Father-in-Law wants a "premium Windows Phone

Good Evening,

My father-in-law has been an iPhone user since 2007. He currently has an iPhone 5S and will be upgrading to the iPhone 6 in a couple of months. However, Windows Phone has caught his attention, specifically the HTC One M8. Question is, should he wait a couple months for newer premium quality Windows Phones that might be on the horizon? He is not loyal to any one company or operating system. He just wants a nice looking phone that works. Thanks!

Honestly I would wait. I was actually at the AT&T Store today looking for a new phone and no Windows Phones caught my attention. I would have considered a Lumia 830 if it was priced at around half of what they were asking. Everyone is really waiting for whatever the next 900/1000 series Lumia. Not sure what is taking them so long, but at this point they might as well get their stuff together and have their next phone launch with Windows 10 on it.

Wait till CES(january 6-9) is over, a lot of new phones will be announced then ^^

Which means also the current models will become cheaper when there is a new model announced :D

• Like 2

Thanks fellas! I'm not properly educated on the whole Windows Phone release cycle but I know I haven't seen anything new here on Neowin announced. Dot, the 1020 might be to big for his needs. I believe thats the reason he asked me about the M8. It kind of resembles the iPhone he is leaving. So the M8 is old news in the Windows Phone world?

I think the M8 is only a half a year old at this point, the only question would be is if you trust HTC/your Dad's carrier to deliver updates to the handset in your Dad's ideal timeframe of use. Personally, I find it hard to trust OEMs outside of Microsoft itself to deliver timely updates.

Thanks fellas! I'm not properly educated on the whole Windows Phone release cycle but I know I haven't seen anything new here on Neowin announced. Dot, the 1020 might be to big for his needs. I believe thats the reason he asked me about the M8. It kind of resembles the iPhone he is leaving. So the M8 is old news in the Windows Phone world?

It's not old news. I think it's one of the latest. Seems to be pretty good but the camera is just average. It has the Snapdragon 801 and 1080p screen and even has a microSD slot, so that's pretty good stuff.

I think the M8 is only a half a year old at this point, the only question would be is if you trust HTC/your Dad's carrier to deliver updates to the handset in your Dad's ideal timeframe of use. Personally, I find it hard to trust OEMs outside of Microsoft itself to deliver timely updates.

Aww, good point. I had that problem with my old Samsung Focus.

It's not old news. I think it's one of the latest. Seems to be pretty good but the camera is just average. It has the Snapdragon 801 and 1080p screen and even has a microSD slot, so that's pretty good stuff.

I'm looking at some reviews on YouTube vs the iPhone 6. Looks like a good phone.

Only warning with Windows Phones, although it's a solid OS there is a distinct lack of quality apps for it.  If it's just a phone/email/messaging service that's dandy, but you might think again if he does more than that.

Hello,

I purchased a HTC One M8, and it is more of an evolutionary upgrade over the Nokia Lumia 920 I used before it.  Verizon has a carrier exclusive for the Nokia Lumia Icon, which I would have considered, but that is a Verizon-only carrier exclusive in the US right now.

As has been suggested, wait and see what is announced at CES next month.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I wouldn't expect anything at CES.  However, Microsoft will be at MWC in February and will be announcing Windows 10 so I would expect some new hardware announcements to go with it.  I wouldn't expect a new top-end Lumia to be available until Q3 after that.

The M8 is a premium phone and, if the rumours are correct, HTC will be releasing WP and Android versions of their next top-end phone shortly.  Maybe at MWC.

Yeah they did a great job in making sure Verizon pushes the 8.1 update for the Icon ;)

In the US, it matters more on the carrier than the OEM.

Verizon is notorious from blocking OTAs to devices.

The One M8 for windows phone will remain a good phone even after the new devices are announced, and it'll also be eligible for upgrade to Windows 10 for Phones, so if you can't wait until after the spring, that would be my choice (currently a Lumia 925 owner).