Having a random flick through Youtube last night i come across this:

TheRadBrad - Silent Hills P.T. Demo Walkthrough Gameplay Part 1 - Unending (PS4)

(warning: this guys language and vocabulary is absolutely shocking)

It appears to be a teaser demo of the new Silent Hill engine, the guy playing it says he doesn't even think it's a representation of the final game, it's just to show it off.. I was absolutely blown away by it, i love survival horrors and this one genuinely had me jumping and on edge.

I'm guessing the release date for this is way off and may even be a PS4 exclusive (I'm PC exclusive).. are there any other games that have this sort of edge? something that can genuinely scare the ###### out of you?

I'm tempted to play through RE1 again but with the HD remake just around the corner it's probably best to wait... on my searches RE4 popped up a lot, a game i've never played, but videos on yt don't look remotely scary...Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

I think those Slender man games are supposed to be scary. I think the 2 Amnesia games are all supposed to be pretty scary.

Outlast is another title you might want to check out.

Silent Hill 2 was the first new game I played on the PC after purchasing a 5.1 speaker system. By the time I had everything set up, it was gone 11pm.

Babies crying, chains being dragged over concrate, random sudden sounds, air raid sirens and featurless sacks of skin crawling up from under cars when you're armed with a just flash-light - all within the first 20mins.

With Resident Evil, you're pretty much sure than most things are eventually going to try to eat you. With Silent Hill, they toy with you first.

Alien: Isolation is a really good one, play it on survivor and you'll be scurring around like a 5 year old looking for a toilet.

The great thing about it is when its after you, you know its there, you know its coming but you dont have the time to turn around and look to see if its right behind you or far enough away that you'll make it, so your running around knowing that you'll either make it or..... and because the sound is spot on its almost like its breathing down your neck.

Not to mention the fact thats its a GREAT game.

If you love the films, i'd call this a must buy.

Alien: Isolation is a really good one, play it on survivor and you'll be scurring around like a 5 year old looking for a toilet.

The great thing about it is when its after you, you know its there, you know its coming but you dont have the time to turn around and look to see if its right behind you or far enough away that you'll make it, so your running around knowing that you'll either make it or..... and because the sound is spot on its almost like its breathing down your neck.

Not to mention the fact thats its a GREAT game.

If you love the films, i'd call this a must buy.

Try it on the rift mate, it's poo your pants scary :o

No swearing in videos, texts or images, guys.

So not even a disclaimer warning people before it plays is good enough?  You realize you just knocked out a HUGE chunk of content adults might happen to enjoy watching/reading, right?

• Like 2

A video game -- scary ? Are you serious ? :huh:

Hey, the first Silent Hill scared the crap out of me when I was 12 or 13 playing it alone with the lights shut off at night, :P

So not even a disclaimer warning people before it plays is good enough?  You realize you just knocked out a HUGE chunk of content adults might happen to enjoy watching/reading, right?

Not my decision. I just enforce it.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2014 at 5:50 AM, Hum said:

A video game -- scary ? Are you serious ? :huh:

Consider Doom II - as serious as it gets.

At the midway point of the game, you walk through a portal into a room - and go from nothing to up-to-your-nose in demons - mostly cacodemons - in less than five seconds.    From "Oh yeah." to "Oh (censored)!!!!!"  Now consider that while in VR (as in the earliest VR devices for PC - which predate Windows 9x.

Alien games with lights off and headset on, for your missus to tap you on the shoulder, 1 clean pair of pants later and almost a smack in the chops for said missus as an involuntary reaction LMFAO. We still giggle about it from time to time now.

literally filled my undercrackers! Only game ive ever had nightmares about,, waking up screaming dam facehuggers!!! As the beeps of the locator device got quicker and quicker, she couldnt have timed it better. I screamed like a big girl! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Yogurth said:

My fav would be System Shock 2.

God yer, forgot about that! 

F.E.A.R also, the first time the little girl ran at you.

27 minutes ago, Mando said:

God yer, forgot about that! 

F.E.A.R also, the first time the little girl ran at you.

F.E.A.R  had those shock heartstopping moments, but for me SS2 was a non-stop "chill to the bone" fest. The sound direction was and still is incredible. I hope that the System Shock reborn releases will live up to their legacy. Unfortunately never played Alien games as at that time I was rocking Matrox g200 and these games were either Voodo only or unplayable on Matrox...time passed and I forgot about the franchise.