Data Deleted When Transferred Onto Windows 8/8.1

Hi everyone,

Quick question that has been bugging us at work.  We have a problem which occurs whenever we take a hard drive out of a system for data transfer.  Everytime we copy data from our system (we have 2, both running 7 and 8.1) onto the drive, once we put it back into the original system and boot up, it appears to be deleted.

At the minute we are using the network to transfer files over and they stay there, but transferring 300GB+ over a network is torture.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

My guess/vote is move vs copy ;)

Or other is they are taking permissions when they move it, since unless these are domain machines they would have to. and then not taking them back when they move the disk back.

Moving 300GB over a network should take about 1.5 hours.. What I would do is zip up what you want to move so its one large file vs lots of tiny files and move it that way. Any modern network should be seeing at min 50MBps so your at 1.5 to 2 hours tops for such a move. If your trying to do over wireless vs gig, then yeah that could be painful ;)

Are you creating any partitions during the transfer or is it to an previously created destination?

No I'm not creating any partitions.

Are you sure you're not just moving directories accidentally? I've not head of or witnessed such an issue

I am copying the data from our drive to the customer's drive.  Its still on our PC but when we fire up the customers PC after putting the data on it is gone.

My guess/vote is move vs copy ;)

Same as above, its still on our PCs just not the customer's after we have transferred it there, its really weird :/

Can you access the transferred package on the new drive from the old system after transfer and have you tried reinstalling the drive in the old system to see if the data reappears?

This indeed a puzzling problem. I suggest you create a seperate partition for that data whilst it is still in it's own system. Then move it to your system and transfer the data into that empty partition and see what happens.

I am familiar with this behavior for machines running Windows 8. If you put a drive back in the system it will show you what was on the drive before and NOT what is on there currently. This is because Windows 8 does not truly shut down by default. It uses a form of hibernation called a hybrid shutdown, and this appears to cache the file system structures. If you remove and format a non-system drive, it will even still show all the nonexistent files on there until you restart.

Don't copy data to a drive that is in the hybrid shutdown state. Shut it down fully before copying the data. To do this, hold the shift key while you click shutdown or click restart instead.

I am familiar with this behavior for machines running Windows 8. If you put a drive back in the system it will show you what was on the drive before and NOT what is on there currently. This is because Windows 8 does not truly shut down by default. It uses a form of hibernation called a hybrid shutdown, and this appears to cache the file system structures. If you remove and format a non-system drive, it will even still show all the nonexistent files on there until you restart.

Don't copy data to a drive that is in the hybrid shutdown state. Shut it down fully before copying the data. To do this, hold the shift key while you click shutdown or click restart instead.

Awesome. Thanks for that. Thinking about it, it makes perfect sense.