Student to raise money for homeless man who offered her his last

A 22-year-old university student is to live rough for 24 hours to raise money for a homeless man called Robbie who insisted on giving her his last ?3 so she could get a taxi home safely from Preston town centre.

Dominique Harrison-Bentzen, a Miss Preston finalist, had lost her bank card ? but only realised when she went to get money for a cab.

Her campaign to raise money has been retweeted by former Stone Roses singer Ian Brown.

Miss Harrison-Bentzen said: ?I suddenly realised that I had no money and a homeless man approached me with his only change of ?3.

?He insisted I took it to pay for a taxi to make sure I got home safe.

?I ended up posting a status on Facebook to try and find him the next day and it turns out I?m not the only person he has helped.?

Posters on Facebook said that Robbie had also helped them, returning wallets and offering his scarf when they were cold.

Miss Harrison-Bentzen aims to raise money for Robbie to rent a flat by spending 24 hours on the streets with him.

The University of Central Lancashire student continued: ?He has been homeless for seven months through no fault of his own and he can?t get work due to having no address.

?And I simply can?t just give him the money, I have to go through the right channels. So I will be spending 24 hours through the day and night as a homeless person to understand the difficulties they face each day.
Picture shows Dominique Harrison Bentzen.

?If people can sponsor me ?3 ? as Robbie attempted to give me his only ?3 ? in the hope of collecting enough to get Robbie a flat deposit so that he can be safe and warm.

?It?s just so overwhelming the response I?ve had. Even Ian Brown from the Stone Roses has tweeted about our event.?

Miss Harrison-Bentzen said she didn?t end up accepting Robbie?s offer ? but wants to pay him back for his generosity, to her and others who have since shared their stories.

To donate or get involved, visit Miss Harrison-Bentzen?s fundraising Facebook page or donate at http://www.gogetfunding.com/project/help-robbie-preston-s-homeless-hero

Source

• Like 2

:happy: still some good people left.

We are very sorry, but we are experiencing an unusually high number of visitors. We are attempting to address the capacity issues. Please try again later.

Is up and running now for donations.

?29,496.03 -- so far. :)

You only have the opportunity to donate to this project before Thursday Dec 18, 11:59 pm EDT

# James from Hong Kong said

Posted on Dec 17

Well done for taking the initiative Dominique. Lots of great people doing wonderful things in this world but sadly not always noticed or appreciated. Thank you for highlighting Robbie's act of kindness and his plight. Respect for spending a night on the streets - I've been there too. A helping hand out of the blue restores all faith in humanity. Wishing you and Robbie a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! James

60379.02cd7c11d1465d92c4bdb4cca892120a.j