Alien: Isolation's crafting design is too complicated!

Seriously, game UI designs are so bad in many AAA games these days.

I've been playing Alien: Isolation for about 15 minutes and I picked up my first "blueprint" (a medkit or something).

It told me to press Q to access crafting (although in reality, it's press and hold Q) and I was presented with this crapmess:

post-645-0-25642100-1418669758.png

I'm starting to lose hope with a lot of games these days.

I think I'm going to buy a Nintendo Wii U and have fun playing games again :/

A lot of people enjoy it, as it's appearing in more and more games. Adds hours to the gameplay as it turns any genre into a collection game in addition to whatever else it does.

Excessively complex skill trees are also a bad trend IMO.

A lot of people enjoy it, as it's appearing in more and more games. Adds hours to the gameplay as it turns any genre into a collection game in addition to whatever else it does.

Excessively complex skill trees are also a bad trend IMO.

I think he's talking more about the UI they used for crafting rather than about crafting itself.

Yep (Y)

I think it's a tricky one really. I mean, the interface has got to fit with the style of the game and what may have been available to them at that time. I'd say that is certainly the case for AI.

But then i do agree with you, the above may be the case but it could still be designed better.

What we really don't want though is for some dev to design the perfect crafting engine that then gets rinsed and repeated across every game for the next 20 years.