Changing Motherboard - staying with same brand - reinstall OS?

Hi All,

I ordered a new motherboard today to enable me to go Tri-SLI and whilst researching I came across the fact that generally you will need to reinstall the OS when changing the motherboard.

At the same time however I found a few threads saying if you change to a different motherboard, but the brand and chipset is the same, you may only need to reactivate the OS.

So im going from:

Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 - chipset AMD 990X / SB950

to this:

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z - chipset AMD 990X / SB950

What are your thoughts, do you think I will need to reinstall?

Doesn't bother me either way as im getting myself prepared so I have everything to hand to reinstall.

Thanks

CG-88

I reinstall with any new system, Board or CPU. Otherwise Windows gets so confused now that the hardware has changed. I.E. chipset, I/O ports, different sound/ethernet, etc.

With new GPU, RAM, PSU, HDD, I wouldn't worry all too much.

You can try. Before I knew of this, even I did it before. But this was with 2000/XP, a whole less different parts.

You *might* not need to reinstall, but you will sure need to re-activate your windows. Be sure to, in the first boot after the mainboard swap, install all the drivers that it needs (download before the swap).

oh and btw: i swapped a new mainboard last year since my previous mainboard died; it was an Asus and i changed for a Gigabyte - didn't reinstall Windows at all, just removed all the Asus software and installed the new Gigabyte software / drivers (if i could i would remove the Asus software before the swap but since it was dead i had no choice but this way).

Windows is fairly device-agnostic as long as you are either using Microsoft's storage drivers or are swapping to a compatible motherboard if not (e.g. Intel RST).

As you're keeping to the same chipset configuration, I wouldn't bother unless you're unhappy with the current state of your installation.

You may have to re install, I went from an asus m2n sli deluxe to an asus rog crosshair v formula z and for the life of me, I couldn't get windows to work (bsod upon startup)

Uninstall ALL your old drivers first, preferably booted in Safe Mode, saves any headaches later on when reinstalling new ones. It'll be a good opportunity for you to get the latest versions too :)

thanks everyone. I think im just going to do the safe thing and reinstall. I had a quick look over everything I have installed and it wont take long and will also give me peace of mind :)

Cant wait, got this motherboard, and a new PSU coming tomorrow and will finally be able to take my third 770 out of its box lol

Why not just sysprep and generalize the install the before installing the new board? Then when you turn it back on it will install all the drives for the motherboard sorta like a first boot for Windows yet your account and applications will be intact. You'll have to create a new account, but you can delete the new one from your old one once to windows.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1229521-i-can%E2%80%99t-believe-i-only-just-now-learned-about-sysprep/

• Like 2

Why not just sysprep and generalize the install the before installing the new board? Then when you turn it back on it will install all the drives for the motherboard sorta like a first boot for Windows yet your account and applications will be intact. You'll have to create a new account, but you can delete the new one from your old one once to windows.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1229521-i-can%E2%80%99t-believe-i-only-just-now-learned-about-sysprep/

That is a good idea! I will look into that. I remember reading the thread you posted and thinking it would be useful but completely forgot about it. lol

I will look into it tonight.