How often do you use Windows store and its apps in windows 10 tech preview?

Hi guys

During your test of Windows 10 technical preview, How often do you use windows store?

How many useful apps have you found that you pretty much like them?

I'm asking this question because unlike all other services of Microsoft, windows Store is blocked in Iran, and After i logged in to windows 10 with my account, I found out that It will never work with my IP address.

I figured out that i wouldn't be able to use the  skype that comes with windows 10 because that follows windows store procedures, It wouldn't connect because of my IP.

I don't know, despite of listing my country in outlook, despite of sending Farsi  message to my Iranian phone for validation and also one drive and free office services, Why win store should block the IP of my computer. (I know because of the sanctions),  but other companies do not block access to  their stores, because we can actually buy validated gift cards here.

So yeah, what other useful apps i'll be missing?

Do you think that i should not consider windows 10 because I can't access the store?

Thanks for any info!

Cheers

Hadi

You could use a VPN to get around the block, however to be honest i don't really think you are missing anything unless you plan to use Windows 10 on tablet. I use the weather app randomly and that's it.

I expect I might find the store useful as Windows 8 develops more, however at this moment in time i personally have no real use for it unless on a tablet.

• Like 1

I generally avoid it. The only apps I use are XE.com (currency converter) and Random Password Generator (self-explanatory). You're not missing much, though obviously it is a shame that you are being blocked at all.

• Like 1

@InsaneNutter,   @theyarecomingforyou
Thanks for your replies.
I think i'll use a vpn to see if there's something that I like; although using a VPN drops my connection from  200KB/S to  something like 80KB/S lol. The censorship firewall is very strong here.

Thanks
Cheers
Hadi

Hi guys

During your test of Windows 10 technical preview, How often do you use windows store?

How many useful apps have you found that you pretty much like them?

I'm asking this question because unlike all other services of Microsoft, windows Store is blocked in Iran, and After i logged in to windows 10 with my account, I found out that It will never work with my IP address.

I figured out that i wouldn't be able to use the  skype that comes with windows 10 because that follows windows store procedures, It wouldn't connect because of my IP.

I don't know, despite of listing my country in outlook, despite of sending Farsi  message to my Iranian phone for validation and also one drive and free office services, Why win store should block the IP of my computer. (I know because of the sanctions),  but other companies do not block access to  their stores, because we can actually buy validated gift cards here.

So yeah, what other useful apps i'll be missing?

Do you think that i should not consider windows 10 because I can't access the store?

Thanks for any info!

Cheers

Hadi

I think the problem might occur some time down the road when Microsoft tries to change the way in which they charge for things and the Windows store will be *the* place to get all updates and upgrades through as the control is retired in favour of the Settings 'Modern UI'. All I can suggest is Viva Revolution because it's the only way that the doors to the world will be opened up in the future.

I find I use modern apps in Windows 10 more than I do on my main 8.1 machine. Honestly for me windowed modern apps are a refreshing change from standard win32 applications. And the universal app concept is kinda cool to see in action (synced app settings etc).

• Like 1

I find I use modern apps in Windows 10 more than I do on my main 8.1 machine. Honestly for me windowed modern apps are a refreshing change from standard win32 applications. And the universal app concept is kinda cool to see in action (synced app settings etc).

Just a quick question: When it comes to windows modern applications - do the content inside the window scale based on how big/small the window is set by the end user? I remember watching many videos regarding WinRT framework and Microsoft developers talking about making sure your interface can scale from small screens all the way to large screens and I'm wondering in the case of the Settings application have they made it so? Regarding win32 applications - looking back I don't think there are many that are pure win32 applications - Adobe's own suite comes to mind in regards to a customer UI and I wonder how many more software titles out there are merely touching the edge of the win32 API but not fully integrated it as part of their development.

I know they have cleaned up a lot of the crappy, fraudulent apps in the Windows Store, but there are still so many.

THey rushed so hard to get apps out, and to get as many as they could to try and compete with Apple, they didn't care to check on the apps - just paid app devs their standard $250 for whatever junk they submitted.

So you get all of the d-bags from middle east submitting VLC "instruction apps" selling for $5.00 - an app that tells you how to get VLC for free...

Crap like this, and the fact Foxit app was a little buggy made me not want to mess with it... I hope they are continuing their effort to clean it up.

I know they have cleaned up a lot of the crappy, fraudulent apps in the Windows Store, but there are still so many.

THey rushed so hard to get apps out, and to get as many as they could to try and compete with Apple, they didn't care to check on the apps - just paid app devs their standard $250 for whatever junk they submitted.

So you get all of the d-bags from middle east submitting VLC "instruction apps" selling for $5.00 - an app that tells you how to get VLC for free...

Crap like this, and the fact Foxit app was a little buggy made me not want to mess with it... I hope they are continuing their effort to clean it up.

Unfortunately what they should have done was firstly focus on quality rather than quantity and secondly I would have loved them to let developers sell desktop applications through the app store as long as they're packaged up using the appx format and without the sorts of restrictions that they placed on WinRT based applications.