Wish to purchase a console, recommendations please

that's like saying all virtual machines are not operating systems either, windows 8.1 and windows RT are not separate operating systems etc, semantics.

No, it's like saying Windows 8.1 with parts of itself segmented off to seperate hardware would still be Windows 8.1.

There's nothing virtual about it.

People arguing over somebody elses dilemma. Priceless.

It's quite simple. How many of your real friends own a Ps4? How many own an Xbox One? If more people own one over the other, opt for that platform as gaming with friends is much more fun.

Take a look at the existing library of games on both. Which games do you prefer? Look at upcoming games, which has the stronger line up that suits your taste? Opt for that console.

Weigh up both online offerings (PS+ v XBL). Which looks better value? Opt for that console.

Bottom line - get the console that better suits your requirements.

If you just want the more powerful console, get PS4. 

I have both consoles, so please tell me what is false and what i am lying about, because obviously you have no clue of both consoles or don't even have both?

The kinect destroys the PS4 camera in all ways, the PS4 camera has no function past the play studio also with no support for games or even video chat for that matter.

The kinect will also move, pan and detect more than one user, the PS4 camera is crippled with 2 players and the kinect can detect the specific user, the PS4 camera is lucky to pick you up at all.

You try and use plex even through the PS4 browser and you will get out of memory errors a lot of the times.

Try having the Ps4 with it's extra memory do more than 1 thing at a time and you will see how the PS4 operating system fails below par.

The Xbox one has Esram which is super fast 32mb ram that can either be a headache or a benefit given the developer who chooses to use it or has to work around or  with it instead of just directly porting their games from pc to ps4 like what has being happening with all the indie games for ps4 directly ported from pc with little to no upgrade.

Sony has been promising video usb/dnla support since post launch and over a year later they have not done nothing about it, even though microsoft made all the mistakes yet they have back tracked, fixed, added, improved massively since launch and i dare anyone to say they haven't compared to sonys...

"Some improvements on stability" since last november and a whole year just to offer dynamic backgrounds which the system has had since launch?

If you're a PS4 user you would have had the issue with messages loading that reddit or other forums like neogaf have been talking about for months, it's takes soemtimes 10 minutes to just send the word "hello" on the new PSN, which PS users now have to pay to use, this is just unacceptable.

The ps4 controllers thumbstick covers are all tearing off before 6 months usage and is that known sony will replace them without issue it's that bad of an issue.

While the xbox one 3 operating systems can have hiccups, they well out  perform the Ps4 single operating system.

The share play system on the ps4 and it's locked hour allowance is ok, if you both have fiber connections and the developer allows it. but even that, damn all people i know use it much bar the first week of release, it's no good if you can't earn anything out of it and will just hurt game sales for those ###### developers who people will see how bad their games are before buying them..

And i'd love to hear about this game on PS4 that uses all the great power of the system.. because no game on either game system really stands out.

I could go on but i'll not bother, but to say if you truely enjoy gaming, get both and see both ends of the spectrum and don't fall into the petty resolution crap.

Well from your original post you said that Sony was actively blocking DLNA  and external USB support when Sony said they would support them later on with updates. (external usb support for music files is already available)

You said the PS4 OS is unstable compared to X1 OS, PS4 OS is completely stable. Only widespread issue the PS4 had with stability was during the 2.0 major update which has already been fixed. I've had the PS4 for almost a year now and haven't had a single crash or any performance issues with the PS4.

X1 on the other hand has had a few issues with stability if you feel like going through the Xbox threads to see for yourself.

I see more complaints on these forums with Microsoft support rather than Sony support also.

As for the quoted post.

1). You don't own both, like many others you use that as an excuse to justify what your opinions are on the differences between the two but you seem to know very little about the PS4 and believe things about it that are just plain false so I doubt you own one.

2). PS4 Camera has a few uses actually. From login with face recognition to playing games like 'Just Dance' and even to stream a video of yourself with gameplay to upload to youtube or other supported streaming services.

3). My PS4 camera has no issue recognizing me to login into the system, not sure how that makes it lucky to pickup anything at all?

4). Plex has a PS4 app, I personally don't use it but searching for issues people have had with it on the PS4 comes up with no results.

5). The indie port thing is just made-up, lots of PS4 indie games are built specifically for the PS4.

6). Yes DLNA was promised a long time ago and still isn't here natively on the PS4, but the X1 also doesn't have everything it promised it would also.

7). Its had many new features including themes (not dynamic wallpapers) added to the PS4 since launch; e.g Share Play, Video Editor, USB Music Playback, 3D BR Support, Youtube support, etc and these are just relatively recent added features.

8). My PS4 thumbsticks haven't had any issues, but I do remember reading about a batch of PS4 controllers that had durability issues but Sony replacing those for free isn't that proof that Sony customer support is actually pretty good?

9). I don't have a fiber connection and share play works well for me, maybe I'm just special? Trying out games is a good thing, if people try a game and its terrible and don't waste money we shouldn't feel bad about the publisher/developer not gaining an extra sale for a bad game..

10). Every single multiplatform game performs better on the PS4, sure the differences aren't major but subtle differences that lots of people can notice are still there.

Please go on, but do some research and check your facts first please.

• Like 3

You said the PS4 OS is unstable compared to X1 OS, PS4 OS is completely stable. Only widespread issue the PS4 had with stability was during the 2.0 major update which has already been fixed. I've had the PS4 for almost a year now and haven't had a single crash or any performance issues with the PS4.

I wanted to back you up on this point. My ps4 OS wise has been solid since day one performance wise. The only issues I continue to experience or had experienced in the past were related to:

1. Apps - many of the apps I use, including Sony 1st party apps, were unreliable at launch including crashing to the dashboard. Today, I still have issues with some apps, but others have gotten better, such as Sony's Music Unlimited app.

2. The store - at launch, the store was fairly slow performance wise. Today, it feels fine.

3. Games crashing - this is an on going issue, but its related to individual games, not the OS. This happens on both consoles

I think people often lump all issues of a console software wise into a single issue and blame the OS, when in fact many times its something else entirely.

2). PS4 Camera has a few uses actually. From login with face recognition to playing games like 'Just Dance' and even to stream a video of yourself with gameplay to upload to youtube or other supported streaming services.

3). My PS4 camera has no issue recognizing me to login into the system, not sure how that makes it lucky to pickup anything at all?

Backing you up here as well. As you might remember, I didn't get a ps4 camera at launch, just barrowed one to test out. Well I picked one up on sale a few weeks ago. My experience has been as reliable as yours regarding login except for some low light situations.

The ps4 camera also got a recent update to its voice command controls, making it much more useful for that, something I appreciate and that kind of continued support convinced me to buy one.

On its own, the ps4 cam offers useful features. Comparing it with say Kinect would be another discussion.

10). Every single multiplatform game performs better on the PS4, sure the differences aren't major but subtle differences that lots of people can notice are still there.

That is not exactly true. Anyone following the thread here or around other forums will find that the current trend is games are either 'equal' or superior (in minor or major ways) on the ps4. The games that are deemed 'equal' tend to have some technical differences that aren't clearly advantages or disadvantages for either console. Or maybe there are conflicting issues such as higher res vs higher/solid frame rate.

Now none of this changes the fact that the ps4 has a more powerful gpu, it just shows that each developer uses that hardware in a different way, resulting in a range of experiences.

Not making a recommendation, just posting Walmart has PS4 on sale for $329 today. Really tempting but I just bought all the components for a living room PC. :/

I have all the knowledge I need to build a HTPC which has more capabilities that an X1 absolutely, but I don't want the hassle or the clunky interface sitting under my TV. (been there done that)I'd rather keep all that crap in the basement where it belongs. So far I have been unimpressed with the capabilities of Smart TVs not to mention slow and clunky interface. Future updates for these services going forward including security updates is also a bit of a question mark IMHO. I use Xbox and Roku on my TVs that are all different brands to make them smart and that suits me just fine. Once those devices are no longer supported I can recycle them and get new smart capabilities that will work on the same displays.   

Not trying to hijack the thread, and not sure if I should create a new one.

I'm in the same situation as the OP, I've decided on a console instead of pc. PS4 vs Xbox One, mostly. However, as a casual gamer and want Netflix for my son, would a PS4 be a good choice?

I have all the knowledge I need to build a HTPC which has more capabilities that an X1 absolutely, but I don't want the hassle or the clunky interface sitting under my TV. (been there done that)I'd rather keep all that crap in the basement where it belongs. So far I have been unimpressed with the capabilities of Smart TVs not to mention slow and clunky interface. Future updates for these services going forward including security updates is also a bit of a question mark IMHO. I use Xbox and Roku on my TVs that are all different brands to make them smart and that suits me just fine. Once those devices are no longer supported I can recycle them and get new smart capabilities that will work on the same displays.   

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't go HTPC instead.  HTPC is why I haven't bought a next-gen console. Previously the UI gave me pause, but with Steam Big Picture (w/Xbox Wireless Controller support) and Media Center and yes, Windows 8 Modern Apps, I think I'm good. With a wireless keyboard and touchpad if I need to do any real computing, of course I can.

As for the clunky, I only do SFF and many PCs look like an AV receiver if you go that route. With everything Wireless except the HDMI cable, and power cable, now's the time for me.

But there are definitely more of the types of games I play, Arcade.  But Grid Autosport, Pinball FX, Telltale, Geometry Wars 3, and I even have Gears of War PC, I think I can hold out. Uncharted, Killer Instinct, Abe's New & Tasty and the forthcoming Hellblade are tempting though. The later two are coming to PC or so they say.

I try to play less games, as over six month i have being home a lot, they ate too much of my time already,  but I did own Xbox One and PS4 recently.

They are both fine system, and I recommend you try them in store.   Took a bit of time to get used to xbox one, and both OSes are running fine

Seriously, it is about the availability of games that you want to play .  Or console price.   

Not trying to hijack the thread, and not sure if I should create a new one.

I'm in the same situation as the OP, I've decided on a console instead of pc. PS4 vs Xbox One, mostly. However, as a casual gamer and want Netflix for my son, would a PS4 be a good choice?

PS4 does Netflix and it does games, extremely well. Yes, a PS4 would be a good choice.