Yahoo Starts Prompting Chrome Users To

Yahoo Starts Prompting Chrome Users To ?Upgrade? To Firefox

If you?re visiting any Yahoo property today, chances are you?ll see an ?Upgrade to the new Firefox? link in the top-right corner of your browser window. The prompt also appears if you?re using Internet Explorer, Opera and even the new Yandex browser. However, the prompt is missing from Safari, which will surely prompt a new round of speculation about Apple?s rumored switch to Yahoo as its default search engine.

Given that Firefox now uses Yahoo as its default search engine, this move doesn?t come as a huge surprise. Yahoo clearly wants as many people as possible to use Firefox ? and with it its search engine (which is powered by Microsoft Bing).

2014-12-12_1139.png?w=532&h=186

Firefox?s user share has dropped quite a bit over the last few years, so Mozilla has no objections to putting the Firefox logo in front of as many Yahoo users as possible. Changing the default search engine in Firefox is trivial (and Firefox recently made it even easier), but most users never bother to make the switch. The new Yahoo Search design for Firefox users also looks pretty much exactly like Google?s, so some users may not even notice the difference.

It?s still too early to know whether the Yahoo/Mozilla deal made any difference in terms of market share for either of the two organizations, but chances are we?ll see at least a small uptick in Yahoo?s numbers come January.

Source: TechCrunch

I noticed that when checking my fantasy football stuff. I just ignore it, although I do use firefox as an alternate to chrome.

I don't get the notification in Safari 8. It does show up in Chrome however.

what's your take on this? a simple business deal between yahoo and mozilla? if so what's your thoughts on that? I've heard alot of negative from yahoo the last several months

my thoughts are, there IS a deal.

what's your take on this? a simple business deal between yahoo and mozilla? if so what's your thoughts on that? I've heard alot of negative from yahoo the last several months

my thoughts are, there IS a deal.

It is a business deal. Mozilla's main source of income used to be the money from Google in return for having Google as default search. For whatever reason renewing the Google deal fell through, and Yahoo stepped in.

Not much of an upgrade if you ask me. :p

^

This

Firefox always felt half-baked and clunky to me and was always noticeably slower than chrome and IE no matter what machine I used it on.

Yahoo financially benefits from people 'upgrading' to Firefox. It's a sleazy business practice but unfortunately it's common in the search market, like the way Microsoft installs the Bing bar by default with Skype.

Yahoo financially benefits from people 'upgrading' to Firefox. It's a sleazy business practice but unfortunately it's common in the search market, like the way Microsoft installs the Bing bar by default with Skype.

Kind of like how Adobe Flash installs Google Chrome or how Oracle Java installs Ask Jeeves?

Oh wait, doesn't Microsoft own Skype?

Kind of like how Adobe Flash installs Google Chrome or how Oracle Java installs Ask Jeeves?

Yes. It's a sleazy business practice.

Oh wait, doesn't Microsoft own Skype?

I always thought Adobe installs McAfee Security Scan.

• Like 1

Toshiba kind of does this practise too. whenever I get a new laptop, I immediately uninstall the norton bloatware. I wonder if yahoo is getting a kick back from mozilla or the other way around?

seems like a common practise.

I was going to joke that I'd rather use Alta Vista than Yahoo.

However, I'm am surprised to discover that a) Alta Vista still exists and b) It is now owned by Yahoo! (redirecting to Yahoo! since 2013)

I'd rather use Archie than Yahoo!

This reminds me of the early days with Win98 where all the websites where telling people to upgrade to IE6, happening all over again...sheeh, people should be allowed to use whatever browser they want. Keep the web open