Controversial shooter 'Hatred' taken down from Steam Greenlight

Fair enough. While I don't have any issue with the game my concern is that it will bring Steam into disrepute, at a time when Valve is working hard on its Steam Machines project to compete with the likes of Microsoft and Sony.

Any more than GTA? Didn't Australia ban that? The point is, censorship should be left to the individual. A minority shouldn't be able to impose their version of morality on the majority. Governments have been trying to do that for decades unsuccessfully (copyright, anti-homosexuality laws, etc).

"Life of Brian" was once banned in the UK because a minority felt it offended the church. Today, such censorship seems draconian, yet it was considered justified at the time. I contend that this is no different. A small vocal minority shouldn't be able to dictate morality, at any level.

Cooler heads prevailed in this case and Gabe corrected the problem. Still, we must vigilant against self-appointed guardians of morality, for they exist everywhere. It wasn't necessarily someone external to Valve who was responsible. SJW's permeate every facet of society.

Any more than GTA? Didn't Australia ban that? The point is, censorship should be left to the individual. A minority shouldn't be able to impose their version of morality on the majority. Governments have been trying to do that for decades unsuccessfully (copyright, anti-homosexuality laws, etc).

"Life of Brian" was once banned in the UK because a minority felt it offended the church. Today, such censorship seems draconian, yet it was considered justified at the time. I contend that this is no different. A small vocal minority shouldn't be able to dictate morality, at any level.

There's a major difference between a private company deciding something isn't appropriate and the government doing so. I don't think anyone here has suggested it should be banned, just that it might not be appropriate for Steam.

There's a major difference between a private company deciding something isn't appropriate and the government doing so. I don't think anyone here has suggested it should be banned, just that it might not be appropriate for Steam.

I think Valve already made their point that they can remove whatever they want, and also for the record let it be known they are aware of it's nature. I doubt they were "pressured" to put it back up, it will probably be moderately successful for a greenlight game then it will fade away.

Steam initial removal of this game actually a slap into greenlight community voices, which pretty much voiced that they WANT this game.

Steam 180 moves probably because fearing the money veto backlash from greenlight members as they who actively buy anything from steam.

• Like 2

Steam initial removal of this game actually a slap into greenlight community voices, which pretty much voiced that they WANT this game.

And cannibals WANT to eat human flesh but that doesn't mean that's something that is supported by the overall population.

Steam 180 moves probably because fearing the money veto backlash from greenlight members as they who actively buy anything from steam.

Valve was never going to lose any sales as a result of this. It's a fringe title and people already have too much invested in Steam, as the people voting on Greenlight are some of those with the largest game libraries.

And cannibals WANT to eat human flesh but that doesn't mean that's something that is supported by the overall population.

unlike cannibals the greenlight community wont force you to buy games you do not want,

but when you faced cannibals face to face, they would try to eat your flesh anyway.

So are you still insist to equate the Steam Greenlight with cannibals?

Valve was never going to lose any sales as a result of this. It's a fringe title and people already have too much invested in Steam, as the people voting on Greenlight are some of those with the largest game libraries.

yeah, Valve knew better and not you or me, whomever most their money came from whether is from non greenlight members or not.

If I in Valve shoes, I certainly took my time to listen to my most valuable customers voices and use that to make more profits. How about You?

Are you suggesting that Valve should heed objection voices of non-customers at expense of valve's own costomers's voices?

Don't bother. People don't understand the difference between a private company choosing not to sell something and the state forbidding its citizens from owning something.

Steam is just a very small part of a very big system. People would just get the game else where, which provides Steam with less visitors and fewer potential sales for not only this game, but others.

So now Steam is just a small part of the system? Before, Steam was accused of controlling & influencing the market because of their position and ubiquity. Which one is it?

This removal and the subsequent back-flip must have the guys over at Destructive Creations rubbing their hands with glee. I imagine they can't believe their luck.

Any more than GTA? Didn't Australia ban that?

GTA V is not banned in Australia. Again, this is people confusing some retailers choosing not to stock something and the state banning something.

Due to a rather dishonest petition, which I have strongly criticised because of its dishonest and incoherent premise, some large retailers decided to remove it from their shelves. I think the decision was ill advised, but I accept that as a private company they can sell, or refuse to sell, whatever they like.

When GTA V comes out for PC, I'll be grabbing my copy. I just won't be able to buy it from any of the retailers who have decided not to stock it.

• Like 2

Looks as though it'll be getting put back up.. shame really.

I've been a gamer for.. well.. 26+ years I suppose and I accept that games will always push boundaries of what is considered decent, or acceptable. I really do feel in recent years things have gotten out of hand with the likes of Grand Theft Auto and similar - not because of their content, but because of the ease with which children are able to obtain these increasingly adult games, and how feckless and ignorant some parents seem to be about what's in them. It blows my mind. 

I watched boogie2988's video about the game and then went to watch the trailer and I can't deny I was rather surprised. Not sure it's the kind of game I can really get behind, or be enthusiastic for it's release frankly and it's a pretty sad milestone in gaming. 

Looks as though it'll be getting put back up.. shame really.

I've been a gamer for.. well.. 26+ years I suppose and I accept that games will always push boundaries of what is considered decent, or acceptable. I really do feel in recent years things have gotten out of hand with the likes of Grand Theft Auto and similar - not because of their content, but because of the ease with which children are able to obtain these increasingly adult games, and how feckless and ignorant some parents seem to be about what's in them. It blows my mind. 

I watched boogie2988's video about the game and then went to watch the trailer and I can't deny I was rather surprised. Not sure it's the kind of game I can really get behind, or be enthusiastic for it's release frankly and it's a pretty sad milestone in gaming. 

I agree with you. And I can't see myself playing a game running around killing innocents, particularly women. But I don't mind it being available. I think it's a win that Steam asserted their rights and took it down. In that time the developer walked back their support of hate/hate groups and Steam made it clear they decide what they publish.

It'll probably receive less attention now that's it's backup and watch dog groups have it and the devs on their radar. It's really a win-win. I'm interested in seeing how the finished game looks but without a doubt won't buy it. Would love a dungeon crawler with this engine the way it's looking now. There are far worse games that no one will publish and you have to download from the social groups that create them.

It was pleasing to see all of the mature progressive opinions. These types of things serve to educate many on what freedom of speech/expression is and is not, and the rights of private business, ToS, etc.

PS: The trailer murdering the female is still troublesome. I don't think anyone should be desensitized to such a thing, especially with today's graphic quality.