Evolve's open beta will be running between January 15-19 on the Xbox One

Evolve's open beta will be running between January 15-19 on the Xbox One, accessible to Xbox Live Gold subscribers. Two monsters, the Goliath and the Kraken, and eight hunters will be available to play across 12 maps. There will also be smaller, invite-only closed tests on the PC and PS4 around that time.

Source: Kotaku

I got a few rounds in during the last beta, but it was not enough to get a complete picture.

The one point that is clear though is that team work against the monster is essential. The game play felt relatively balanced, but again, that was only when your team worked together using your unique abilities.

I only got to play as the monster once, but it was really fun. I like the evolution system. I didn't feel overwhelmed against the hunters, but a lot of that will depend on the skill of both sides.

I look forward to playing more and getting a better feel for all the class abilities and weapons.

Only managed two rounds in the last beta but I really didn't enjoy it. During the lead ups I heard about games lasting 10-15 minutes and the gameplay videos seemed to show that.

My first game lasted about 5 minutes and the monster got to lvl 3 and destroyed our machine before we even really got a shot off.

Second game was closer to 4 minutes and we killed it at the first encounter.

It just felt way to short both times with no drawn out long chasing battles. Definately want to try this again and hope it plays better but I'm nowhere near as hyped for this as I was.

• 2 weeks later...

I played really long games and played a lot too! The game is really good if you play as a team (if you are part of the hunters) otherwise the monster wins quick, and if you are the monster, well... just try to evolve quick. Can't wait till it is final!