Wish to purchase a console, recommendations please

The games I like to play steer me to a console.

With that said, Sony has been being hacked and screwed a lot lately.  If I had to choose, I would steer clear of them for now. 

In the future I'd like to get a PS4 to go with the Xbox One.  But definitely not right now.  They need to get their house in order.

I own all consoles from the last 2 gens except the Wii U.

(The Wii U could be great for father-daughter gaming, idk.)

I'd rather identify as a PC gamer...

That said, I'd recommend the PS4.

At this time, I'd rather sell my XB1 than turn it on.

The games I like to play steer me to a console.

With that said, Sony has been being hacked and screwed a lot lately.  If I had to choose, I would steer clear of them for now. 

No they haven't. They were DDOS'd ... just like Microsoft and Xbox Live.

I wish people would learn the difference between hacked and DDOS'd. Two completely different things.

No they haven't. They were DDOS'd ... just like Microsoft and Xbox Live.

I wish people would learn the difference between hacked and DDOS'd. Two completely different things.

Sony has been hacked.  This is well known and there is a front page article on it where aliases have been leaked...also, movies have been leaked.  Read a little and note, I didnt say PSN...I said SONY which PSN is a part of.  And wouldnt doubt things like this would and could spread to PSN. 

Sony has been having issues the past few years.  This isnt the first time they have been attacked.,

• Like 2

Sony has been hacked.  This is well known and there is a front page article on it where aliases have been leaked...also, movies have been leaked.  Read a little and note, I didnt say PSN...I said SONY which PSN is a part of.  And wouldnt doubt things like this would and could spread to PSN. 

Sony has been having issues the past few years.  This isnt the first time they have been attacked.,

Sony Computer Entertainment is a completely separate entity to Sony Pictures/TV/Mobile etc etc. Different network completely.

To suggest that as Sony have been hacked means that ALL of their services have been hacked is a little OTT. The PSN is fine, working fine and not in any danger.

If you are going to use Sony being hacked as a reason to not use their products, I do hope you don't use Microsoft, PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, Barclays and a whole host of other services. They too have been hacked (and by hacked I mean properly hacked, not just taken offline). 

• Like 3

Sony Computer Entertainment is a completely separate entity to Sony Pictures/TV/Mobile etc etc. Different network completely.

To suggest that as Sony have been hacked means that ALL of their services have been hacked is a little OTT. The PSN is fine, working fine and not in any danger.

I said Sony is having problems.  I didnt say that all there servers have been hacked or that PSN was hacked.  I said Sony in general is having a bunch of issues. 

So again, I said SONY has been hacked, SONY has issues, and I wouldnt doubt it would be carried over to PSN at sometimes the way things are going.  Especially with the families of Sony employees being threatened.

Lots of assumptions made there. You originally said due to these issues you'd steer clear of a PS4.

As I said above, I hope you cancel all your credit cards, your Microsoft accounts, PayPal, eBay, Google etc etc etc... nothing is safe. To suggest getting an Xbox One over PS4 because of this, when Microsoft themselves have been hacked, is a little crazy.

Each to our own I guess.

• Like 1

Lots of assumptions made there. You originally said due to these issues you'd steer clear of a PS4.

The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine. Period.  You dont like it, fine but dont assume I said something when clearly, I didnt.

No, I said steer clear of Sony because they are having lots of issues.  Never once mentioned PS4 and I was generalizing. 

the fact that sony pictures were hacked should have no effect on the choice of the console at all.  

completely different divisions of sony, and it is unlikely, even in the worse case scenario, that there will be even a slight effect on PS4 business (in this console generation of course - cannot foresee the future)

As others have suggested, don't ask for opinions on which is the best console to get.  Your going to get a lot of info that is based on personal opinions or issues that person has with a  company, not the value of the product itself.

So before you look at any other factors, look up the current game lineup for the WiiU, Xbox One, and PS4.   Next, look at any announced games that have not released yet.  Use this to eliminate any of the three consoles.  If you have series that you like alot and are exclusive to one console, that will help you narrow it down.  If you dont, or you have favorites on each console, then see if there are more games you want on any single console right now.

After that, if your a multiplayer fan, look at what your friend's are going to buy as help in narrowing it down.  If this is important to you, it could sway your choice quickly.

After you have ruled out the above, then you can look at all the other features these consoles offer and see if those features matter to you.  Does the bit of extra power that the ps4 offers matter to you as a hardcore pc gamer?  Does the extra entertainment options or Kinect's features on the Xbox One matter to you. or maybe your daughter?  Does the use of the WiiU's game pad matter to you?

Some people look for a console that can be used even when gaming is not on the agenda, especially when they don't have time to play as much as they use to, so that is when other entertainment features matter and make a console more valuable.  If your intersted in such features, then I would expand on what each console can do in that area.  Kinect, for example, is a feature that you wont hear much about from people around here as its not exactly popular, but you or your daughter might find value with it.  It works with motion based games like sports games of course, but it also has an extensive fitness program for anyone into that.  Then it adds a host of smaller features for interacting with the system via voice, facial recognition, extending controller battery life, etc, etc.  If none of that interests you, then disregard it, but if it does, then it adds a value beyond gaming. Each console offers some entertainment value outside of gaming, so if you want to hear more about that, I'll share it.

As others have suggested, don't ask for opinions on which is the best console to get.  Your going to get a lot of info that is based on personal opinions or issues that person has with a  company, not the value of the product itself.

So before you look at any other factors, look up the current game lineup for the WiiU, Xbox One, and PS4.   Next, look at any announced games that have not released yet.  Use this to eliminate any of the three consoles.  If you have series that you like alot and are exclusive to one console, that will help you narrow it down.  If you dont, or you have favorites on each console, then see if there are more games you want on any single console right now.

After that, if your a multiplayer fan, look at what your friend's are going to buy as help in narrowing it down.  If this is important to you, it could sway your choice quickly.

After you have ruled out the above, then you can look at all the other features these consoles offer and see if those features matter to you.  Does the bit of extra power that the ps4 offers matter to you as a hardcore pc gamer?  Does the extra entertainment options or Kinect's features on the Xbox One matter to you. or maybe your daughter?  Does the use of the WiiU's game pad matter to you?

Some people look for a console that can be used even when gaming is not on the agenda, especially when they don't have time to play as much as they use to, so that is when other entertainment features matter and make a console more valuable.  If your intersted in such features, then I would expand on what each console can do in that area.  Kinect, for example, is a feature that you wont hear much about from people around here as its not exactly popular, but you or your daughter might find value with it.  It works with motion based games like sports games of course, but it also has an extensive fitness program for anyone into that.  Then it adds a host of smaller features for interacting with the system via voice, facial recognition, extending controller battery life, etc, etc.  If none of that interests you, then disregard it, but if it does, then it adds a value beyond gaming. Each console offers some entertainment value outside of gaming, so if you want to hear more about that, I'll share it.

I agree, find the console that best suits you and your family.

The PS4 and Xbox One are quite similar in terms of features, specs and majority of games while the Wii U is a bit more different.

Try them out in store, look at the games available on each and have fun with your choice.

I don't have either next gen console but if you are buying now (or until end of the year) - XB1 is the best bang for your buck.

I don't have either next gen console but if you are buying now (or until end of the year) - XB1 is the best bang for your buck.

Depends what he wants from a console. If he wants the better performance, better graphics and better features of ps+ then an Xbox one isn't best bang. Seeing as both the Xbox and ps4 can be bought for the same price I can't see how the Xbox is best value?

As for not putting your credit card details on the psn, why? Do you put your credit or debit card details on other sites? If you do, the psn is no different.

Go where the games go and / or the majority of your firends play on.

I prefer the PS4 over the Xone, but both are soild game systems.

I do like PS4 hard drive upgrade with any standard 2.5" hard drive.

I perfer the ps4 controller design over the X1.

Xbox has a lot of good games that are age appropriate. Like what was said before the controller is very comfortable and will work with your PC without hassle if you choose to. Like everyone else is saying that it comes down to games. One advantage the Xbox One has is the media functionality which I personally use all the time with my DLNA server. If you are into FPS games you should try Halo sometime. Also if you buy soon the Xbox One is priced a bit better currently but probably wont last much longer.

Depends what he wants from a console. If he wants the better performance, better graphics and better features of ps+ then an Xbox one isn't best bang. Seeing as both the Xbox and ps4 can be bought for the same price I can't see how the Xbox is best value?

As for not putting your credit card details on the psn, why? Do you put your credit or debit card details on other sites? If you do, the psn is no different.

Opinions..how do they work? :)

So here is me explaining my opinion.

I think right now Xbox has more exclusives that you can't get on a PC. OP mentioned that he is a PC gamer so I assume PS4 holds no value for him in terms of whatever little perf advantage it has over XB1. PS4 generally seems to have more complains about noise compared to XB1 and is objectively lacking on updates and other features (although OP may not care).

"Right now" XB1 is $50-70 cheaper than PS4 and has more free games offers (depending on when and where you buy). So there is that "best bang for your buck".

Lacking on features and updates? Really? The Xbox has had updates to bring it in line with what the ps4 did out of the box. Then there is share play. Personally I think the ps4 has a far richer feature set

Ouya, obv.

lolz

The Ouya, I forgot about that.

I've seen more about people usein Raspberry Pis to make NES emulators.

Lacking on features and updates? Really? The Xbox has had updates to bring it in line with what the ps4 did out of the box. Then there is share play. Personally I think the ps4 has a far richer feature set

That's not really true, but for then going into that doesn't really apply to the thread topic.

Both the X1 and ps4 launched with missing features from the previous generation. Both have been improved since launch. MS has been more aggressive in rolling out updates and new features. Sony has done its fair share of updates, but not at the same pace or with the same amount of changes.

If you want to argue that the ps4 has a richer feature set, you better be well versed in the feature set of the X1 first. The X1 is pretty feature rich as well. The share play feature is very well done, no complaints there. The X1 share feature is nice too, but I would say the ps4 implementation is a bit easier to use. The X1 method is robust in other ways though such as editing and upload options.

Basically, let's not take shots at MS or Sony in regards to features. Simply lay out the features for everyone to decide on their own.