Wish to purchase a console, recommendations please

That's not really true, but for then going into that doesn't really apply to the thread topic.

Both the X1 and ps4 launched with missing features from the previous generation. Both have been improved since launch. MS has been more aggressive in rolling out updates and new features. Sony has done its fair share of updates, but not at the same pace or with the same amount of changes.

If you want to argue that the ps4 has a richer feature set, you better be well versed in the feature set of the X1 first. The X1 is pretty feature rich as well. The share play feature is very well done, no complaints there. The X1 share feature is nice too, but I would say the ps4 implementation is a bit easier to use. The X1 method is robust in other ways though such as editing and upload options.

Basically, let's not take shots at MS or Sony in regards to features. Simply lay out the features for everyone to decide on their own.

I think the post was about 'Share Play' on the PS4 where you can share games with friends online. Allowing them to play games you own or you play games they own. Also the ability to play your game for you if your struggling to pass a certain section or joining your game to play either co-op or vs mode same as them playing as second controller on your PS4 but online from anywhere in the world. The Xbox One doesnt have any features similar to this.

Both have video/screenshot recording and sharing features though.

I think the post was about 'Share Play' on the PS4 where you can share games with friends online. Allowing them to play games you own or you play games they own. Also the ability to play your game for you if your struggling to pass a certain section or joining your game to play either co-op or vs mode same as them playing as second controller on your PS4 but online from anywhere in the world. The Xbox One doesnt have any features similar to this.

Both have video/screenshot recording and sharing features though.

That makes a lot more sense. That is definitely a good feature and one worth detailing instead of just attacking.

I just get tired of people slamming the X1 or ps4 when they clearly don't know about either one or don't care to know.

I wasn't slamming either really - just pointing out that the PS4 should not be classed as a machine lacking features or updates.

My opinion is that the PS4 has the better feature set for a games console, which at the end of the day, is what the PS4 and Xbox One are.

At the end of the day my Xbox sits in my family room as the hub to my entertainment center.  I'm not saying it's that way for everyone, but it is the best solution for my situation.  If you're a college student that's only going to play games and move the console around then definitely the PS4 is better.  I like the fact that I can play games that to me look pretty much the same as what I've seen on the PS4 (granted, through comparison videos since I don't have a PS4) but I can also use it to view HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, etc. shows, listen to Xbox Music or Pandora, connect to my media server on my network and have a easy, rich, and good looking browsing experience for my movies.  The apps are growing day by day. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/xbox-one/live-apps

Here are the console specific posts on Kotaku's "Biggest Disappointments of 2014" article:

The PS4's Software
When the PlayStation 4 launched, there was something admirable about its stripped-down operating system. Just the games, man. Nothing fancy, just a long bar of applications, with some ancillary stuff underneath. Now, more than a year later, the PS4's software situation feels like more of an issue. The console is lacking basic features like an easily browsable game library, or the promised suspend/resume system. It's far too difficult to tweak settings, and many functions are buried in counterintuitive places. The console still lacks DLNA streaming support, and there's still no HBO Go app, though both are expected to arrive? sometime.

Xbox One Still Doesn't Have a Screenshot Button
It may seem like a little thing, but it isn't. The PS4's dedicated screenshot button has proven to be one of the console's neatest, most useful new features, and makes games feel more social and sharable in precisely the way console manufacturers are always promising. A lot of us constantly use it, and as games continue to include nifty photo modes, it seems like a safe bet that we'll be using it even more. (And, yes, we know Nintendo systems support screenshots in a variety of ways, too.) The Xbox One's lack of a comparable function is increasingly glaring?games likeShadow of Mordor might add a neat 360-degree photo mode, but in order to get a screenshot, Xbox One users have to go through a convoluted process of capturing a video, exporting it, and grabbing a screenshot using software on their PC. It's rarely worth the hassle, and Xbox One users are missing out as a result.

Sony's Fall Games Lineup
Sony's PS4 built up a huge head of steam over the year, handily outselling its competitors and earning generally positive buzz. And then the fall arrived, and? well, the games just weren't that exciting. Oh, sure, there were plenty of good cross-platform, cross-gen games like Shadow of MordorDestiny, and Far Cry 4. But where were the big Sony exclusives? Where were the games that showed off what the PS4 could really do? The biggest planned exclusive, The Order: 1886, was delayed into next year. The other one, Driveclub, was a niche driving game to begin with, and it launched with a raft of connectivity problems. That all left the PS4 without a big tentpole game to call its own. Of course, it's better to delay games than to release them broken and unfinished. All the same, it was difficult to look at the PS4's fall lineup and not feel like something was missing.

Source: Kotaku

The rest are game related so they pertain to both or neither console.

I can also use it to view HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, etc. shows, listen to Xbox Music or Pandora

I, and I expect most people who've bought a TV relatively recently can already do all of this on our "Smart" TV without buying a Xbox One or PS4. (well besides Xbox Music)

The Xbox One doesn't allow you to watch HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, etc. shows if you don't already have them. Now perhaps you enjoy the voice controls the Xbox One provides but that's not what you said.

Connect to my media server on my network and have a easy, rich, and good looking browsing experience for my movies.  The apps are growing day by day.http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/xbox-one/live-apps

I don't have media server nor any desire to get one and I suspect I'm in the majority on that. This is a finge feature and while it may be quite popular in tech-savy hangounts like Neowin forums I would be shocked if this was a big deal to the majority of console owners in general. Furthermore if I DID have a media server and wanted a media hub and a ton of apps I'd just build a cheap media PC that could run far more apps and stream data from a server for far less than either the Xbox One or PS4. This isn't what a console is for. Sure Joe User doesn't want or maybe even know how to build a cheap media PC but again Joe User doesn't have a Media Server either. Odds are if you know enough to have a media server then you know enough to built a Media PC for your living room. Why limit yourself to whatever MS approves for the Xbox when you can build a box that streams from a server and runs ANY windows app for less $$$?

I, and I expect most people who've bought a TV relatively recently can already do all of this on our "Smart" TV without buying a Xbox One or PS4. (well besides Xbox Music)

The Xbox One doesn't allow you to watch HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, etc. shows if you don't already have them. Now perhaps you enjoy the voice controls the Xbox One provides but that's not what you said.

I don't have media server nor any desire to get one and I suspect I'm in the majority on that. This is a finge feature and while it may be quite popular in tech-savy hangounts like Neowin forums I would be shocked if this was a big deal to the majority of console owners in general. Furthermore if I DID have a media server and wanted a media hub and a ton of apps I'd just build a cheap media PC that could run far more apps and stream data from a server for far less than either the Xbox One or PS4. This isn't what a console is for. Sure Joe User doesn't want or maybe even know how to build a cheap media PC but again Joe User doesn't have a Media Server either. Odds are if you know enough to have a media server then you know enough to built a Media PC for your living room. Why limit yourself to whatever MS approves for the Xbox when you can build a box that streams from a server and runs ANY windows app for less $$$?

Then maybe you completely grabbed the wrong quotes from my post.  Maybe this one would be more appropriate:

I'm not saying it's that way for everyone, but it is the best solution for my situation.

I was posting on Neowin forums to someone in here, so maybe the OP is tech-savvy (or maybe not, but he still asked for opinions). 

And, yes, I love the voice controls for when I'm watching TV and operating other stuff on the Xbox.  My TV (a 55" Samsung) does not have any of those apps available because it's too old.

Edit: Oh, and my media server is just files in my NAS dropped into a folder that MediaBrowser picks up and sorts automatically for me.  It's really cool and easy.  You should check it out.

Your right that many TVs bought today will include many of the popular entertainment apps, but your missing something. Many average users actaully appretiate the idea that they can use a single box under their TV to do all of the things that required multiple boxes or jumping between multiple experiences. If a console like the X1 or PS4can offer a single UI experience that integrates it all, then that has appeal.

The addition of voice commands, the ability to use a universal remote, or your smartphone, is a bonus for users that need or want that method of interaction. Its more about the idea of not having to leave a UI/experience to access any media you want from games to pictures.

The definition of what a console is for is not for any one person to decide. Game consoles stopped being solely focused on playing a game last gen. This is mearly the natural evolution of that transition. You have very powerful hardware (compared to last gen) that can be used for much more than playing a game, so why not create a value-add service along with it. Plus, it makes it easier to sell a $400 console to the average user. Today, they get way more value out of a $400 game console then they ever could in the past. The consoles still play games just fine, but now they are your movie player, your music streamer, or your cable box.

Someone that has zero interst in gaming and also is among the tech savvy that knows how to build an htpc/media server will of course find a better option on the pc. I know becuase I have exactly that. However, for those that either play alot or just a little and are not interested in learning how to put together an htpc, having similar features on their console is a nice plus. It doesn't take away from the gaming value, so anyone that has zero interst in non-gaming entertainment can simply ignore that.

The X1 and PS4 are good gaming consoles. The ps4 has some compelling gaming features that help it stand out such as Share Play or Remote Play. Heck, even the 'share' button on the controller is a nice feature, although that is not really a gaming feature and more a social feature. The X1 went a different direction on the gaming feature front with things like Smartglass that allow for augmented experiences in games (ranging from using any smartphone or tablet as a controller for a third player to augmenting the gameplay experience with new features). They also have a nice editing app/upload options for recorded clips (small thing but I record a lot of clips and the differences have been noticed). Sony definitely has the edge if you can take adavantage of its features and MS should be taking notes and improving the experience. Both companies would do well to copy the useful features of the other.

Your right that many TVs bought today will include many of the popular entertainment apps, but your missing something. Many average users actaully appretiate the idea that they can use a single box under their TV to do all of the things that required multiple boxes or jumping between multiple experiences. If a console like the X1 or PS4can offer a single UI experience that integrates it all, then that has appeal.

I don't understand why you would want to add a box to your tv for things your tv already does?

My 3 year old TV has DLNA, gesture and voice control plus apps, I never required multiple boxes for these media features. Didn't even need one.

It can stream movies and music from my PC setup as a media server on the other side of the house, it can watch cable tv movies and shows via my cable tv providers app on the tv, I can check the tv guide by pressing a button on the tv remote, changing channels by voice command or gesture, etc.

The Xbox One and PS4 media features seem redundant to me because of this.

I've historically been a die-hard Playstation fan, but after Sony's recent showing with "The Interview", and their lack of intestinal fortitude, I'm seriously considering foregoing the PS4 in lieu of an XBox One when my tax return comes in.

This doesn't make sense at all. You're ADDING an additional box to your setup and not removing anything. The Xbox One doesn't replace your TV so if you're do have a "smart" TV then now you've got two (or more) interfaces doing the same thing instead of one. Your Xbox One doesn't replace your cable box, you chain them, so now you've got two (ore more) interfaces doing the same thing there as well. Again your cable box almost certainly doesn't do motion controls but that's not what he pointed to. The Xbox doesn't allow you to watch HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, etc. like he said unless you already have a cable box to do that so you're just piling on more interfaces not consolidating into less.

The addition of voice commands, the ability to use a universal remote, or your smartphone, is a bonus for users that need or want that method of interaction. Its more about the idea of not having to leave a UI/experience to access any media you want from games to pictures.

He said NOTHING about voice commands, etc. I even said in my reply "Now perhaps you enjoy the voice controls the Xbox One provides but that's not what you said." I'm not trying to attack the Xbox specifically, I even tried to say "Xbox One or PS4" as much as possible so I wasn't singling it out. Buying a console to watch a list of cable channels is a strange reason to buy a console. Especially when the console isn't even able to actually provide those channels, it just chains off an existing cable box that you still need to keep.

The definition of what a console is for is not for any one person to decide.

I agree. It's for the majority of console consumers to decide and they don't buy $400 game consoles to do what <$50 media sticks, or their smart TV already does. Nor do most console buyers have media servers set up in their homes. That's my point. Those are fringe features, perhaps used heavily by the tech savy community at Neowin and such but not the general console buying public.

Game consoles stopped being solely focused on playing a game last gen.

This is a myth. Game consoles stopped being SOLELY focused on playing games with the original PlayStation. When they went from cartridges to CDs they added media capabilities. The PlayStation was actually a very good CD player (which was new at the time even though it seems like not much today.) The PlayStation 2 branched out from music to movies with DVD movie support. The PlayStation 3 added Blu-Ray AND streaming. Game consoles being used for streaming is last gen. At one point the PS3 was the #1 most popular device for streaming Netflix (it likely would have been the 360 if they had taken down the paywall back then as they have now) It's not anymore. It's not anymore because darn near everything streams now, TVs, Blu-Ray players, your phone, <$50 sticks (Chromecast, Amazon FireTV Stick, etc). The majority of console buyers don't buy consoles for their streaming capability. If neither the Xbox One or the PS4 could stream anything I doubt they would have lost many sales (sure there would be a lot of screaming on the internet though.) Since they can stream people go ahead and use the capability but they don't buy the $400ish device specifically to get that capability, it's just a ride along feature.

I don't know why people keep acting like the Xbox One (or PS4) have amazing new multimedia capabilities. Streaming on game consoles didn't start with them, consoles before this gen were NOT all about games ONLY. Streaming on game consoles was a last gen tech and now the ability to do that on other devices is so cheap and so ubiquitous that isn't really not a feature to tout anymore on a "next-gen" console. As far as streaming and multimedia the Xbox One and PS4 can do little if anything more than the Xbox 360 and PS3. The big advance with the Xbox One is the voice and motion interface controls but again that's not what the post I replied to talked about nor does it seem to be a compelling reason to get a console since it requires Kinect and it's no longer required. I suspect it won't be long (if it hasn't happened already) before the number of Xbox One owners without Kinect attached (either because they didn't get one or they just never hooked it up) outnumbers the number with it. That being the case they can't control things via voice and motion so clearly that's NOT what people are buying these consoles for. It's neat but it doesn't drive sales.

Again, different people have different situations, but I had a cable box, an Apple TV, an Xbox and a PS3, and a receiver under my TV.  Now I have the cable box, Xbox One, and the receiver.  And I can do more than I used to be able to.  

Also, I don't know why you're making a big deal about me not mentioning voice control (which I mentioned in my follow up post).  YES YES YES I love the voice controls!!!!!

Again, different people have different situations, but I had a cable box, an Apple TV, an Xbox and a PS3, and a receiver under my TV.  Now I have the cable box, Xbox One, and the receiver.  And I can do more than I used to be able to.

I'm not sure if this reply was meant to me but first let me say that when I initially replied to your post, given the topic of this thread (recommendations for someone else) I assumed you were trying to that those were reasons other people should pick Xbox One. You clarified in your reply that you where just sharing your personal situation and so I didn't reply any further to you. You've made your decision, you're happy with it, that's great! My point was just that your situation does not represent the average console buyer and frankly the way you worded it at least isn't even true. Xbox One doesn't allow you to watch TV channels. It allows you to control a cable box you already have using voice and gestures assuming you even have a Kinect.

I am curious though what you can do now that you can't with all those other devices. I'm not sure what the Apple TV does that the PS3 didn't already do as far as streaming for example. I assume by Xbox you meant Xbox 360 and with MS's policy change removing the paywall that's a pretty solid streaming box now too. The Apple TV, Xbox (360?), and PS3 all seem redundant in your prior setup anyway except the Xbox (360?) and PS3 can play their respective games. If AppleTV has some sort of Apple streaming capability that Xbox (360?) and PS3 can't do I suspect your Xbox One can't do it either. Seems to me you lost Xbox (360?) and PS3 gaming in your new setup and gained Xbox One gaming. Apple TV was already redundant in your old setup unless it does provide something proprietry in which case you've now likely lost that as well. I really don't see what you are now able to do that you weren't before... except possibly voice/motion control but again that wasn't something you mentioned in your initial post and many Xbox One users can't do that since the Kinect is no longer a required device and isn't keeping pace with Xbox One sales.

Also, I don't know why you're making a big deal about me not mentioning voice control (which I mentioned in my follow up post).  YES YES YES I love the voice controls!!!!!

Again, I'm not sure if this is directed at me since it isn't a reply but if it is I'm not making voice control a big deal. I actually think if voice/motion control is important to someone it is a good reason to choose the Xbox One over the competition. I found it odd that you'd mention watching TV channels, a ubiquitous feature available on cheap devices and already included on many devices people already have, instead of a stand out feature like voice/motion control.

Hi guys & lady members  :rolleyes:

I am sorry if this is the incorrect section. I wasn't sure as the XBOX One is technically hardware.

I never thought that I would say it. but I'm done with PC gaming and it's high time that I purchased my very first ever games console. but... I am drawn between the battle of the mighty gigantic Microsoft XBOX One with a brick for a PSU and the Sony Play Station 4 without the brick for a PSU. The mixed reviews are so confusing they're not helping me decide on which is better of the two. So I have turned to neowin for help and advise. I am Microsoft through and through. I probably have MS running through my veins. I just love the look and feel of the XBOX One, and the controller is so comfortable to use.

Guys which one should I get. I know it is personal preference and you buy which one is the best for your needs. SPS4 I would say is for the serious gamer, whereas the XBOX One is like a Windows 8 Console for gaming and other things.

Which one should I go for?

(A) MS XBOX ONE

(B) Sony Playstation 4

Thank you I hope that you can help me decide on which one i should purchase. Although looking at this topic I've probably answered the question already.  :wacko:

Well since you're a big Microsoft fan I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the Xbox One. It has gotten a lot better since launch. There are awesome deals out there right now.

That's not to say the PS4 isn't good either, but if you can only choose one, in your case I would go with the Xbox.

Merged

Hi guys & lady members  :rolleyes:

I am sorry if this is the incorrect section. I wasn't sure as the XBOX One is technically hardware.

I never thought that I would say it. but I'm done with PC gaming and it's high time that I purchased my very first ever games console. but... I am drawn between the battle of the mighty gigantic Microsoft XBOX One with a brick for a PSU and the Sony Play Station 4 without the brick for a PSU. The mixed reviews are so confusing they're not helping me decide on which is better of the two. So I have turned to neowin for help and advise. I am Microsoft through and through. I probably have MS running through my veins. I just love the look and feel of the XBOX One, and the controller is so comfortable to use.

Guys which one should I get. I know it is personal preference and you buy which one is the best for your needs. SPS4 I would say is for the serious gamer, whereas the XBOX One is like a Windows 8 Console for gaming and other things.

Which one should I go for?

(A) MS XBOX ONE

(B) Sony Playstation 4

Thank you I hope that you can help me decide on which one i should purchase. Although looking at this topic I've probably answered the question already.  :wacko:

Welcome to Neowin.

As IronMan273, we have another active discussion on the same topic.

I would say go with a Xbox one, it is less powerful than the PS4 but the power is not being used on the PS4.

The Sony team behind the operating system on the PS4 are also terrible and microsoft's OS experience shows on the Xbox one, where it lacks in power it makes up for it in stability and the operating system being far better than that of the PS4 with regular useful updates with sonys still trying to fix their stability a year on with terrible network issues and almost unusable messaging system.

You also have external hard drive and DNLA support on the xbox one with sony trying their hardest to block you from using these features at every turn.

If you want a simple gaming console that will have most the same games as the PS4 with less the headache and ###### poor sony support then go with an xbox one , kinestless version were you can game and catch tv and movies and skype.

I would say go with a Xbox one, it is less powerful than the PS4 but the power is not being used on the PS4.

The Sony team behind the operating system on the PS4 are also terrible and microsoft's OS experience shows on the Xbox one, where it lacks in power it makes up for it in stability and the operating system being far better than that of the PS4 with regular useful updates with sonys still trying to fix their stability a year on with terrible network issues and almost unusable messaging system.

You also have external hard drive and DNLA support on the xbox one with sony trying their hardest to block you from using these features at every turn.

If you want a simple gaming console that will have most the same games as the PS4 with less the headache and ###### poor sony support then go with an xbox one , kinestless version were you can game and catch tv and movies and skype.

If you love the MS ecosystem then I'm going to suggest the Xbox One, also asking for recommendations in a Microsoft based forum isn't the best place to get an even spread of advice.

Also majority of the things Dermot mentions above are just plain false. I too was looking for information and advice when both systems were released and I found that majority of the time people who preferred the Xbox would often exaggerate or flat out lie about the consoles to try persuade you into buying it. As someone who previously owned an Xbox 360 but didn't like halo (I preferred fable) that brought up red markers and I did my own digging and decided on the PS4.

All the media features will eventually hit a saturation point and both will have the same features as each other, Share Play on the PS4 to me seems like a better version of X1's failed original shared games drm plan. Both have voice controls and the PS4 has the capabilities for gesture control but only time will tell if they decide to implement it. PS4 is the more powerful gaming system and it's noticable in some games already. If your a die hard halo fan or really want those gesture controls right now than I'd go for the X1, I personally only use Windows OS on PC but wouldn't say I love it; its functional and it does everything I need for a PC with an easy to use UI that I'm used too. So if you 'love' windows than maybe going for the X1 is the way to go also.

I don't think it would be fair to say just the Xbox fanbois lie about the consoles.

Tons of ###### from the PS fanbois also.

Honestly, I love my Xbox one, but I'm not going to say it's the best console hands down, I'd honestly make the decision based on games and whether you want Cortana >.>

Either way, my Xbone has been fantastic and I wouldn't trade it in for a PS4 for nothing.. Back to my Halo 5 multiplayer beta > :D

If you love the MS ecosystem then I'm going to suggest the Xbox One, also asking for recommendations in a Microsoft based forum isn't the best place to get an even spread of advice.

Also majority of the things Dermot mentions above are just plain false. I too was looking for information and advice when both systems were released and I found that majority of the time people who preferred the Xbox would often exaggerate or flat out lie about the consoles to try persuade you into buying it. As someone who previously owned an Xbox 360 but didn't like halo (I preferred fable) that brought up red markers and I did my own digging and decided on the PS4.

All the media features will eventually hit a saturation point and both will have the same features as each other, Share Play on the PS4 to me seems like a better version of X1's failed original shared games drm plan. Both have voice controls and the PS4 has the capabilities for gesture control but only time will tell if they decide to implement it. PS4 is the more powerful gaming system and it's noticable in some games already. If your a die hard halo fan or really want those gesture controls right now than I'd go for the X1, I personally only use Windows OS on PC but wouldn't say I love it; its functional and it does everything I need for a PC with an easy to use UI that I'm used too. So if you 'love' windows than maybe going for the X1 is the way to go also.

I have both consoles, so please tell me what is false and what i am lying about, because obviously you have no clue of both consoles or don't even have both?

The kinect destroys the PS4 camera in all ways, the PS4 camera has no function past the play studio also with no support for games or even video chat for that matter.

The kinect will also move, pan and detect more than one user, the PS4 camera is crippled with 2 players and the kinect can detect the specific user, the PS4 camera is lucky to pick you up at all.

You try and use plex even through the PS4 browser and you will get out of memory errors a lot of the times.

Try having the Ps4 with it's extra memory do more than 1 thing at a time and you will see how the PS4 operating system fails below par.

The Xbox one has Esram which is super fast 32mb ram that can either be a headache or a benefit given the developer who chooses to use it or has to work around or  with it instead of just directly porting their games from pc to ps4 like what has being happening with all the indie games for ps4 directly ported from pc with little to no upgrade.

Sony has been promising video usb/dnla support since post launch and over a year later they have not done nothing about it, even though microsoft made all the mistakes yet they have back tracked, fixed, added, improved massively since launch and i dare anyone to say they haven't compared to sonys...

"Some improvements on stability" since last november and a whole year just to offer dynamic backgrounds which the system has had since launch?

If you're a PS4 user you would have had the issue with messages loading that reddit or other forums like neogaf have been talking about for months, it's takes soemtimes 10 minutes to just send the word "hello" on the new PSN, which PS users now have to pay to use, this is just unacceptable.

The ps4 controllers thumbstick covers are all tearing off before 6 months usage and is that known sony will replace them without issue it's that bad of an issue.

While the xbox one 3 operating systems can have hiccups, they well out  perform the Ps4 single operating system.

The share play system on the ps4 and it's locked hour allowance is ok, if you both have fiber connections and the developer allows it. but even that, damn all people i know use it much bar the first week of release, it's no good if you can't earn anything out of it and will just hurt game sales for those ###### developers who people will see how bad their games are before buying them..

And i'd love to hear about this game on PS4 that uses all the great power of the system.. because no game on either game system really stands out.

I could go on but i'll not bother, but to say if you truely enjoy gaming, get both and see both ends of the spectrum and don't fall into the petty resolution crap.

While the xbox one 3 operating systems can have hiccups, they well out  perform the Ps4 single operating system.

I really wish people would stop saying this.  It's one friggin OS.  It is partitioned in a hypervisor, but it's still one OS.

And the PS4 has a memory speed advantage, not a memory advantage.  It has pretty much the same reserved memory and other hardware as the X1 does.

Both are fine, buy the one that has the titles you want.. if the titles you want are available for both, then buy the one that you like the look of, or is cheapest, or who's controller feels most natural, etc.

• Like 1

I really wish people would stop saying this.  It's one friggin OS.  It is partitioned in a hypervisor, but it's still one OS.

And the PS4 has a memory speed advantage, not a memory advantage.  It has pretty much the same reserved memory and other hardware as the X1 does.

that's like saying all virtual machines are not operating systems either, windows 8.1 and windows RT are not separate operating systems etc, semantics.

As i said above, i'm yet to see the advantage bar developers getting to 1080p easier, apart from that there is not much to scream about the ps4 been far more powerful.

Even the oh wait till uncharted comes out to blow you away rants, it looks like tomb raider definitive edition at present, i hope it's going to improve to blow me away.

The only real thing to make a solid decision really is price and the exclusives and wanting to watch your own movies without having to pay sony 50 quid a month to with movies unlimited..