Unable to install ubuntu lenovo u400

I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04 on my Lenovo u400 laptop and am running into major issues.
Apparently the laptop runs UEFI bios, but does not have the option to set anything to legacy other than fast boot mode or normal boot mode, the system came with Windows 7 NOT Windows 8

When i boot off a USB stick with ubuntu i get an error
Could not open "\EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi": 14
I tried making a copy of grubx64.efi and renaming it fallback.efi as that was a mentioned fix and now i dont get the error but it boots to a black screen that is doing nothing (no HDD activity, crtl alt delete restarts system, tried increasing brightness)

I also tried to use bbqlinux but it also would not boot.

Am I SOL on getting this to run linux?

I think "normal boot mode" is your legacy option.

How'd you get Ubuntu on the pen drive? I'd suggest trying burning it onto usb with Unetbootin.

Yea, its been on normal mode the entire time other than when i tried fast boot.

I originally burned the ISO, encountered the error

Opened the ISO, fixed the file, and burned and it goes to black screen (not more fallback.efi error)

Re-downloaded the ISO in case my changes messed it up, used the Universal USB Installed (www.pendrivelinux.com)

I will try Unetbootin tomorrow, but I have used UUI before without issue to create Ubuntu pen drives

Try a 14.10 x64 install or grab a 14.04.1 LTS x64 image. The EFI boot file was broken on some installation media offered by mirrors. I was nearly condemming Hyper-V until I realised the Azure media (that worked) had a completely different checksum to the one I downloaded locally (that didn't).

Try a 14.10 x64 install or grab a 14.04.1 LTS x64 image. The EFI boot file was broken on some installation media offered by mirrors. I was nearly condemming Hyper-V until I realised the Azure media (that worked) had a completely different checksum to the one I downloaded locally (that didn't).

I think it might have been that same issue here, just grabbed the 14.10 image and I had no issues booting and installing. Im thinking my other ISOs were with the corrupt EFI boot file. Thank you all for the suggestions.