I've given up on Windows Phone - Tom Warren

I've always rooted for WP, and the platform has so much potential but it's just missing way too many features that Android and iOS provide. I express a general frustration at the state of WP.

Like what exactly? Name those features.

now thats left is to give up on windows and switch to a mac so we can get another "journalist" to write microsoft articles at the verge.

Please don't offend them. They are not "journalists", they are "experts".

We know we're waiting on MS to fix the Lumia lineup, the HTC is a flagship so don't get that one, other than the three available aren't his preference.  (Ignoring that the iPhone6 is similar to the two year old 925) 

Beyond more choices in a high end device, I fail to see what is new or novel about his opinion here.  Apps that tell you the weather will change the world, or something...and he feels left out.  And yet he doesn't like it that iOS/Android are actually getting some of the best apps available - from MS, that we've enjoyed for awhile now?

I could care less about games. I just wish for Instagram and Twitter to update their apps every once in a while. Microsoft just needs a swift kick in the rear, and start showing the love it has for iOS and Android. Microsoft needs to stop ignoring the high end smartphone market. It's time for a new flagship. Windows Phone currently has none.

However, if Microsoft plays Windows 10 just right, I think they can finally make some headway, especially in the business sector. They NEED to kill off carrier based updates for starters.

We know we're waiting on MS to fix the Lumia lineup, the HTC is a flagship so don't get that one, other than the three available aren't his preference.  (Ignoring that the iPhone6 is similar to the two year old 925) 

I thought that I was the only one that thought that :). My 925 runs as smooth as the day I purchased.

Nothing is wrong with my 1020.

However, if Microsoft plays Windows 10 just right, I think they can finally make some headway, especially in the business sector. They NEED to kill off carrier based updates for starters.

They need to make the phone an everyday computing device, and not an embedded situational-useful device. They did it with the tablet, and there is no reason not to do it with the phone as well.

Main thing that has me stuck on android is wifi analytics apps like farproc and inssider. Network management apps like meraki and PRTG, As well as a powerful media player like poweramp.

If windows phone had those I would switch.

Main thing that has me stuck on android is wifi analytics apps like farproc and inssider. Network management apps like meraki and PRTG, As well as a powerful media player like poweramp.

If windows phone had those I would switch.

We should build some universal apps for Windows.

WP8/8.1 is the most boring and tedious OS ever created. Just the thought of using one such phone makes me cringe. 

Would you like a prize for that, or...?

• Like 2

Not his own decision I say, it was probably a work mandate that he must use Apple products. :p

His article makes good points except for the piece about the weather app. Seriously... weather alert? :laugh:

I find that the WP UI sucks.  Half of the UI looks like it was made for blind people, then the other half is disproportionate. 

I really wanted WP to succeed, cause Android is laggy/slow, and iOS is limited.  Blackberry is kind of in app hell like WP, so I'm stuck dealing with powerful hardware that lags really badly with my Note 4.

I find that the WP UI sucks.  Half of the UI looks like it was made for blind people, then the other half is disproportionate. 

I really wanted WP to succeed, cause Android is laggy/slow, and iOS is limited.  Blackberry is kind of in app hell like WP, so I'm stuck dealing with powerful hardware that lags really badly with my Note 4.

I agree WP UI is terrible, but for your note 4 that's likely to just be the Samsung touchwiz UI which is always laggy.

Microsoft needs to step up their game with app promotions and push. Maybe a promotion like "100 new/update apps in 10 days" (Happy APPydays!). They could make a video a day and promote great apps in their ads.

Would you like a prize for that, or...?

Prize for using that POS?? Haha you can keep it.

By the way, Carriers or app developers don't care because the OS UI from 2010 is genuinely not cool enough to get most people hooked like Android or iOS.

Microsoft needs to come up with something better for 2015. Nuke the whole UI and bring in some eye pleasing gradients. Right now, WP8.1 is so flat that it falls right on its face.

I feel that MS get bored with products. They put so much into WP7 and a lot of us jumped on board for the ride with beautiful Nokia hardware. Since then they have slowed down, no effort to have new powerful phones ready at upgrade time and lack of modern app support means I can't recommend or use this lovely OS. I'm sure they will put lots of effort into Win10 but a change in name doesn't mean a change in the company behind it. I really hope the cross platform will mean the OS release is able to compete, mostly for us users because if it isn't then MS will probably get bored again and forget us.

another reason hipsters shoudn't code. they get bored with stuff easy and succumb to fads and crap... look at google and what they are pulling now. they change stuff with youtube every hour, they add/remove features constantly, and they think in the worst ways with android lately. getting rid of battery stats and you now gotta root to have that because some yuppies are embarrased at having 18% or lower battery.... crap like that. the material design looks hideous and screams yuppie with all these garish colors and a UI that is fit for a toddler.

hipsters with normcore=skeomorphism returning. gross, garish, and needs to die.

metro make more sense, friendly, to the point, and not pretentious.

• Like 2

i liked a lot of theverge stuff, but i also though a lot of the articles are pretty heavily biased one way or another.   much less neutral then here.

so i guess they are hating on Windows Phone because they like Apple? and that is why you did not read?

i mean, i would still read the article on topic that interest me. this article seen to have a point.

or are you just not comfortable with the fact Win Phone is not what it should have being?

Good reasoning, if some one does not blindly praise failed product then they are biased. 

• Like 2

Here are the main problems with Windows Phone in my opinion:

1. The Metro Tile UI is ugly and pigeonholes users into a specific workflow.

2. Lack of customisation. Coming from Android, the OS seems very rigid and bereft of options.

3. Built-in apps are poor quality compared to iOS and Android.

4. No side-loading, file system access, or debug bridge.

5. Paucity of quality official apps. And even the ones that are present are often left to rot (zombie apps) or have limited functionality. Local/country based apps are practically non-existent.

6. Where's the diversity of mid-high range models? Although Microsoft has flooded the low-end market by selling its Lumia line at a loss, flagship devices are conspicuously absent. The only choices are Microsoft's Lumia 1520 or HTC's recycled-Android-hardware like the M8 (No doubt the result of significant financial incentives from Redmond).

7. Slow and unexciting upgrades. There's always something cool and innovative coming from the Android and iOS camps. Conversely, WP updates seem underwhelming.

The platform has improved, that's indisputable, but it's nowhere near good enough for people familiar with the advantages of Android and iOS.