Windows 10: New leaked screenshots reveal brand new UI for Settings; death of Control Panel?

As such, putting a Windows 8-style control panel into Windows 10 would be a very bad idea.

The Windows 8 Control Panel is the same as the Windows 7 one, and similar to the Vista and XP ones. So yes, continuing to use that design when everything else is being modified/updated/refreshed/outright remade would be out of place and a huge mistake.

Sorry, but the legacy CP needs removed. Windows 10 is a universal OS, and as such, needs universal components.

How do you know if they are just gona improve the old stuff? 

How do you know if they are just gona improve the old stuff?

They're deprecating the old CP in the newest builds of 10.

Sorry, but the legacy CP needs removed. Windows 10 is a universal OS, and as such, needs universal components.

Pretty much the same category view from previous versions of Windows. Really nothing that new about it.

Pretty much the same category view from previous versions of Windows. Really nothing that new about it.

However, some of the categories (let alone the contents OF those categories) are new and different.  Settings is a lot finer-grained than Control Panel - that much is obvious even to me.

Also, this is a multiplatform OS - not a single-platform OS;  Control Panel shows up ONLY in PC-derived devices (those that weren't phones, or XBOX ONE, etc.) - why bias the categories toward any device? (While I'm a PC user, even I get the trap about "biasing".)  There is no "Control Panel" in Windows Phone - even more telling, there is no Control Panel in Android, either.  What do both OSes use instead?  "Settings".  The only reason for "Control Panel" is to bias the OS in favor of PCs - which is utterly silly for a multiplatform OS.

I want a modern services.msc, regedit, and event viewer.

It's possible - what it requires is rethinking the container, which is the approach taken by Settings (and even mini-Start).  The Event Viewer is, in fact, more granular merely in Windows 8.x than in 7 (thanks to the redone Task Manager - which is, in fact, the container for Event Viewer; I haven't taken a look at EV in 9879 yet).  Services.msc is a snap-in - and specifically, one for Microsoft Management Console (the management platform for all non-mobile versions of Windows since the desktop/serve code-merge - it's also used by third-party management software for businesses of every size).  That third-party reliance on MMC is, in fact, part of the problem going forward (and for the same reason that the Start menu became a problem) a lot of tradition and cruft due to patch application instead of rewriting the container.  But can you rethink the container without breaking the plug-ins (especially third-party plug-ins from the likes Kace, Intel, H-P, etc.)?