Apple is being investigated for anti-competitive practices in Canada

Apple's Canadian arm is being investigated by Canada's Competition Bureau for allegations it used anti-competitive practices to negotiate deals with Canadian cell carriers, Reuters reports.

The Competition Bureau ? Canada's antitrust watchdog ? wouldn't say who made the allegations, but did say Apple is being looked at for putting clauses that would hinder competition in its contracts with carriers. While it has sought a court order compelling Apple to hand over records related to the investigation, the Competition Bureau wouldn't reveal whether it has gone after corresponding records kept by Canadian carriers.

No official charges have been filed against Apple, and the Competition Bureau noted that no evidence has been found that could corroborate the allegations. In an email to Reuters, Competition Bureau spokesman Greg Scott did say "should evidence indicate that the Competition Act has been contravened, the Commissioner will take appropriate action."

More...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/11/7378113/apple-is-being-investigated-for-anti-competitive-practices-in-canada

This should surprise no one. Rogers took a bath on the previous generation of Blackberry devices, in lieu of selling the latest and greatest iPhones, especially to their corporate customers.

If I was to bet money, I'd say the allegations were done by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund that own's part of the Toronto Maple Leafs and were heavily invested in Blackberry. 

Ya they have this backwards.. HOW about they investigate Canada's Wireless Carriers FIRST.. Then they can move on to their landline, cable/dish, and internet services.. THEN they can look at Apple..

• Like 1

nice. that's one i haven't seen before. a lot more descriptive than robelus.

hey, i quite like bell in comparison to rogers.

in my 15 years experience with various rogers services, i have never seen them refund me money.

bell adjusted my bills retroactively and refunded me large sums of money after a short conversation, where i explained i forgot to change my plan back after a trip... 

i was overpaying for 3 months! and got money back anyway.

rogers could not return me the overuse fees even though i changed the plan before the next billing date!!!    i god damn HATE rogers.

telus was wonderful in service too, but i had a local community sales office i dealt with, where the lovely Asian girl remembered my name, and would recognize me immediately and help me, even if i only called every 2 years!

pricing is high everywhere.    but customer service is THE WORST at rogers!     sometimes i would spend 1.5 hours with them, and seem to have resolve the matter. only to find out it was not fixed on my next bill!

but i digress....   mobile providers cartel is still terrible.  cannot have any fair competition.  and they late payment chargers is a huge income for that, i am sure. 

i would check my mail everyday, and i would get a bill, with a due date 2 days from now!  if i pay online, it takes a few business days to process.

anyway, even if i pickup the bill and pay next morning, i would still pay close to $1 in late fees.     imagine how much money they are collecting, from their user base!!! 

######ing RIPOFF

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/11/us-apple-canada-idUSKBN0JP23H20141211 

^The original Reuters Story btw, for those who didn't read in in The Verge link.

Most interesting part, also included in part in The Verge story:

The bureau said no wrongdoing by Apple's Canadian arm has been found so far, without stating who made the allegations.