj=1 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error code: ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED

I have attached a screen shot of this and I've tried the following steps:

1) Downloaded and installed the latest version

2) Uninstalled Chrome completely and installed a clean version

3) Cleared all cache/temp data (including using CCleaner)

I do not have any extensions enabled (the only one that is installed is Google Docs, but that is disabled) and do not connect through a proxy (home network).

I am currently unsure what to do to resolve this issue. Please help!

post-395128-0-61452800-1418065120.png

One of the recurring things I found:

Check your anti-Virus webshield (or whatever its called in the av you use). 

Try turning off any AV software/Malware software running in the background, and disable any firewall software, including Windows, and test it.

Are you using any type of internet download manager also?

I haven't thought about my AV. I am using ESET NOD32, so I will test that over this coming weekend. I'd thought it would affect other browsers or at least pop up a dialogue box stating that it's blocked something (like it usually does if it blocks/stops anything).

One of the recurring things I found:

Check your anti-Virus webshield (or whatever its called in the av you use). 

Uninstalling/reinstalling still keeps your settings. Have you done

Settings -> Show Advanced Settings -> Reset Settings

?

I didn't realise it kept the settings, even if something like CCleaner was used. I will check this over the weekend.

I will report back with my results, thanks for the help. :)

Try turning off any AV software/Malware software running in the background, and disable any firewall software, including Windows, and test it.

Are you using any type of internet download manager also?

Uninstalling/reinstalling still keeps your settings. Have you done

Settings -> Show Advanced Settings -> Reset Settings

?

I have tried all of the above and it still isn't working. :(

• 2 months later...

Well as it turns out, Windows 8.1 decided that it wasn't going to play nice, so I ended up re-installing the OS. Which incidentally has resolved this mystery error!