Explorer.exe epic failings in Win10 TP 9879

Has anyone had any serious problems with Windows Explorer ? both the file manager, and the taskbar/Start menu/systray?

If I use Microsoft's file explorer for more than a few minutes, it breaks badly. The search and address boxes invert their colors, the drive/favorites selections blacks out, and the text... Well, the text looks almost like Chicago, the old Apple Mac OS font from the '90s. And it pretty much locks up.

As for the taskbar, buttons/icons disappear (I have about a dozen things pinned ? Chrome, Winamp, VLC, Handbrake, Steam, etc.), systray icons and the clock disappear, things get unresponsive.

I can fix it by logging out and then logging back in to Windows. Shorter term fix is CTRL+ALT+DEL, Task Manager, force quit Explorer, then re-start it via the Run command built into the task manager.

Yes, I'm sure Linux alphas have dragons ahead as well. :)

I want to be a Linux user. My wife prefers Ubuntu to Windows 8. (She really does not like Windows 8.) However, I'm a gamer and I'm committing to Windows for at least the next couple years. I built an above-average (but not great) gaming rig in 2011. It's still a decent machine, but some of the newer games might tax it. Come tax time, I'll upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM to modern specs, but the graphics card will only hold up for another year or maybe two. When that time comes, I may go PlayStation for gaming and Linux for computing. But for now I'm sticking with Windows, because that's what runs most of my games.

I have had issues with explorer and taskbar. The icons from the start button and say maybe 3 to the right would dissapear, explorer would crash a lot. One time the scroll to the left where favorites, desktop onedrive is located would blink. Meaning appear then dissapear. Randomly even if there is no need for a scroll "nothing expanded". I was thinking it was either display fusion or actual multiple monitors on the taskbar part. Some features work for one and not the other. I have since reverted back to windows 8.1. Restaring explorer does fix this problem but I got tired of doing it over and over again. I'm not saying it was these programs but just what i think. I have not tried running windows without at least one of these 2 programs. If this did'nt occur then I would stay with windows 10.

I forgot to mention that explorer does this thing when it gets wonky where the buttons on the ribbon would go blank and react to the mouse over it. Like a rectangle where the button should be.

If I use Microsoft's file explorer for more than a few minutes, it breaks badly. The search and address boxes invert their colors, the drive/favorites selections blacks out, and the text... Well, the text looks almost like Chicago, the old Apple Mac OS font from the '90s. And it pretty much locks up.

As for the taskbar, buttons/icons disappear (I have about a dozen things pinned ? Chrome, Winamp, VLC, Handbrake, Steam, etc.), systray icons and the clock disappear, things get unresponsive.

Sounds like the video card is failing to draw things properly. What model is it, and what driver version is in use? Do you have a temperature readout on it? Have you already submitted feedback on the issue?

It does look like video drivers circa Windows 98, but it's only in the file manager, taskbar, systray, and Start menu. Nothing else.

The one question I can answer, being 7 hours away from the machine, is that it's an Asus Radeon HD6850. The drivers are whatever Windows Update found. No temperature readout. And I do believe I submitted feedback via the feedback app.

Alternatively you can just right click on the Windows Explorer and left click on restart. Yes it has issues... small in comparison to say running updates in linux.

I haven't run in any issues using pre-release versions of Linux. Running updates in Linux using Synaptic is generally much smoother than running updates in Windows.

Back on topic, so far I haven't had any issues with build 9879. It could be a side process like thumbnail generation that makes Explorer toss its marbles.

• Like 2

Has anyone had any serious problems with Windows Explorer ? both the file manager, and the taskbar/Start menu/systray?

I can fix it by logging out and then logging back in to Windows. Shorter term fix is CTRL+ALT+DEL, Task Manager, force quit Explorer, then re-start it via the Run command built into the task manager.

I thought they released a patch for that last week?. It was happening to me too.  so far a day with 9901 and it hasn't happened yet...

I thought they released a patch for that last week?. It was happening to me too.  so far a day with 9901 and it hasn't happened yet...

They did. Did not fix my issue. I did a clean install worked fine for a day. Installed patch in still borked.

They did. Did not fix my issue. I did a clean install worked fine for a day. Installed patch in still borked.

Pity,with mine I had it down to one of three things causing it, a USB Bluetooth adapter, a usb wifi adapter and jdownloader, never figured out which for sure though

Alternatively you can just right click on the Windows Explorer and left click on restart. Yes it has issues... small in comparison to say running updates in linux.

What's so hard about running updates on Linux?  Just about every single distro available offers a guified way to install updates where you literally just click "Install" when it tells you updates are available, and it updates literally anything and everything from Adobe Flash Player to Google Chrome to the Linux kernel.  I always thought updates in Windows were MUCH harder because you had to hunt down the individual website for every single non-Microsoft application you had installed, and/or leave a bazillion independent update daemon processes running in the background for all of those non-MS apps to check for updates on their own.  In Linux even many 3rd party apps just add their repository to your list so that you still use the same single update daemon and it just checks one additional server for updates.

Edit: I forgot to mention the most painful part of Windows Update....

Configuring updates, stage 2 of 3.......

An hour later, reboot

Configuring updates, stage 3 of 3......

A lot later, reboot again

On the original topic, I've had issues with the transparencies in 10 in the VM.  I also hate the fact that the option to create a local only user account does not appear (upon install) unless you just jam in fakeuser@whateverdomain and enter a random password so it can try and fail to sign into that Windows Live account.  When I install the VirtualBox video driver font rendering in IE goes to pot so all I get is white squares of various sizes, and the transparencies all go black randomly.  Images still display just fine, and text outside of IE seems fine too, and prior to the VirtualBox drivers everything was fine.  I won't blame that one on MS though, because it's very hard to plan for every single hardware combination, especially in a pre-release OS, and historically Windows has had pretty poor out of the box hardware support because they know PC vendors are gonna install their own drivers and things anyway before the computer ever makes it to the point-of-sale.

Pity,with mine I had it down to one of three things causing it, a USB Bluetooth adapter, a usb wifi adapter and jdownloader, never figured out which for sure though

I am just going to wait for next release.

I love Linux... It likes to break when you update the graphics drivers or system kernels though. Maybe after Wayland is fully released but until then Ill stick with Windows 10. You get what you pay for.

You're joking right? Linux has a real package manager unlike Windows. I can update my entire system with a single succinct command, and because it's rolling release, It's constantly updated. No big upgrades, which often fail/bork the system, or having to reinstall from scratch. Good luck getting that on Windows.

I love Linux... It likes to break when you update the graphics drivers or system kernels though. Maybe after Wayland is fully released but until then Ill stick with Windows 10.

I love how you attempt to shift the blame and justify the problems with Windows 10 by trying to establish that it's still better than the alternatives lol.

As for your claims - complete nonsense. My system (Arch Linux) has been running stable and without a single break for the past three years since installing to my newest SSD. I don't have to do big upgrades (rolling release), defragment disks, manually update third party applications, deal with malware or bloated antivirus apps running the background, or suffer from winrot. Can you say the same?

You get what you pay for.

If that were the case, it wouldn't take over a decade for Windows to get some of the features Linux has, such as multiple workspaces, a real package manager, and a built-in software repository, would it?

I still have tons of crashes. I've been trying to narrow it down so I formatted like 3 times and only installed certain stuff and no matter what it still crashed after installing drivers.

This is constant crashing like every 0.5 seconds so its not usable in that state so I just format and try again. I have tried not installing anything and eventually after a few reboots it starts again.

I still have tons of crashes. I've been trying to narrow it down so I formatted like 3 times and only installed certain stuff and no matter what it still crashed after installing drivers.

This is constant crashing like every 0.5 seconds so its not usable in that state so I just format and try again. I have tried not installing anything and eventually after a few reboots it starts again.

Interesting.

I have not had any crashes -- running rock solid, so far.

(Not everything functions as it should tho.)

Maybe because this is a new PC.

My T440s is new also too.

I even installed the updates which should solve the explorer crashes on the system and ONLY that update and reboot and it starts crashing. This is after a full clean format. Lol

9860 was rock solid there so I might just go back to that to play around some more.

^ Get the newest Windows 9901 build, if you can find it.

Tested that too via the 9901.zip file and get the samething. Its literally just a reboot and log in then Explorer.exe crashes every 0.5 seconds and restart. I can open task manager but the crashing is so rapid its hard to select anything to "End Task" or "Restart". I will try getting a video of it instead possibly. 

Or download the hot fix from yesterday.

Did a clean install yesterday and downloaded EVERYTHING from Windows Update and rebooted and then it started the crashing. My Windows update for 9879 was about 9 updates for Windows Technical and then a few drivers from Windows Update as well. Still crashes.

I love Linux... It likes to break when you update the graphics drivers or system kernels though.

Sounds like you attempted to install those things yourself, rather than installing them from the package manager (e.g. Synaptic).

If you go and replace critical components like the kernel all by yourself, you should better know what you're doing (and what kernel you can use for replacement), or you could shoot yourself in the foot.

Stay with the package manager, unless you know what to look out for when installing a kernel manually.

Ill stick with Windows 10. You get what you pay for.

By that argumentation, the Windows 10 preview would be crap as well, because you don't pay anything for it either :rofl:

I love how you attempt to shift the blame and justify the problems with Windows 10 by trying to establish that it's still better than the alternatives lol.

As for your claims - complete nonsense. My system (Arch Linux) has been running stable and without a single break for the past three years since installing to my newest SSD. I don't have to do big upgrades (rolling release), defragment disks, manually update third party applications, deal with malware or bloated antivirus apps running the background, or suffer from winrot. Can you say the same?

If that were the case, it wouldn't take over a decade for Windows to get some of the features Linux has, such as multiple workspaces, a real package manager, and a built-in software repository, would it?

Come on now, they can't put all features they had so much work in copying into a single Windows release, they still need to have some left for future Windows releases. :shifty:

Besides, it's better if they copy stuff from Linux or Mac than having them light up their crack pipes for inspiration and thus getting crackpot ideas like Metro and tiles :laugh: