Decent wireless A-I-O printer recommendation?

So we're not far off moving in to our house & for the PC setup i'd like a wireless instead of wired printer.

Although with that said, is there any glaring downside to having a wireless printer? As currently a wired one is awkward due to where it is but at the new house a wired one wouldn't actually be a problem.

But keeping on the topic of wireless for now unless you guys come in & stress about something like reliability issues....

I'm not too bothered about brand. I've always had HP printers in the past. I've usually spent about ?150 on a printer but this last one cost around ?40 & the ink is terrible. I do less printing now since i'm no longer at school like i was with the ?150 printers, but the ink doesn't last long at all. I think it's awful. My current printer is a HP Deskjet F2480. I do do colour printing though so i need one capable of that.

I can recommend the Epson Workforce Series. Wireless scanning and printing quality and performance are excellent. I've been wireless for a couple years and really there is no downside that I can think of.

The best printer I've ever had, which also happens to be an AIO is the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600.  It's a wireless and wired network printer (I use it as a network printer, and my wife can print from her laptop wirelessly through our cable modem/router).  The print quality is practically like laserjet.  It comes with a duplexer, the scanner is superb and has a automatic feeder for the top of it also.  You can scan directly to your PC from the printer using the view screen controls.  The ink cartridges have dry ink, so the black cartridge I buy, the XL one, has a paper capacity of 2,300 sheets.  The XL color ones print 800 sheets.  Heck, when I bought the thing, the 'Starter' cartridges lasted me a full year.  And I print a lot.  You can find it on sale for $150, and it's worth every penny in my book.

The OfficeJet 8600 Plus or newer equivalents (the latest should be the 8620): they still sell it but it's two generations behind, the equivalents are pretty much the same printer with a different name/look but will likely be supported for a longer period but it all depends on the prices you'll find them at and the promotions going on (e.g. if a 8620 is 100?+ more expensive like it's here it's really not worth it, anyway all the models have usually all sorts of promotions going on but you need to research them first). It comes with with 2000~ pages cartridges (950XL/951XL, 115$ for the whole set on Amazon.com, 90? for the whole set here), I paid about 130? for it and bought several others that are all still working fine. There's also a printer-only model (still wireless, but no scanning at about 50? less) that should be the 8100 (there are also newer models of it as well). The 8600 Plus and the newer equivalents have a touchscreen and super-awesome duplex scanner while the 8600 non-Plus and its newer equivalents only have capacitive buttons (no touchscreen and a smaller display). All the series uses the same kind of cartridges (950/951) but you can recognize which one is the Plus equivalent from the large touchscreen with no buttons and duplex scanner features.

Epson recently put on sale a printer series that works with ink tanks but it's a bit more expensive and not available everywhere (Epson Ecotank series).

A lot of people recommend Brother inkjet/laser printers because they're the cheapest (especially because they're far less picky with refilled cartridges) and pretty reliable but I never looked at the reviews. Anyway, shop for per-page price otherwise you easily risk ending up scammed (like with your deskjet with, if I remember well, ~100 pages cartridges).

I'lll throw in a vote for the Epson xp610 wireless printer, I've not had any trouble with it whatsoever, it's set up in the hallway, and I have 3 pc's 3 tablets and 2 phones connected to it (just to see if I could)

I use the HP Deskjet 3050, It was just an AIO printer I got from my grandfather. Havent had any issues with it since maybe 5-years.

I am considering this printer:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2630-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00LV8QAYU/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1418261639&sr=1-4&keywords=epson+wireless+printer

The thing I like is, you can buy only the color ink that you need.

How does the security work on wireless printers, to keep other people from sending a print to your printer ?

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2630-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00LV8QAYU/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1418261639&sr=1-4&keywords=epson+wireless+printer

How does the security work on wireless printers, to keep other people from sending a print to your printer ?

You would connect the printer to your wireless network, so any computer on your network should be able to print to it (given you have it setup properly).

Fine, only the computers/devices set up on your home network, and have the relevant software installed can see/use it (I believe)

If you're really worried, simply turn It off when no it is not needed, it's what I do.

The only issue that I have wireless is the random functionality.  Sure it works great for the first few months, but then they start flaking out for no reason.  I end up wiring the printers.  I can't count how many times the printers go to sleep and never wake back up when you need to print on wireless...nothing changes from the time they are functioning properly to the time where they stop functioning other than the time that they have been on the network and/or plugged in and have power.  I have had wireless brother mfps, hp mfps, and hp standalone printers.   They all have eventually failed with printing after months or after a year, the solution was to hardwire in every case.

They would have to be on your network to be able to connect and print to it. 

The only issue that I have wireless is the random functionality.  Sure it works great for the first few months, but then they start flaking out for no reason.  I end up wiring the printers.  I can't count how many times the printers go to sleep and never wake back up when you need to print on wireless...nothing changes from the time they are functioning properly to the time where they stop functioning other than the time that they have been on the network and/or plugged in and have power.  I have had wireless brother mfps, hp mfps, and hp standalone printers.   They all have eventually failed with printing after months or after a year, the solution was to hardwire in every case.

Hmm, I've had my wireless printer for about 2 years, and it has worked great on wireless. I've also gone through infrastructure changes (computers, modems, routers, moves, etc.) and it just works. Printer is a cheap consumer grade Epson NX330. I also leave my printer off, unless I need it.

Hmm, I've had my wireless printer for about 2 years, and it has worked great on wireless. I've also gone through infrastructure changes (computers, modems, routers, moves, etc.) and it just works. Printer is a cheap consumer grade Epson NX330. I also leave my printer off, unless I need it.

In my case, it's HP's OfficeJet series - they pretty much just work - with everything. Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS - if it supports printing, it WILL work with them.  The only real quibble is the same issue with any AIO - when one or more functions goes toes-up (typically scanning) and ink prices.  If it weren't for the ink-price quibble, I would have bought one myself, especially since they are now sub-$100USD at retailers like Staples.

My take on it - does the printer move, if it doesn't move then it should be wired plain and simple ;)

If you can not run a wire for whatever reason - lazy, being really the only reason I can think of. Or not your place - and can't get permission from the landlord, etc.

Then use powerliine. I have a color laser, never been a fan of inkjet. If you don't print something for a couple of months you go to print and ink is dried up, heads clogged, etc. I have a brother hl3170cdw and have been nothing be happy with it. Its not an all in one. I don't see much use for them to be honest. You can pick up a scanner for cheap, and will last years and years. While a printer might be replaced every few. So why buy another scanner, etc.

As to printing photos - you can do that at any cvs, walgreens, walmart, etc. I would be surprised if the store on the corner near you didn't do photo printing at pennies a copy, etc. Not going to get that quality of print at home for 10x the cost, etc.

Just my 2 cents. My printer has support for wireless, but no need for it - its in in my computer room few feet from a switch ;) Not like you normally put a printer in the kitchen for example ;)

Exactly!! I HATE wireless Printing. I always tell my customers after I set it up for them, it's not a matter of if it's going to stop printing wireless but when. I can't count how many times I setup a printer on the wifi and it prints great. Then they call me a few months later and say "It's not printing"

its not an all in one. I don't see much use for them to be honest. You can pick up a scanner for cheap, and will last years and years.

I love Document scanners on printers. Where you put 30 sheets in and bam bam bam bam ....craps out a Digitized PDF! :) ... I digitize anything and everything. I also back it up on and off site. Which you can't easily do with paper copies.

Exactly!! I HATE wireless Printing. I always tell my customers after I set it up for them, it's not a matter of if it's going to stop printing wireless but when. I can't count how many times I setup a printer on the wifi and it prints great. Then they call me a few months later and say "It's not printing"

I have used the 8600 only through wireless and if you do not use WSD and also set it to a static IP it usually works every time and when it doesn't I only have to reboot the computer (not the printer, so I don't have to waste ink) or to restart the spooler service but those exact cases happened even when using a LAN cable (printer drivers apparently stop working if you never reboot your computer in weeks). So far it's the best printer I had, only a Brother with those 2?-a-pop 1000 pages refilled no-chip cartridges could beat it but buying refillable inks without knowing the right suppliers has a too high chance of killing the printer.

I love Document scanners on printers. Where you put 30 sheets in and bam bam bam bam ....craps out a Digitized PDF! :) ... I digitize anything and everything. I also back it up on and off site. Which you can't easily do with paper copies.

The 8600 Plus can scan also the back of each sheet (and the document feeder is pretty reliable as long as you don't use straight sheets). Best ADF ever.

Exactly!! I HATE wireless Printing. I always tell my customers after I set it up for them, it's not a matter of if it's going to stop printing wireless but when. I can't count how many times I setup a printer on the wifi and it prints great. Then they call me a few months later and say "It's not printing

I think I've been wireless printing with scanning for 3 years or now. Not a single problem, disconnect or anything. 802.11n and now 802.11ac so I can't vouch for 802.11g. If this is recent experience I'd be curious to know the printer brand and wireless band you're\they're using.

• Like 1

Avoid buying anything from HP's Photosmart All-in-con range.

Unless you run a single channel 20Mhz only dedicated wireless access point, simple alpha-numeric only character pass phrases of less than 30 characters, work in an 384XL ink cartridge factory, aren't running Android, aren't running Windows Phone, don't plan on scanning over a network to a windows client and don't use a 64bit Microsoft operating system to print from.

Currently burdened with the 5520, previously a B110a.

It speaks French (Bonjor) better than PCL.

• Like 2

I used a canon wireless. Nothing wrong with it. 3 PC's can print/scan to / from it. Easy to scan docs and save as pdfs using navigator. Can also use it as a fax. But I dont since its not near a phone jack atm.

And the ink is cheap (and it only uses 2 cartridges, compared to 4) like other printers (brother)

I know there's plenty in this thread who've had no worries whatsoever but the fact that a reasonable number have has put me off.

As said, the printer will be near the PC itself so i will likely go wired, although i'll still be looking at one since my current one uses ink for fun.

I have a brother hl3170cdw and have been nothing be happy with it. Its not an all in one. I don't see much use for them to be honest. You can pick up a scanner for cheap, and will last years and years. While a printer might be replaced every few. So why buy another scanner, etc.

As to printing photos - you can do that at any cvs, walgreens, walmart, etc. I would be surprised if the store on the corner near you didn't do photo printing at pennies a copy, etc. Not going to get that quality of print at home for 10x the cost, etc.

1. I'm quite interested in the idea of colour laser printers, though i thought these were expensiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive?

2. Why different? Because an A-I-O takes up one space on the desk whereas a printer takes up one space & a scanner takes up another. Plus i've had to photocopy many things & it's good to just stick it on, press a button & job done. The space thing is the biggest point though.

3. I don't use my printer to print photos at all. I don't print photos & if i did, like you say, i would go to a store & pay the pence it costs to do it there.

I know there's plenty in this thread who've had no worries whatsoever but the fact that a reasonable number have has put me off.

As said, the printer will be near the PC itself so i will likely go wired, although i'll still be looking at one since my current one uses ink for fun.

1. I'm quite interested in the idea of colour laser printers, though i thought these were expensiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive?

2. Why different? Because an A-I-O takes up one space on the desk whereas a printer takes up one space & a scanner takes up another. Plus i've had to photocopy many things & it's good to just stick it on, press a button & job done. The space thing is the biggest point though.

3. I don't use my printer to print photos at all. I don't print photos & if i did, like you say, i would go to a store & pay the pence it costs to do it there.

Just a note on photo printing, today's inkjets print fantastic photos. Most print directly from the camera or SD card which is why photo printing is popular. No PC interaction required. The only requirement for high quality photo prints is the purchase of fairly affordable glossy photo paper.

Just a note on photo printing, today's inkjets print fantastic photos.

It's at least more than 10 times more expensive to print a photo with an home/office inkjet (about 1,30? for 10x15 and my inkjet has the 2nd cheapest ink on the market), not worth it at all unless you need some custom size or just need to print one or two photos, also when you print on photographic paper the printers usually floods it with ink so not only the photos look much darker than they should but you also waste tons more ink. To save on ink I've started using glossy brochure paper that allows printing Normal rather than being forced to print on Best quality, plus the photos look awesome.

Color laser printers can be a scam just like inkjets: if you buy a cheap color laser its toners will be far more expensive. Also several inkjets printers get clogged up if you don't use them regularly and the problem becomes even worse with refilled inks. If you don't need photos and want to print cheaply then buy one of the Brother printers that take refilled ink but make sure you find a decent reliable refillable ink brand first since the market is flooded with low-quality printer-head-clogging low-quality stuff. Or buy a B&W laser with decent toner prices (BTW there are also refilled toners but the same rule applies, look for the reviews on refilled stuff before buying).

"I love Document scanners on printers."

I agree if your going to be doing scanning, one with a document feeder is great, but as you said digital copy - there is no reason to tie that to a printer..

example

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/office/products/hardware/scanners/network_scanners/imageformula_scanfront_330#Overview

as to cost of laser - they have become very reasonable priced.. I got mine last xmas for under $200, still on the original ink by the way.. Still under 2, but I got it for like 187 or something

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-3170CDW-Digital-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00BQU141C

Its a bit bigger than it looks.. But sits on top of my 2 draw filing cabinet just fine. Uses nothing for juice when in standby which was one of the features I was looking for.. But when going to print something it spits out your print in seconds from standby. I would never go back to inkjet that is for sure.

Just a note on photo printing, today's inkjets print fantastic photos. Most print directly from the camera or SD card which is why photo printing is popular. No PC interaction required. The only requirement for high quality photo prints is the purchase of fairly affordable glossy photo paper.

Don't forget ink! ;) While today's inkjets do print excellent photos, I'd still prefer to do it a store - it's much cheaper.